Author Topic: Garmin vs entry level flasher?  (Read 2820 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin vs entry level flasher?
« on: Dec 07, 2020, 12:00 PM »
I’m looking for something for early ice outside fishing. I primarily fish in 10-20 FOW. I’m looking for something light, highly mobile, quick set-up time, good battery life, and easy to use (it will also be my loaner unit). I have a Garmin Echomap 73 Chirp that I no longer use. So, option #1 is to purchase an ice transducer (GT8HW-IF), 4 to 8 pin adapter cable(?), and mount on a Genz box.

I’ve never used an ice transducer on the Garmin (Panoptix only), but I’ve seen a few vidoes that make me believe that it would be just as effective as an entry level flasher in 10-30 FOW.

However, it would be bulkier than a flasher, lower battery life, and probably not as simple to use.

Price wise, it looks to be pretty much a wash (used flasher vs ice transducer, adapter, and shuttle).

So, what would you suggest?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Garmin vs entry level flasher?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2020, 12:33 PM »
I personally like a graph better than a flasher, so would suggest using your 73 (it's nice to see history of what went by), put a 10 amp battery on it that will last all day.  Another thought would be to let the loaner be the Panoptix and get a Livescope for yourself.   ;)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Well ...making maps ..using past way points..multiple screen choices ..getting a transducer seems to be a no brainer as you have a good unit already ..and are familiar 

maybe getting a Garmin kit would be a better option

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/search/?query=ice%20fishing%20case
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Marcum is updating their line of flashers this year, you can pick up a great deal as they are on sale now of a m3 or m5 flasher. Just a tip of something on sale you might be interested in.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2020, 01:20 PM »
I have the Garmin Panoptix lvs22 73cv ice kit and it has a regular puck ducer and the lvs22 panoptix both. I use the simple ducer when hole hoping or checking depth as it much quicker than dealing with the whole panoptix on a pole n such. The simple ducer works well and I have fished with just it at times. Not sure but if you can pull your Panoptix ducer off your boat, use it, you won't regret that either.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2020, 01:25 PM »
man the menu on the garmin is so good.  i'd just buy the transducer and call it good.  obviously a bit more is entailed then turning a knob but for just a backup, no reason to do anything else IMO 

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2020, 02:44 PM »
Another vote for just using your 73.  Hodges Marine has the small ice kit for $163 with shuttle, bag, GT8 and battery.  The battery is only a 7ah, but I upgraded to the Marcum brute that I got on a black friday deal.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2020, 04:39 PM »
That Garmin is far better than any flasher. IMO. If it's a plus model you could add Livescope at a future date too.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2020, 10:08 AM »
In use the 73sv for open and ice.

The gt8 is a great ducer too

Love it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2021, 08:49 PM »
Another vote for just using your 73.  Hodges Marine has the small ice kit for $163 with shuttle, bag, GT8 and battery.  The battery is only a 7ah, but I upgraded to the Marcum brute that I got on a black friday deal.

Any post season reviews on the marcum
brute?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2021, 06:56 AM »
Any post season reviews on the marcum
brute?
  I bought 2 on sale last year 10amp 12v
 Almost 3 months averaging 4 days a week and no complaints

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor