Author Topic: Catch & Release ... WHO & WHY?  (Read 18390 times)

Offline sdbigeye

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Catch & Release ... WHO & WHY?
« Reply #120 on: Dec 25, 2020, 05:09 PM »
I c/r because I can. pisses a lot of my friends off, but I just tell them I catch more than they do.

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Dec 25, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Now THIS is interesting!
I get that some people have a simple guttural reaction to any number of things but I have never heard of your condition before.
I take it eating fish isn't the issue here?  Just the processing...Yes?
Yes, I was not raised in a hunting/fishing family, I found fishing on my own. My dad hunted and fished when younger but when kids happened it all stopped. I enjoy eating fish I just can't watch it even though I have tried to do it. I have friends that hunt and I can't watch them clean deer/pheasant either. I know where my food comes from I just have an issue actually seeing it. I'm sure that as I practice cleaning my own fish it will subside, but I'm not there right now. Most fish I catch are released as in my mind I get to catch them again another day. My pet lake has been ruined by people that were caught(by authorities) keeping everything they caught. I have no issue with people keeping fish to eat, some fish to eat some fish to enjoy the catching.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #122 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:00 PM »
We just don't eat that much meat, either, which could be part of it. Mostly buy chicken or pork, a bit of beef to grill. I get a deer once every so many years, or a pop a few squirrel, rabbit, or pheasant, but overall meat really isn't our dietary centerpiece.

What is your center piece then? I guess I don't understand not eatting meat everyday
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:26 PM »

What is your center piece then? I guess I don't understand not eatting meat everyday

There are some very nice pasta dishes using cheese and vegetables that are great and meatless. Also, some mushroom or other Risottos are very nice as a meatless main dish.  Ratatouille and Eggplant Parmesan also work well.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:31 PM »
There are some very nice pasta dishes using cheese and vegetables that are great and meatless. Also, some mushroom or other Risottos are very nice as a meatless main dish.  Ratatouille and Eggplant Parmesan also work well.

Yes but almost everyday? I mean my wife makes stuff with veggies alot califlower zucchini ect but I know I couldn't go without meat even 3 nights a week. Im not knocking anyone just curious
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:44 PM »

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with taking fish.  Perhaps that’s the disconnect.  I’m saying to do so under the idea that the fisheries managers have given you limits under which you can operate however you’d like, while simultaneously saying the managers routinely put out bogus data is hypocritical, at best.  I’m saying that you want to discuss how fisheries were essentially destroyed and management plans brought them back while also saying C&R is garbage and has no impact.

I am saying that despite pressures exceeding anything you have ever seen or heard of, the fisheries survived. Management increased numbers in a shorter period of time by limiting takes and methods of taking fish. But.... even without management, the fish were going to exist and rebound as pressure relented due to waters becoming unpopular (and therefore not being over fished) until restoration became apparent.

You’re basically spinning up each of your replies to fit a specific narrative that doesn’t remain intact throughout the thread.

You see this because things are rarely black and white or right/wrong. Most points of contention can have facts on both sides, even if they are in contrast to  opposite conclusions.
I can easily argue for either side of the coin, as both sides have merit and can be proven out. This does not mean each side is absolute truth or that either side of the coin is more correct.

I have pointed to a means of hands off management which is absolutely a winning scenario for fish/wildlife numbers.
I have also pointed to a means of hands on, which achieves the same.
I have also pointed out the downside of either style.

If their data and management plans are bogus, why not take it upon yourself to do your part?

In doing that (taking it into my own hands) I would be as able to break the law as to follow it. In stunted waters I would have to over harvest and in poor waters, I would have to restrict my take and everyone would have to follow accordingly.... which brings it back to management and why we have it and why it doesn't work by guessing. Guessing isn't management. It is simply gambling.

If the management plans don’t work, how do you explain the examples where they have?  If C&R mimics nature where only “fast-growing dinks” end up becoming prevalent, how do you explain monster fish caught up here in bodies of water that rarely see fishermen?  If harvesting fish from fisheries has no impact on populations, why do limits change/adjust?  Why is that take used as a management tool if it has no measurable impact?

I think you have not been reading my posts close enough OR you have been reading into what I have said OR you are painting with a wide brush.
There is no across the board success or failure. I have said that a few times I believe. Certainly said it once and eluded to it the rest of the times I have brought up examples.
No black & White. No right or wrong, as things are done in the states today. That is to say... most states leastwise.

