Author Topic: Catch & Release ... WHO & WHY?  (Read 18363 times)

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Catch & Release ... WHO & WHY?
« Reply #150 on: Dec 26, 2020, 04:42 PM »
I made the mistake of trying to clean a bowfin....once... never again 🤣 Friggin' ribs from gill plate clear down to the dang tail.

Love catching them, though. One of the rivers around here is thick with them in the spring during high water.

I mostly target redhorse, buffalo, and carp with an occasional bowfin/bass trip during open water season. Nice to see someone else giving the underdogs some love.

Their flesh is really soft too. I was able to get some beer batter on them. Truthfully it fried up fine and was ok eating, but if they were easier to deal with, they would have gone extinct a long time ago.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #151 on: Dec 26, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Maine waters are like this. The regs in Maine are ridiculous.

I hear the fishing is really great though. Many Vermonters that do get the chance to fish Maine want to go back and live there. Vermont has the most liberal bag limit for brook trout....12 fish, that is one thing we are proposing to change to align with the other New England states. 8 fish total whether they are brook, brown, or rainbows. Currently you can have 12 trout, but only 6 can be rainbows or browns, the rest can be brookies. We are also the only state where you can shoot pike in the springtime during the spawn, from deer stands, into the water. That a good old tradition up here!

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Dec 26, 2020, 04:56 PM »
I hear the fishing is really great though. Many Vermonters that do get the chance to fish Maine want to go back and live there. Vermont has the most liberal bag limit for brook trout....12 fish, that is one thing we are proposing to change to align with the other New England states. 8 fish total whether they are brook, brown, or rainbows. Currently you can have 12 trout, but only 6 can be rainbows or browns, the rest can be brookies. We are also the only state where you can shoot pike in the springtime during the spawn, from deer stands, into the water. That a good old tradition up here!

Yup... Because waters are actually managed there. No state wide this and that, for the most part.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Dec 26, 2020, 05:29 PM »
It amazes me when I go ice fishing to a local harbor on Lake Erie and people are keeping buckets of bluegill.  Really, you don’t need that many and by keeping buckets, I guarantee the population will go down.  You can see the issue of overfishing just on Lake Erie itself.  There used to be blue pike, I never have seen one, but overfishing decimated the species. 

When the walleye fishing was down on Lake Erie, people started keeping smallmouth and almost decimated that population, but now it is coming back, as the walleye fishing is fantastic.

Yellow Perch, used to be so easy to catch in Lake Erie and the last three years not as much.  You just can’t keep taking and taking and except the populations to continue.  There needs to be strict limits, but fair and they need to be enforced.  And sorry, you should not be filling your buddy’s freezers too and those people are the ones responsible if we see the fishery go down. 

All of this is common sense.   I love Ontario, Canada’s rules on limits, size limits on panfish, etc.  You go over the limit their and you can get huge fines, boats and everything taken away.  We need more States to do that.  Bluegill’s need limits in Ohio and size limits too. Sorry for the rant, but it is so annoying to see buckets of bluegills just getting taken. 

Respect the resources that we are given for everyone.  :)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #154 on: Dec 26, 2020, 06:40 PM »
I have no issues with calling a warden, what so ever.
More good would be done with a phone call (in this situation) than all the C&R you could do yourself.

waste of time to call. they don't even do anything when you car or home is broken into for cripes sakes!  they sure cant do anything about that or even attempt to for that matter.  the law is a waste of time. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Dec 27, 2020, 05:44 AM »
It amazes me when I go ice fishing to a local harbor on Lake Erie and people are keeping buckets of bluegill.  Really, you don’t need that many and by keeping buckets, I guarantee the population will go down.  You can see the issue of overfishing just on Lake Erie itself.  There used to be blue pike, I never have seen one, but overfishing decimated the species. 

I suspect an area that is capable of producing tons of bluegill (as you mention) is not in any danger of being fished out and more than likely, when such numbers are there, it is best practice to thin the herd. Regulation as to take should be instituted when populations are low and not when they are high, given one option in either scenario. JMO

Perfect example is the current walleye population and take numbers in lake Erie. Walleye will go cannibalistic and will have no choice but to do so, as they decimate their food supply. This is management 101 and Ohio is ignoring this fact. With populations at record numbers (for the great lake) limits should have been doubled and maybe tripled.
Instead, limits were kept as low as they were set when numbers were below norms. The result (long term) will be a crash across the board. Walleye/Perch will decline rapidly and for a long time before we see a rebound. Poor management does more harm than than good.

