Author Topic: Catch & Release ... WHO & WHY?  (Read 18359 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Catch & Release ... WHO & WHY?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 22, 2020, 11:30 AM »
stuckinohio, I keep a few fish from time to time for a fish fry, I even have a couple of meals in reserve, but never felt a need to keep every fish I catch...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 22, 2020, 11:40 AM »
I sometimes wonder (a lot actually) why the management in charge does not do their jobs.
IMO lack of fish and game shortages (due to large bag limits) cannot be blamed on the sportsman.
The sportsman follows guide lines with faith that limits are set by management.

Don't blame the people paying to hunt and fish. Blame the people in charge of the management.

While I see what you are saying and agree, I lay the blame at the feet of those who's job it is to regulate and ensure abundant wildlife.

I'm a believer that our lakes are more pressured than ever, and toss in recent advances in gear (just in the last 10 years), it's not going to take much to deplete a resource. The C&R movement is aimed at allowing for the increased fishing pressure so everyone can enjoying reeling a fish in, whatever species it may be.

I'm not that old, but can remember when I was a young lad and seeing the same guys re-drilling the same holes day after day throughout the winter and filling a bucket with panfish (not too long ago WI limits were 50 panfish). Those were the same guys that would say "the bites really slowed down the last couple days"... when asked how they were doing, almost like there was no acknowledgment to the 250+ panfish they'd already pulled out of the same area and as if it was an endless resource. Luckily this doesn't happen as often anymore, as like I said with the increased pressure we'd see a lot of lakes in some real trouble now.

Responsible catch and keep is possible, but requires everyone to self regulate, and that is hard for some people. As a whole the fishing community respects the variety of freshwater fishing resources we have in our country, and want to continue to pass that opportunity down to the next generation of fisherman and women. Usually for a meal of panfish, my wife and I will keep five or six fish and fry them up that night. Rarely do we put fish in the freezer anymore, as it's more fun to have to go and and catch it fresh if that's what we want for a meal.

I respect anyone's right to keep what they're going to eat, but will never agree with the crowd that hordes and stockpiles freezers of fish where most will burn and go to waste.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 22, 2020, 12:00 PM »
I sometimes wonder (a lot actually) why the management in charge does not do their jobs.
IMO lack of fish and game shortages (due to large bag limits) cannot be blamed on the sportsman.

Don't blame the people paying to hunt and fish. Blame the people in charge of the management.

While I see what you are saying and agree, I lay the blame at the feet of those who's job it is to regulate and ensure abundant wildlife.

Exactly!!!

And we should hold them accountable to do their job well.

I am beginning to get the feel that there are "Ice Fishing Vigilantes" for whom obeying the law is not enough and feel it is their job to enforce their "Mob Rule" and their own home-made personal standards on everybody else before they are content.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 22, 2020, 12:03 PM »
I practice selective harvest, only keeping mid-sized fish big enough to get some meat off of, but not the biggest of the bunch.

Thing is, I only have myself to feed at home, and I seldom do big fish fries anymore, so anytime I keep anything, it’s maybe 3 or 4 bluegills or one trout or bass. My freezer stays full from duck and deer season, so I only bring home enough fish to make a meal that week. As a bonus, I never have to package and freeze them.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2020, 12:29 PM »

First of all, I don’t think anyone would be complaining about the lack of fish and game shortages.

That said, the biologists and managers are doing what they can with what they’ve got.  There’s no perfect way to manage the populations and keep everyone happy at the same time.  In addition to sampling efforts that have a margin of error, they can only estimate the level of take season over season.  There are so many variables involved that blaming them for a lack of fish/game is a bit misguided. 

If they came out and closed a season on a species in order to manage the population, I’d imagine there’d be some barking about that, too.  It doesn’t go both ways.  Too many people want to blame biologists and managers for lower numbers while also keeping everything they catch.  These are usually the same type of people who aren’t honest on harvest reports for fear of having bag limits lowered, not realizing that the dishonesty is counter-productive.

Kinda foolish to point the blaming finger at them while also taking everything you can.  It’s a bit absurd to think that fish and game populations can be managed effectively without conservation-minded sportsmen contributing a little, as well.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 22, 2020, 12:41 PM »
First of all, I don’t think anyone would be complaining about the lack of fish and game shortages.