I’m just trying to figure out your position on all of this.  You’re clearly in favor of taking fish, which is totally fine.  But it’s like you’re almost opposed to C&R.  But the confounding thing, in my opinion anyways, is that you’re alright with taking fish because the biologists or managers who set limits have allowed you to do so and you trust their work (when it pertains to you taking fish).  Yet you also say they’re incapable and routinely put out bad information using inadequate methods to get their data.  So I’m just having a hard time connecting the dots between how you condone taking limits of fish on every outing when you’ve stated the mechanisms that set those limits are erroneous, in your opinion.

I started out by saying I return small and trophy and only keep the middle slot fish. I dont see where you are pulling I am against C&R.  ???

The fact of the matter is that most wildlife resource managers are poor performers, who fly by the skin of their teeth. That goes across the board for fin or fur. State wide limits for species proves that out without question.

For example.... You cant be a judge who found 20 innocent people guilty and then point to the other 100 criminals that you also found guilty as proof of a job well done.  ;)

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:49 PM »

Yes but almost everyday? I mean my wife makes stuff with veggies alot califlower zucchini ect but I know I couldn't go without meat even 3 nights a week. Im not knocking anyone just curious

My best man is a hunter and eats meat every day (I believe) and his wife is (has been since her teens) a vegetarian.  I have eaten her cooking many times and I dont even think of meat while eating her dishes. She is an amazing cook.
I think that if I could cook as she does, it wouldnt much matter to me if I had meat or not.

That said... I am not a great cook and meat is my best salvation LOL

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:50 PM »

I agree, we probably do meatless 1or 2 nights a week, because my wife likes the meatless item she put on the menu - not because we are trying to go VEGAN or something like that.

That said, when we do have meat, I eat less of it than I used to. Fish would tend to be an exception. I like it and the portions have remained consistent. Usually they are grilled and so they are fairly light on calories.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:52 PM »
My best man is a hunter and eats meat every day (I believe) and his wife is (has been since her teens) a vegetarian.  I have eaten her cooking many times and I dont even think of meat while eating her dishes. She is an amazing cook.
I think that if I could cook as she does, it wouldnt much matter to me if I had meat or not.

That said... I am not a great cook and meat is my best salvation LOL

I'm a great cook and I just can't get veggies to taste great enough to eat just veggies everyday.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Dec 25, 2020, 06:54 PM »
I agree, we probably do meatless 1or 2 nights a week, because my wife likes the meatless item she put on the menu - not because we are trying to go VEGAN or something like that.

That said, when we do have meat, I eat less of it than I used to. Fish would tend to be an exception. I like it and the portions have remained consistent. Usually they are grilled and so they are fairly light on calories.

We do meatless maybe 1-2 nights month a little more in summer when the garden is going and we are getting stuff everyday. Idk I just can't not have meat and fish in my diet.

Hell for Christmas dinner we had steak and shrimp with a huge baked potato

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:23 PM »

We do meatless maybe 1-2 nights month a little more in summer when the garden is going and we are getting stuff everyday. Idk I just can't not have meat and fish in my diet.

Hell for Christmas dinner we had steak and shrimp with a huge baked potato

I hear you. I hunt/fish so I have 3 freezers full by the start of each year and they are empty by the start of deer season each year. Then we start all over.
I really like vegetables but I prefer them to be served with meats. Stir fry is great and corn on the cob with a steak is great. Not often am I ever sitting down to just vegetables.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:28 PM »
I hear you. I hunt/fish so I have 3 freezers full by the start of each year and they are empty by the start of deer season each year. Then we start all over.
I really like vegetables but I prefer them to be served with meats. Stir fry is great and corn on the cob with a steak is great. Not often am I ever sitting down to just vegetables.

Same here I have a family of 6 to feed  Wife Myself and 4 kids. We have 3 freezers also fill them during deer season and then ice fishing season and by middle of September every year just a few weeks before deer season wife is always saying venison is getting low. I then go kill 1-3 doe in first week of bow season. I can legally kill 7 deer and then can be given 2 more doe tags from other hunters. I don't usually get the other tags I just help buddies fill them and tell them go ahead take the deer.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:40 PM »
The fact of the matter is that most wildlife resource managers are poor performers, who fly by the skin of their teeth.

How can you prove and/or quantify this?

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:55 PM »
How can you prove and/or quantify this?

It's my opinion, based on everything I have seen personally and read about, over the years. There is no lack of reading to be had on the subject.
My wife has the educational degree/background which drew my attention toward this. I suppose it's like owning a particular car. There are tens of thousands of the same model on the roads on which you travel but you never take notice of them, until you suddenly own one. I never had an interest until we got together and then suddenly I was knee deep in a subject that is far more vast than I had ever known of previously.