When the walleye fishing was down on Lake Erie, people started keeping smallmouth and almost decimated that population, but now it is coming back, as the walleye fishing is fantastic.

Salmon populations are through the floor in the same body of water and that fact has nothing to do with over fishing. Facts not withstanding, I heard plenty of people accusing fishermen of being the reason for the decline, until the truth of the matter became evident.
I personally have not met any walleye fisherman who opted to start small mouth fishing. Especially as table fare.
Not like I know everyone but I certainly would question the possibility of fence jumpers being the route cause.
I could be wrong.

Yellow Perch, used to be so easy to catch in Lake Erie and the last three years not as much.  You just can’t keep taking and taking and except the populations to continue.  There needs to be strict limits, but fair and they need to be enforced.  And sorry, you should not be filling your buddy’s freezers too and those people are the ones responsible if we see the fishery go down. 

Last 3 years has seen a dramatic rise in the perches top predator, the walleye. Walleye numbers (Ohio report) shows the highest population on record.
I suspect that has more to do with it, than fishing pressure.

All of this is common sense.   
I love Ontario, Canada’s rules on limits, size limits on panfish, etc.  You go over the limit their and you can get huge fines, boats and everything taken away.  We need more States to do that. 

Agreed.

Bluegill’s need limits in Ohio and size limits too. Sorry for the rant, but it is so annoying to see buckets of bluegills just getting taken. 

I hear you and I agree for the most part but then there are the instances where sunfish become so over populated that they effect other species.
Same goes for Walleye or any other fish, for the most part.

This is why water specific management is the only answer.

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Dec 27, 2020, 05:54 AM »
waste of time to call. they don't even do anything when you car or home is broken into for cripes sakes!  they sure cant do anything about that or even attempt to for that matter.  the law is a waste of time.

I guess it depends on where you are and who has the job. I hear you.
I moved to Ohio and called the wardens office 2 times for criminal acts. Nothing.

On the other hand, where I hail from a warden is going to appear out of the mist as soon as the call is made. LOL

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Dec 27, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Boy you must not have dealt with a Michigan dnr officer.... Them boys dont play no games... Ive called the dnr a couple times to get an officer out and they always show up.
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: Dec 27, 2020, 01:55 PM »
Small trout and small mouth get released, the trout, because the grow much bigger where I fish, and big ones get the release of life if the white perch are running.. smaliies taste like crap.IMHO, and I get a ton of them as by catch, so I'd exceeded my limit quickly if I kept them..
Crappie and white perch are not as lucky.

As a note, most unwanted fish are unhooked without removing them from the water if pissible.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Dec 27, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Boy you must not have dealt with a Michigan dnr officer.... Them boys dont play no games... Ive called the dnr a couple times to get an officer out and they always show up.

My experience in MN is the same. They take their job VERY seriously.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Dec 27, 2020, 03:24 PM »
My experience in MN is the same. They take their job VERY seriously.

Nys 2 I called on some guys catching there limit of walleyes 3-4 times a day they showed up and called me back when to let me know what was found 
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #161 on: Dec 27, 2020, 03:36 PM »

I fish several counties and found them to be more than willing to come if called ,

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #162 on: Dec 27, 2020, 04:09 PM »

no im in Indiana not Michigan.  very limited on officer numbers here.

and call you to tell you what they found? baaaah, that's a joke here.  already been here that's why I have my opinion.

OANN the real story

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Dec 27, 2020, 04:33 PM »
no im in Indiana not Michigan.  very limited on officer numbers here.

and call you to tell you what they found? baaaah, that's a joke here.  already been here that's why I have my opinion.

Yes the NYS officer that checked these guys and called me back to tell me what he found. I don't believe what he told me as I saw with my own eyes what they where bringing in 3-4 times a day.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #164 on: Dec 28, 2020, 06:55 AM »
that is another thing.  I have had law enforcement lie to me a couple time over the years.  so I don't trust any of them anymore.

what is he going to do if they only walk off with a limit every time.  unless he set there and watches them come back numerous times in a day they can never get caught.