That said, the biologists and managers are doing what they can with what they’ve got.  There’s no perfect way to manage the populations and keep everyone happy at the same time.  In addition to sampling efforts that have a margin of error, they can only estimate the level of take season over season.  There are so many variables involved that blaming them for a lack of fish/game is a bit misguided. 

If they came out and closed a season on a species in order to manage the population, I’d imagine there’d be some barking about that, too.  It doesn’t go both ways.  Too many people want to blame biologists and managers for lower numbers while also keeping everything they catch.  These are usually the same type of people who aren’t honest on harvest reports for fear of having bag limits lowered, not realizing that the dishonesty is counter-productive.

Kinda foolish to point the blaming finger at them while also taking everything you can.  It’s a bit absurd to think that fish and game populations can be managed effectively without conservation-minded sportsmen contributing a little, as well.
You've got some good points for sure.
Yes I've heard of people lying on harvest reports or creel surveys.
They think they are helping and/or keeping others from knowing their productive fishing areas.
When in reality all they've done is skew the numbers and make management more difficult.
Besides these are fish we are talking about. It not like they line up to be counted every year.
There's just so many things that go into their decision making and every lake is a bit different.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:27 PM »

I guess that depends on where you are. In some states no problems and in others, nothing but complaints.

I certainly dont agree. Dont agree at all actually.
The way states estimate deer numbers is not even a matter of guessing. Many professional game managers have written a ton on this fact.
The manner in which the count is taken can be done much better and the fact that it isn't, is no fault of mine or yours.
The blame lays directly at the departments feet.
There are many nations who do wildlife management far better than any state in the union and it's nothing to do with anything other than the fact that we citizens just accept that it is what it is.

Management isn't based on a popularity contest for most loved or respected. Management is based strictly on carrying capacity and regeneration of numbers. This is the problem.... We worry about what people want instead of what people need.
This is how A.P.R restrictions came about. Worrying about how large a bucks horns are instead of how many bucks there are or how many doe there are, for that matter.

The setting of state wide limits when populations vary greatly from county to county...Be it fin or fur.
You cannot manage a lake or a woodlot by guessing and hoping. You may get lucky for periods of time but absolute success will never be a thing.

Well... If thats what you believe than you might as well accept defeat, as you are expecting management to occur based on the good character of those who use the woods and waters around you.
I have fished waters where a trout hasn't been seen in 20 years but still, there are limits for that body of water that exceed the number of trout in it.
Were a few out of town persons to fish it and get lucky on one camping trip, they would clean out the pond without even knowing that they had done so.
How can you blame those campers when it was the state that insured that this could be the end result?

Before you say that this is a stupid example... I saw it happen in Maine on Doe pond. One guy caught and kept the only trout native to that pond, even though it originally had hundreds of native trout in it. The state ignored doe pond and eventually, it was fished out 6 at a time by mostly out of staters who were quests of the local bear guide in that area.

Snook were nearly fished to extinction while the state stood by and kept catch numbers the same for decades, before moving to protect the species. Snook (at one time) were more numerous than any other fish in the Sebastian inlet area.
The passenger pigeon isnt the only example of "experts" not having a clue and in 2020...(when we can send a probe to a black hole) it's got nothing to do with inability. It's strictly a matter of want and expectations of the paying public as to getting it done right.

JMO

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:35 PM »
You've got some good points for sure.
Yes I've heard of people lying on harvest reports or creel surveys.
They think they are helping and/or keeping others from knowing their productive fishing areas.
When in reality all they've done is skew the numbers and make management more difficult.
Besides these are fish we are talking about. It not like they line up to be counted every year.
There's just so many things that go into their decision making and every lake is a bit different.

The highlighted is why each body of water in a region should be under the regulation of the region in which it exists. Same for game.
Who knows better what is going on than the person in the area. State wide regs are a joke.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:03 PM »
The highlighted is why each body of water in a region should be under the regulation of the region in which it exists. Same for game.
Who knows better what is going on than the person in the area. State wide regs are a joke.

Strong argument for sure.  Would be interesting if those with property on the lake had a vote or say in the regulations. 

That happened at our cabin in Northern Minnesota. I was president of the Lake Assn. and the DNR was invited to our annual meeting and asked our opinions on slot limits, etc. They changed the rules for our lake the following year to reflect those opinions. Could happen elsewhere.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:05 PM »
Strong argument for sure.  Would be interesting if those with property on the lake had a vote or say in the regulations. 

That happened at our cabin in Northern Minnesota. I was president of the Lake Assn. and the DNR was invited to our annual meeting and asked our opinions on slot limits, etc. They changed the rules for our lake the following year to reflect those opinions. Could happen elsewhere.

Good thinking.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:32 PM »
Everyone will be different on this.  We live in different states and fish different lakes for different reasons.

Personally, I keep panfish when ice fishing or in late fall after my bass fishing tournaments are over.  I will keep numbers of fish as it takes a lot to have a fish fry a few times a year for the 5 or 6 people in my family.  Last year I kept nothing because we didn't have safe ice. 

The one thing I would like to see people do more of is release trophy sized fish.  We fish a lake a lot that has a good population of 7"-9" crappies.  My buddies about sh*t when I threw a 12" back down the hole!  Those are the genetics that are good to put back to spawn again.  Did the same with a 7 pound walleye this fall. 

I suggest keeping the medium sized and letting the big ones go, but that's my personal philosophy.  Not everyone will see it that way, and that's okay too.  Just keep it within the law/regulations.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:39 PM »
Pretty much the way I see it for myself. Trophies go back and under size go back.
I can (have often) eat 30 or 40 10" blue gills at one sitting so they are coming home with me, no matter how many :D

Everyone will be different on this.  We live in different states and fish different lakes for different reasons.

Personally, I keep panfish when ice fishing or in late fall after my bass fishing tournaments are over.  I will keep numbers of fish as it takes a lot to have a fish fry a few times a year for the 5 or 6 people in my family.  Last year I kept nothing because we didn't have safe ice. 

The one thing I would like to see people do more of is release trophy sized fish.  We fish a lake a lot that has a good population of 7"-9" crappies.  My buddies about sh*t when I threw a 12" back down the hole!  Those are the genetics that are good to put back to spawn again.  Did the same with a 7 pound walleye this fall. 

I suggest keeping the medium sized and letting the big ones go, but that's my personal philosophy.  Not everyone will see it that way, and that's okay too.  Just keep it within the law/regulations.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 22, 2020, 05:15 PM »
Well here in Alaska it is managed that way we have very few statewide regs.
In fact I would guess the only statewide regs are the general ones like no using poisons or that you can't keep snagged fish in freshwater.
There are 3 major fishing areas and each is managed separately then broken down into smaller areas.
Many lakes and rivers have regulations specific to them.
Like where I normally fish it's two ice rods no hook restrictions and bait is allowed.
But at the cabin it's one rod single hook and no bait in the summer. Limits are different as well.
But some fisheries particularly the trophy lakes are still hurting because of fishing pressure from regular anglers and the increasing number of guided anglers.
And the rivers and saltwater also have commercial fishing and subsistence fishing pressure as well.
They do a decent job here but it's a difficult one for sure.
KasilofChrisN

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:47 PM »
You want to know what is real madness? Using smelt for bait. I will bet you ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS you will never catch anything using smelt that will taste better than the smelt itself. MADNESS I TELL YOU!

Good thing you don't live close to me or you'd be out that thousand dollars easily!
I've caught lots of pike, Halibut, and Tanner crabs using smelt(we call em hooligans here in Alaska).
I doubt many people would choose smelt over a beer battered halibut and fresh crab dinner.
I don't eat smelt but love some fried pike too.
I understand it's a situation of to each their own though.
If you like them then keep eating them but understand they do make a good bait at times.
And here we catch em by the bucketful. There are no limits and usually plenty of them every spring.
I've had years where we easily caught 30+ gallons that were gifted to elders, used for bait, eaten by friends and family etc.
KasilofChrisN

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:28 PM »
I guess that depends on where you are. In some states no problems and in others, nothing but complaints.