I also believe I can catch more fish with a shiner on my tip up, as opposed to a lure tied to the same line. I haven't written on the subject but I am pretty sure (by observation) I am correct in that opinion as well...But I could be wrong.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Dec 25, 2020, 09:46 PM »

Basically the same here, kind of a slow shift in diet.  It's just been a thing where it's not necessarily meatless meals that often, but the meat is a small part of the dish. Lots of starches like potatoes, things like cheeses, eggs, rices, beans pastas, that's the bulk of ths meals.

I just never have liked fish much, probably because we ate it constantly when I was a kid. Drove my taste for it right into the dirt. 🤷‍♂️

Offline Blackfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Dec 26, 2020, 02:46 AM »
I hear you but (for me) a walk past the local fish department in our grocery store convinces me that this is not so. Walleye at $14 a pound equals 30# to pay for the new auger. 10# pays for the pop up ice shelter. 13# pays for the heater, chairs and tow sled. 10# pays for my traps and 20# pays for the wife's poles and jigs maybe.
Thats less than 100# of fish paying for things that will last 10 years or more, which means 10# of fish a year pays for everything required...and things that are not even necessary.

Thats less than a pound a week (1 meal) to justify the offset. ;)
Maybe i'll feel better about the money i spend on fishing gear if i start eating some more of them then  ;D Totally makes sense what youre saying but for me unfortunately im not getting out fishing enough (especially in the winter) to be catching enough for a meal a week...school and work make it difficult to find time to go.  I'm definitely not trying to say its not cheaper for everyone to just buy the fish ( I do know some people who save pretty good chunks of fudge fishing and hunting most of their food) but I think it probably would be cheaper for me at the moment to just buy the fish instead of spending the money on gear...doesnt mean ill stop though too much fun to be had lol. And who knows this conversation may prompt me to eat a little more fish that comes out of the hole to save some extra cash.  ;)  tight lines!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #136 on: Dec 26, 2020, 06:00 AM »
Are you the guys who saw me releasing short bass and said "hey well take those?" and then I said "they aren't even legal" and then the wife said "doesn't matter to us!"?  I don't get it, someone explain please?

explanation: not enough game wardens.  same around here. I see it a lot. 

one of the worst was fishing late ice on public lake.  bite was hot ice was bad.  only 2 guys out there.  we have sub culture around here that takes all they get.  big small they eatum all.  we so happened they were on the spot we were going to fish.(probably a spot they seen others catching from too)  get there and there is dinks all over the ice. crappie gills by the dozens.  they were gathering up by time we walked over there.  they had two buckets full to the top!  and left several dozen on the ice that wouldn't fit!  on the way off the ice you pass a wooded island.  they stopped by the island and pulled out two more buckets full of fish!  when they hit shore a van pulled up and they rammed all in a split.  luckily they left us our two limits to catch still biting. but that is the mentality of some people.  sad isn't it. enough to make a "sportsman" sick. 

so you mite understand how its get them or get ___ed.  thats why we have limits.  IMO nothing wrong with keeping what the law allows unless nothing eats them and are wasted.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #137 on: Dec 26, 2020, 06:38 AM »
been thinking about the TV thing, OP.  its funny how hunting shows seem to be all unethical baiting.  run around on a truck and shoot penned up critters. where and when did that sport go so bad?   they call it poaching around here. ;D  but fishing shows are the total opposite.  I blame bill dance.  ;D he been C&Ring as long as I can remember on TV. yea I know, those were bass and people were making money catching them in tournaments so they should go back. rite? no not rite.  and that's another thread called "why tourney fishermen think they own the lake". lmao  now panfish breed like rabbits so I don't get it either.  unless its a poaching numbers scenario.  maybe they think they are so good that they along could fish out a lake so they need to C&R? lol  I think its what people see all the time on TV and are getting more and more conditioned.  the "let the big fish pass on the genes" don't hold water.  those big fish have passed on their genes many times already so whats the point?  harvest and make room for new I say.  its nature and we are predator's here to control the population. 

also in general humans are getting soft.  society is gradually failing due to lack of common sense and the ability to do what needs done!  look at the idiocy we are dealing with rite now for god sakes! 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #138 on: Dec 26, 2020, 07:57 AM »
Some people like eating fish and some don't but one common thing we all have is we enjoy catching them, we enjoy the sport and camaraderie.  I'm not a big fan of fish overall... more of a beef, pork and chicken guy.  I'll keep a half a dozen panfish once every year to make my wife and I our once a year fish fry meal.  Other than that the fish go back to swim another day.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Dec 26, 2020, 08:26 AM »
Some of the fish I like to catch taste like crap or are a hassle to clean so they swim away.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #140 on: Dec 26, 2020, 08:49 AM »
I love eating fish.
And catching them is a ton of fun.
But having worked on a commercial fishing boat I'll say this.
I've eaten fish three meals a day. I've eaten fish seven days a week.
But I will not eat fish three times a day seven days a week.
I love fish but one can only eat so much and you become tired of it.
I think most people would too if they ate it every day.
And I'm talking fresh from the ocean fish everyday at that.