OANN the real story

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Dec 28, 2020, 09:37 AM »
wardens will take to the trees during the Maumee walleye runs. They would never get away with that kind of stuff there.

that is another thing.  I have had law enforcement lie to me a couple time over the years.  so I don't trust any of them anymore.

what is he going to do if they only walk off with a limit every time.  unless he set there and watches them come back numerous times in a day they can never get caught.

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #166 on: Dec 28, 2020, 12:19 PM »
I c/r a couple times or more a season while ice fishing in memory of people who have passed away during the previous year . . This year I'll c/r a few days in memory of my Mom who passed this year . . I'll hold up the fish and say this one is for you . . She use to take me when I was young . .  ;)

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Dec 28, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Here rivers are not stocked so the fish are wild fish, perhaps not native, but wild. I c&r river caught fish (trout).  Lakes here are stocked, some may have natural reproduction, some do not.  I generally keep what I catch if I'm icefishing.  Some lakes have booming populations of non native fish that are not stocked - I'll keep those if thats what we're targeting (we have lake superior whitefish in a few lakes for example).  We have northern pike now in most of our rivers and lakes in western, MT.  They really don't belong here,  but they are here.  I don't release pike, ever.

Seems that individual bodies of water need specific plans at times.  There are some smaller lakes around with masive overpopulations of yellow perch and not enough fishing or predators to control them.  The bucket brigade has put in pike to 'help' so now we have pike and stunted perch.  Seems there ought to be a way to manage it better, but I don't know how.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #168 on: Dec 28, 2020, 01:52 PM »
wardens will take to the trees during the Maumee walleye runs. They would never get away with that kind of stuff there.

I here you tell you I watched 3 guys being 4 limits each in everyday for 3 days and was told by person's house I was at they do it everyday they get a chance. I don't believe DEC officer did a great job checking their freezer. I believe alot was hidden

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Dec 28, 2020, 04:22 PM »
Here rivers are not stocked so the fish are wild fish, perhaps not native, but wild. I c&r river caught fish (trout).  Lakes here are stocked, some may have natural reproduction, some do not.  I generally keep what I catch if I'm icefishing.  Some lakes have booming populations of non native fish that are not stocked - I'll keep those if thats what we're targeting (we have lake superior whitefish in a few lakes for example).  We have northern pike now in most of our rivers and lakes in western, MT.  They really don't belong here,  but they are here.  I don't release pike, ever.

Seems that individual bodies of water need specific plans at times.  There are some smaller lakes around with masive overpopulations of yellow perch and not enough fishing or predators to control them.  The bucket brigade has put in pike to 'help' so now we have pike and stunted perch.  Seems there ought to be a way to manage it better, but I don't know how.

Agree with specific waters regulation.
It isn't rocket science. It's done elsewhere with success each time it's tried to my knowledge. It's up to the state to do the job.

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Dec 28, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Agree with specific waters regulation.
It isn't rocket science. It's done elsewhere with success each time it's tried to my knowledge. It's up to the state to do the job.

One of the issues is wanton waste laws.  You can go catch a bucket full of 5" perch if you want - but who wants to deal with them?  Its illegal to leave them on the ice (though some do), and its illegal to throw them in the trash.

What's the responsible thing to do with 5" perch? What's the legal thing to do with 5" perch?  Last year someone came up with the idea that they could be donated to a raptor recovery center - but it turns out that's illegal as well and they can't accept them.

In the little lake I'm thinking of some bucket biologist introduced northern pike to solve the problem.  Now the lake that used to be a pretty quiet little lake with some nice trout and a few largemouth bass is full of stunted perch and a few pike.  Yay!  I don't remember if the perch were legally introduced or if that was more help from the bucket brigade. (Looking at stocking history no recorded stocking of perch as far back as about 1960)

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Dec 29, 2020, 04:32 AM »
One of the issues is wanton waste laws.  You can go catch a bucket full of 5" perch if you want - but who wants to deal with them?  Its illegal to leave them on the ice (though some do), and its illegal to throw them in the trash.

What's the responsible thing to do with 5" perch? What's the legal thing to do with 5" perch?  Last year someone came up with the idea that they could be donated to a raptor recovery center - but it turns out that's illegal as well and they can't accept them.