I certainly dont agree. Dont agree at all actually.
The way states estimate deer numbers is not even a matter of guessing. Many professional game managers have written a ton on this fact.
The manner in which the count is taken can be done much better and the fact that it isn't, is no fault of mine or yours.
The blame lays directly at the departments feet.
There are many nations who do wildlife management far better than any state in the union and it's nothing to do with anything other than the fact that we citizens just accept that it is what it is.

Management isn't based on a popularity contest for most loved or respected. Management is based strictly on carrying capacity and regeneration of numbers. This is the problem.... We worry about what people want instead of what people need.
This is how A.P.R restrictions came about. Worrying about how large a bucks horns are instead of how many bucks there are or how many doe there are, for that matter.

The setting of state wide limits when populations vary greatly from county to county...Be it fin or fur.
You cannot manage a lake or a woodlot by guessing and hoping. You may get lucky for periods of time but absolute success will never be a thing.

Well... If thats what you believe than you might as well accept defeat, as you are expecting management to occur based on the good character of those who use the woods and waters around you.
I have fished waters where a trout hasn't been seen in 20 years but still, there are limits for that body of water that exceed the number of trout in it.
Were a few out of town persons to fish it and get lucky on one camping trip, they would clean out the pond without even knowing that they had done so.
How can you blame those campers when it was the state that insured that this could be the end result?

Before you say that this is a stupid example... I saw it happen in Maine on Doe pond. One guy caught and kept the only trout native to that pond, even though it originally had hundreds of native trout in it. The state ignored doe pond and eventually, it was fished out 6 at a time by mostly out of staters who were quests of the local bear guide in that area.

Snook were nearly fished to extinction while the state stood by and kept catch numbers the same for decades, before moving to protect the species. Snook (at one time) were more numerous than any other fish in the Sebastian inlet area.
The passenger pigeon isnt the only example of "experts" not having a clue and in 2020...(when we can send a probe to a black hole) it's got nothing to do with inability. It's strictly a matter of want and expectations of the paying public as to getting it done right.

JMO

I can all but guarantee you there aren’t folks complaining about lack of shortages.

I maintain your concern is misguided.

The issue is that what you’re proposing is nearly impossible to implement and enforce.  You’re suggesting each and every lake and pond in a state is both managed and has it’s own set of regulations?  Really?  Do you realize Alaska has over 300,000 lakes?  Minnesota touts their 10,000.  How in the world do you propose using state of the art sampling and management techniques in states with that much habitat?  How is this funded?  Who enforces this?  I get that the grass is always greener, but you’re suggesting that fish and game managers should be perfect and that’s simply impossible.

Also, there are so many more variables to management than “carrying capacity and regeneration of numbers.”  Are you proposing managers should use MSY or OSY?  Are you suggesting that other variables shouldn’t be modeled?  Are you saying that a Fisheries Biologist can simply sample a body of water, determine a carrying capacity, determine fecundity, and simply apply a daily limit?  How many anglers is that based on?  What weather pattern is that based on?  What food availability is that based on?  At what point on the growth curve should they base their projection?  What information do they use for the amount of angler harvest?  What information do they use for predation?  Do they apply a buffer?

My point is that it rolls off your tongue like this is a simple concept and should be effortlessly perfect.

But the thing is, you’re talking in circles.  You started out by saying you trust your biologists and managers to set the take accordingly, therefore happily taking whatever you want, and now you’re running them down and saying they have no idea what they’re doing, are ill-equipped, and routinely put out bad data.  If this is your position, why don’t you take it upon yourself to do what’s best for the local populations and not take as much?  You’ve mentioned biologists missing the mark to an extent that resulted in a pond being completely fished clean of a species, and then tout taking as many Bluegills as you can.

Which is it?  Do you trust the biologists or are they routinely inaccurate and incapable?  And therefore, are you a conservation-minded sportsman or are you out to take what you can in spite of what may or may not be best for the resource?

I’m just asking because some of these scenarios seem to be mutually exclusive.

Obviously I’m playing devil’s advocate for the sake of conversation, but I just think our wildlife biologists become scapegoats because most people have no idea what their jobs entail and aren’t happy with declining numbers. 

“I’ll shoot hens because fish and game allows me to.  But I wish those guys would get their act together because duck numbers are dropping...”

Offline Blackfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:47 AM »
I'm mainly a C&R guy. I just love the thrill of catching fish. I'll occasionally keep a couple of walleye for dinner but that's about it. I figure if I was really doin it for the food id just save the money spent on the pop up, auger, bait, rods etc and go buy some fresh fish from the grocery.

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 23, 2020, 05:12 AM »

Obviously I’m playing devil’s advocate for the sake of conversation, but I just think our wildlife biologists become scapegoats because most people have no idea what their jobs entail and aren’t happy with declining numbers. 

“I’ll shoot hens because fish and game allows me to.  But I wish those guys would get their act together because duck numbers are dropping...”

Well... I will agree with you on the count that people can be their own worst enemies.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 23, 2020, 05:51 AM »
It’s such a tough question for me because it all depends on the water I’m fishing. If it’s full of brookies, which many wild trout ponds are they tend to be on the smaller side. I will keep my limit to eat, in hopes of ever so slightly reducing the population so some bigger fish can grow. If it’s a pond with big fish I never keep them, plus big fish taste bad. If it’s a pond with some big some little I usually won’t keep unless I poorly hook a trout or I catch a few small ones under 10 inches and I’m hungry.
Warm water fishing is a different story. Many of my favorite waters for stocked and some wild trout are full of yellow perch and pickerel. On those waters every fish I catch that’s not a trout is going up on the ice. The high mercury content in these ponds means I’m not eating them. They are for the eagles.
I understand that pure c and r can hurt fisheries because the population gets too high and the fish stunt. Conversely, over harvest in small ponds can wipe out the brood trout quickly. If you catch a big brookie, salmon, or togue, let it go.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Dec 23, 2020, 03:15 PM »
I watch a lot of ice fishing videos on Youtube and I see a LOT of catch and release videos.
Jen and I are always sitting there asking each other why. I mean... It wouldn't even occur to us, unless they were not keepers or were breeders.

But all the time, we are seeing eaters being tossed all day long and none kept too many time.
We just dont get it.

Anyone here that can explain this to me, I would listen with an open mind but I honestly just dont get it.

If I kept every "keepable" fish I caught, I would be eating fish every day just to keep fishing and not be over the limit. In reality I probably keep 5% of the fish I catch, if that. Just cant eat that many and don't see a reason to "fill the freezer". Fish bite all year, if I want fresh fish I'll go fishing.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 23, 2020, 10:45 PM »
I'm mainly a catch and release angler. I'm in it for the thrill of catching fish, not harvesting. However, once or twice a year when I go on extended walleye fishing trips, I will bring a few fish home for myself and parents. I just like knowing that the fish I release will hopefully continue to grow, pass on their genetics and maintain a good fishery. I have no problem with people that keep what they catch. However, I'm not a fan of seeing big gills, walleye's and 14" plus crappies being constantly harvested. But, as long as you're following the rules, I can just disagree and mind my own bobber.

On a side note, just my personal opinion, but I hate seeing huge fish killed just to be put on the wall. I feel like taking pictures and measurements and having a replica made is the better route to go. Again, just like to see the big boys live another day, and possibly give someone else the thrill of the fight.

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 24, 2020, 04:02 AM »
I'm mainly a C&R guy. I just love the thrill of catching fish. I'll occasionally keep a couple of walleye for dinner but that's about it. I figure if I was really doin it for the food id just save the money spent on the pop up, auger, bait, rods etc and go buy some fresh fish from the grocery.

I hear you but (for me) a walk past the local fish department in our grocery store convinces me that this is not so. Walleye at $14 a pound equals 30# to pay for the new auger. 10# pays for the pop up ice shelter. 13# pays for the heater, chairs and tow sled. 10# pays for my traps and 20# pays for the wife's poles and jigs maybe.
Thats less than 100# of fish paying for things that will last 10 years or more, which means 10# of fish a year pays for everything required...and things that are not even necessary.