I remember my first fisheries job on Lake Powell. The boss told us we could fish between doing surveys.....we had a fishing hotline we updated. The striper population was robust with lots of small to medium stripers. He told us to take all. The limit was 50 fish at the time. We even avoided fishing over the 12" class of stripers, just so we didn't have to clean many. The boss would bring back stripers for us to clean almost every day. I ate striper almost every day and we also had a garden where I mistakenly planted lots of yellow squash.

Striper boils
Deep fried striper
Pan fried striper
Striper tacos
Baked striper
Broiled striper

and yellow squash. Those off striper days were filled with 99 cent frozen pizzas.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Dec 26, 2020, 09:35 AM »
Well I guess I only target the tasty fish. I'm after perch walleyes and any pan fish. Rockies in the spring in cold water are great eat as well. But even whenii fish for bullhead and catfish I personally don't care for the taste I either give them away or sell them to the bait shop

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #142 on: Dec 26, 2020, 10:28 AM »
We eat venison 4 nights a week.... Chicken 2 and seafood 1 so sometimes i can provide dinner 5 nights a week..... That makes me feel a little more useful in the home..... Yea i spend a lot to go hunting but i make sure i have 5 deer in the freezer by seasons end... Which i have not completed this year.... 2020 has been rough in the woods
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #143 on: Dec 26, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Why do I catch and release?

First I find it respectful to the sport of fishing and to my prey.

Second, the states where I fish all have warnings about frequency of eating fish, especially large predators because of high mercury levels.

Third FRESH fish always tastes better than frozen fish.  I'm not interested in eating a dog food fed stocked trout that's been sublimating, (freezer burning) for months and months.

Yeah, I catch and release.  Wanna make something out of it?
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Dec 26, 2020, 12:34 PM »
I have no issues with calling a warden, what so ever.
More good would be done with a phone call (in this situation) than all the C&R you could do yourself.

explanation: not enough game wardens.  same around here. I see it a lot. 

one of the worst was fishing late ice on public lake.  bite was hot ice was bad.  only 2 guys out there.  we have sub culture around here that takes all they get.  big small they eatum all.  we so happened they were on the spot we were going to fish.(probably a spot they seen others catching from too)  get there and there is dinks all over the ice. crappie gills by the dozens.  they were gathering up by time we walked over there.  they had two buckets full to the top!  and left several dozen on the ice that wouldn't fit!  on the way off the ice you pass a wooded island.  they stopped by the island and pulled out two more buckets full of fish!  when they hit shore a van pulled up and they rammed all in a split.  luckily they left us our two limits to catch still biting. but that is the mentality of some people.  sad isn't it. enough to make a "sportsman" sick. 

so you mite understand how its get them or get ___ed.  thats why we have limits.  IMO nothing wrong with keeping what the law allows unless nothing eats them and are wasted.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Dec 26, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Why do I catch and release?

First I find it respectful to the sport of fishing and to my prey.

Second, the states where I fish all have warnings about frequency of eating fish, especially large predators because of high mercury levels.

Third FRESH fish always tastes better than frozen fish.  I'm not interested in eating a dog food fed stocked trout that's been sublimating, (freezer burning) for months and months.

Yeah, I catch and release.  Wanna make something out of it?

To each their own just don't understand C&R. Where I fish we don't have that warning on fish. My fish are n very freezer burnt. Vacuum sealer makes that not happen

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Dec 26, 2020, 02:03 PM »
I have no issues with calling a warden, what so ever.
More good would be done with a phone call (in this situation) than all the C&R you could do yourself.

You bring up an interesting point with regard to law enforcement and rules on the book. Come hunting season where I'm at, you would be lucky to see a warden checking fishing licenses....fast forward to ice fishing season, they are hitting the ice fishing/derby circuit in force.

If say you add a bunch of slot limits, water bodies with different regs, rivers with C and R in one stretch, but kill stretch one mile downstream, some anglers see that as excessive control of the resource and won't buy a license or go to less restrictive states to fish. In the little state of Vermont we have quite a variation of fishing zones, Lake Champlain, Inland and Connecticut River, you can also add some local waterbody restrictions in a northern section of the state. We even have several restrictive zones on baitfish use due to potential spread of diseases and invasive plants/animals. This all needs to be patrolled by wardens, which can be limiting.