I would say... This is an example of where someone/group needs to lobby for change. I can understand the regulation against selling wildlife taken but the donation of said makes no sense.

In the little lake I'm thinking of some bucket biologist introduced northern pike to solve the problem.  Now the lake that used to be a pretty quiet little lake with some nice trout and a few largemouth bass is full of stunted perch and a few pike.  Yay!  I don't remember if the perch were legally introduced or if that was more help from the bucket brigade. (Looking at stocking history no recorded stocking of perch as far back as about 1960)

Hard to think of many examples of where this direction ever ended up as a positive. On the other hand, it's real easy to come up with a seemingly limitless list of examples of where the introduction of non-native species went very wrong.

Offline AdkKen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Nov 24, 2021, 07:06 AM »
Buddy of mine did a lot of research over the last few years and found that even though the food savers work that there is a better option. He gets into freezers and stuff too. 

Really smart guy.

Thought I would share.  Looking to get one of these chamber vacs myself.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Nov 24, 2021, 10:44 AM »
What do you guys think about slot sizes and selective harvest? There seems to be some resistance to the idea of C&R, reading old comments. It has always made sense to me that productive breeding fish should be released. I've seen C&R based around letting large fish with the genetics to become large go just because those fish are more likely to create more large fish.

Lake of the woods in Canada has these restrictions:

The Walleye/Sauger aggregate limit is six (no more
than four can be Walleye). Walleye from 19.5
through 28 inches must be immediately released.
Only one Walleye over 28 inches total length may be
possessed.

Lake of the woods is a fantastic fishery and that could be in large part to these restrictions.

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Nov 24, 2021, 11:29 AM »
Selective harvest is what I subscribe to when I fish.  I at time struggle seeing large lake trout on stringers but understand that they are legally harvested fish.  I just wish that those folks would eat 10 plentiful perch vs a large slow growing lake trout but to each their own. 
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Nov 24, 2021, 02:30 PM »
I don’t agree with slot limits while ice fishing because you have to measure the fish.  When measuring fish ice fishing this usually involves laying the fish on the ice and keeping it out of the water longer than necessary only to find out you have to release it.  I think most of us know what happens when you lay a releasable fish on the ice, you freeze off its slime layer and possibly freeze it’s eyes and fins causing permanent damage or even death of the fish.  Now before everyone jumps my case just remember that fishing in general always has the potential to kill the fish if you C&R but we need to take whatever steps possible to reduce damage to the fish.  There is no perfect equation for C&R we just need to do the best we can and slot limits through the ice in my opinion are not good for C&R.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #176 on: Nov 24, 2021, 02:43 PM »
Not a fan of slots, don't care to be forced to release dead fish. If fish aren't going to make it they should be kept or at least count against your limit imo. Regs in ND are pretty basic with almost no size restrictions and I have no complaints about quality of fishing here. Would rather see limits decreased than add slots.

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Nov 26, 2021, 01:59 PM »
I saw possession limits mentioned a few times. They do vary widely by state so make sure you check it. Not just in what the number is but what actually applies to the limit. In some states, fish you have at your home in your freezer count towards that limit. In others, its only fish you have with you in the field or in transport and fish in your freezer at home do not count. Idaho is that way for example. We have a 3X the daily limit for possession but fish at home in your freezer on your property do not apply to that limit.

What's the use of a limit then? Get your daily limit, take them home, put in freezer, go back out....I don't get it??

Online FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #179 on: Nov 26, 2021, 02:51 PM »
Personally, ice fishing is my time to catch keepers for the table. I'm not talking about breeder size game fish, just table sized, as well as bigger panfish like yellow & white perch, crappie, etc.

During the open water season, I mainly fish on the St Lawrence River, too polluted for me to keep any from there, and it's mainly a trophy fishery. So mostly catch and release from April to November.

On ice, I stick mainly to remote / pristine lakes, and fish from under ice in deep lakes taste way better than those caught in weedy / muddy / warmer waters. I'll keep my bag limit per species if fishing is good.

Lucky for us, Quebec is blessed with over 300,000 lakes, and many thousand of rivers. Granted, most are closed to ice fishing, but still, there is no shortage up here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.