Thats less than a pound a week (1 meal) to justify the offset. ;)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Dec 24, 2020, 06:39 AM »
I hear you but (for me) a walk past the local fish department in our grocery store convinces me that this is not so. Walleye at $14 a pound equals 30# to pay for the new auger. 10# pays for the pop up ice shelter. 13# pays for the heater, chairs and tow sled. 10# pays for my traps and 20# pays for the wife's poles and jigs maybe.
Thats less than 100# of fish paying for things that will last 10 years or more, which means 10# of fish a year pays for everything required...and things that are not even necessary.

Thats less than a pound a week (1 meal) to justify the offset. ;)

That is only if you are catching walleyes and not perch and panfish. There are less expensive fish in the local fish dept.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #82 on: Dec 24, 2020, 06:44 AM »
if i am fishing I am keeping 75% of the time.  time and money spent mite as well get something for it.  if I don't need them I give them to people that don't or cant fish.  I used to have several older folks I supplied but they have dropped off over the years.  plenty of people to share fillets with still though.  trophy predator's go back 99% of the time.

I understand catch n release but feel its place is on private waters.  too many people over harvesting around here to do any good. I would just be putting them back for them to hoover up. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Dec 24, 2020, 11:15 AM »
if i am fishing I am keeping 75% of the time.  time and money spent mite as well get something for it.  if I don't need them I give them to people that don't or cant fish.  I used to have several older folks I supplied but they have dropped off over the years.  plenty of people to share fillets with still though.  trophy predator's go back 99% of the time.

I understand catch n release but feel its place is on private waters.  too many people over harvesting around here to do any good. I would just be putting them back for them to hoover up. lol

As long as everyone has that attitude, you'll always have overharvesting. Think of the toilet paper shortage, everyone thought they better take it even if they didnt need it and eventually nobody had any. If everyone released the fish they didnt need, and stopped keeping fish for other people, everyone would have better fishing all around! Be the start of the solution, not the progression of the problem. But its your right to keep them, so carry on!

BTW my group, we keep fish on private water and release on public because private can withstand selective harvest. Public is where the fish need to be protected from the keep-em-alls.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 24, 2020, 01:43 PM »
That is only if you are catching walleyes and not perch and panfish. There are less expensive fish in the local fish dept.

Of course you are correct but even at $7. a pound, thats now only 2 meals a weeks to make up the same cost/reward scenario.
One guy I was fishing beside (years ago) pointed out that he loved blue gills and they dont sell blue gills at the supermarket.
Some fish may not even be available and therefore... The costs may be much higher, in terms of value to the individual. ;)

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 24, 2020, 01:50 PM »
As long as everyone has that attitude, you'll always have overharvesting. Think of the toilet paper shortage, everyone thought they better take it even if they didnt need it and eventually nobody had any. If everyone released the fish they didnt need, and stopped keeping fish for other people, everyone would have better fishing all around! Be the start of the solution, not the progression of the problem. But its your right to keep them, so carry on!

BTW my group, we keep fish on private water and release on public because private can withstand selective harvest. Public is where the fish need to be protected from the keep-em-alls.

Again.... It is the job of management to set proper limits. If limits are set to maintain a healthy population, then keeping a limit would not be an issue.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 24, 2020, 02:24 PM »
Relying on the government/management has never ended bad before...  ;D ;D

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #87 on: Dec 24, 2020, 03:08 PM »
So many opinions. I catch and keep, and catch and release. I'd really like to catch bigger fish, yet the means to that are often unpopular. The same could be said with bucks. I can't say to a man with five mouths to feed that his bag limit should lower, because I only have two, and I want larger fish. I believe these are the conversations that should be had collectively in town halls, and forums with our local fisheries departments. We know it boils down to funding. Particular factions may not believe it's money well spent in data acquisition for every lakes management. So then it's, let's decide which ones are. Compromise is always difficult.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 24, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Relying on the government/management has never ended bad before...  ;D ;D

Touche
 ;D

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #89 on: Dec 25, 2020, 04:22 AM »

I take it your putting me in the same group a the over harvesters?  lol whatever  like said there are limits set by the state.  I don't break fish and game laws so im not sure why the classification?  probably a good thing its not known how many fish I fillet every year then. (legally)  ;D 

i could be misinterpreting it though? if not, enlighten me change my mind and turn me to the "good side". lol

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.