For me I have no problem reading the regs and understanding the laws and what I can fish for, but many of the "just want to go fishing" seem to not be able to decipher new regulations in areas that they may have fished their entire lives. Many times those regs do get changed based on fishery and/or public access or pressure.

We have had several biologist changes in the last few years so there has been many changes in stocking/managing certain waterbodies and different sets of eyes on angling potentials. We are actually having several changes being made in the rule book to make it less restrictive for overall angling in the state and eliminating some waterbody specific regs that don't make sense and will fall under general regs making it easier for fishing overall.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #147 on: Dec 26, 2020, 02:17 PM »

To each their own just don't understand C&R. Where I fish we don't have that warning on fish. My fish are n very freezer burnt. Vacuum sealer makes that not happen

I've seen trout/salmon caught and released to be caught again.

One salmon a buddy of mine caught in October(he's allergic to fish), was caught ice fishing in a derby three months later. Misidentified at a brown trout....I think took 2nd place in trout category. If it was in the salmon category it would have also paid out.

I also have seen a steelhead caught THREE times in one fall/winter. Twice in the same river over a months time, then left the river and showed up miles away near another river. Twice it was caught by the same angler.

I like to fish for bowfin....they are very sporting, but not very tasty IMO and a real pain to clean. Have no desire to bring a cooler of ice out fishing for them in the summer, just to fillet them for somebody else.

I like to fly fish for trout in a "secret spot". If I do well I can catch my limit of 6 trout. They are strong wild rainbows which can grow bigger. If I limited out and took them home, they wouldn't be there later. Sure they do eventually die and get replaced by young ones, but I would rather hook a 20" trout on a dry fly than a 12". This river would be considered marginal trout water at best due to warm summer temps, so it is not filled to the brim with runts needing to be harvested.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Dec 26, 2020, 02:28 PM »
I've seen trout/salmon caught and released to be caught again.

One salmon a buddy of mine caught in October(he's allergic to fish), was caught ice fishing in a derby three months later. Misidentified at a brown trout....I think took 2nd place in trout category. If it was in the salmon category it would have also paid out.

I also have seen a steelhead caught THREE times in one fall/winter. Twice in the same river over a months time, then left the river and showed up miles away near another river. Twice it was caught by the same angler.

I like to fish for bowfin....they are very sporting, but not very tasty IMO and a real pain to clean. Have no desire to bring a cooler of ice out fishing for them in the summer, just to fillet them for somebody else.

I like to fly fish for trout in a "secret spot". If I do well I can catch my limit of 6 trout. They are strong wild rainbows which can grow bigger. If I limited out and took them home, they wouldn't be there later. Sure they do eventually die and get replaced by young ones, but I would rather hook a 20" trout on a dry fly than a 12". This river would be considered marginal trout water at best due to warm summer temps, so it is not filled to the brim with runts needing to be harvested.

I made the mistake of trying to clean a bowfin....once... never again 🤣 Friggin' ribs from gill plate clear down to the dang tail.

Love catching them, though. One of the rivers around here is thick with them in the spring during high water.

I mostly target redhorse, buffalo, and carp with an occasional bowfin/bass trip during open water season. Nice to see someone else giving the underdogs some love.

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Dec 26, 2020, 02:40 PM »
You bring up an interesting point with regard to law enforcement and rules on the book. Come hunting season where I'm at, you would be lucky to see a warden checking fishing licenses....fast forward to ice fishing season, they are hitting the ice fishing/derby circuit in force.

If say you add a bunch of slot limits, water bodies with different regs, rivers with C and R in one stretch, but kill stretch one mile downstream, some anglers see that as excessive control of the resource and won't buy a license or go to less restrictive states to fish. In the little state of Vermont we have quite a variation of fishing zones, Lake Champlain, Inland and Connecticut River, you can also add some local waterbody restrictions in a northern section of the state. We even have several restrictive zones on baitfish use due to potential spread of diseases and invasive plants/animals. This all needs to be patrolled by wardens, which can be limiting.

For me I have no problem reading the regs and understanding the laws and what I can fish for, but many of the "just want to go fishing" seem to not be able to decipher new regulations in areas that they may have fished their entire lives. Many times those regs do get changed based on fishery and/or public access or pressure.

We have had several biologist changes in the last few years so there has been many changes in stocking/managing certain waterbodies and different sets of eyes on angling potentials. We are actually having several changes being made in the rule book to make it less restrictive for overall angling in the state and eliminating some waterbody specific regs that don't make sense and will fall under general regs making it easier for fishing overall.

Maine waters are like this. The regs in Maine are ridiculous.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.