Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Okoboji  (Read 24870 times)

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
Okoboji
« on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:36 PM »
Any ice/snow reports? And fishing reports if fishable?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Okoboji
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:48 AM »
Yes. Both ice and fishing is good.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:22 PM »
Yes. Both ice and fishing is good.

Thanks for reply. I hear water clarity is better this year than the last couple, and you can sight fish again.....is that correct?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:39 AM »
This information is 3 weeks old, but I was at the mouth of Emerson and it was chrystal clear. Nothing but dinks down there, but water was clear. Good luck, have fun.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2020, 07:20 AM »
I did real good on blugills on East yesterday. There was about 400-1000 other guys. I don't know how many 8"+ blugills I saw, had to be 500. Also largemouth bass, tons of them. Clouds of baby perch, one 7" perch, 1 8" crappie. Kept a limit of blugills, all over 8 maybe6 over 9. If you had the patience you could get a limit all over 9. I bet I saw a dozen blugills in the wow category, they looked really nice. Haven't seen any like that in years. That was great to see. Water clarity was good.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2020, 05:57 AM »
Did really good again. I hear that Smith Bay has a lot of nice blugills in 20', a camera would help.

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:24 AM »
Any word on the yellow bass bite? Heard a rumor there’s some good-sized ones around and hungry

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:18 PM »
Smith bay, east okoboji  and probably minnewashta, I seen a small city out there last Saturday.

Offline limited

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2020, 03:59 PM »
Headed up that way Tuesday March 3rd thru the 9th.  Any idea how the ice will be?  Trucks or 4 wheelers?  Been kind of quiet on here about the lakes up there.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2020, 08:34 PM »
Trucks are getting around just fine.

Offline limited

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:04 AM »
Thanks Buckshots, much snow left on Spirit or West?  Have a couple guys from WI coming to Iowa this year and they wanted to know if they should pull their side by side down or just use the truck.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2020, 02:57 PM »
Headed up that way Tuesday March 3rd thru the 9th.  Any idea how the ice will be?  Trucks or 4 wheelers?  Been kind of quiet on here about the lakes up there.
Do you have family in the Okoboji area? Otherwise, why would you choose to fish there for 7 straight days?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Not much snow at all. Ice on west is 14-18”. I’d use a side by side if you have one. Then you can go from bay to bay. I wouldn’t drive a truck bay to bay. Especially with these warmer days we have been getting. Accesses can get beat up by trucks real fast on nice days.

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
Okoboji
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:51 PM »
planing a 3-5 day Okoboji trip. Any recommendations as to were to stay

Offline limited

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Thanks we have a couple side by sides and 4 wheelers. 

Offline Selfish Shack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 29, 2020, 12:58 AM »
Northland Inn . Central location. Fish cleaning house , microwave,  bed. Nothing fancy-affordable rates.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Do you have family in the Okoboji area? Otherwise, why would you choose to fish there for 7 straight days?

You make it sound like it's a bad thing to fish Okoboji for a week straight or there are much better alternatives. My buddy goes there every year (12 hr drive from Ohio) for a week to chase blue gills and loves it. Just curious why you question why someone would want to fish a whole week there????

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:48 AM »
Ohio is closer to Ontario than iowa. Ontario is better than iowa. I would tell you to fly to Detroit and we would pick you up on the way to Ontario. Okoboji fishing is usually a disappointment, like 90% of the time. The surging popularity of ice fishing and the willingness of bait shops to share any piece of information has really hurt Okoboji. You find a spot and 3 days later it's a trailer park. Old guys have a network and one of them tells the baitshop. Instant trailer park. Good luck, there are fish there but the forecast is gonna mix everything up. You won't be dealing with trucks and wheel houses, not with all the 50s in the forecast. I hope you nail them.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 29, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Where to Ontario????? I hope you're not referring to Simcoe????? I've talked to no one who has done really well there this year, and seems to be the trend for recent years. I have not made it to Okoboji, just know guys that love it and wondered why you would question it is all. Makes no difference to me. And as far as Ontario.....if I could go up to NW Ontario where we fly out from, I'd spend a month up there if I could.....as long as the drakes mix, oil and beer held out! Just got my 3 yrs liscence and card last week!

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 29, 2020, 03:41 PM »
I did real good on blugills on East yesterday. There was about 400-1000 other guys. I don't know how many 8"+ blugills I saw, had to be 500. Also largemouth bass, tons of them. Clouds of baby perch, one 7" perch, 1 8" crappie. Kept a limit of blugills, all over 8 maybe6 over 9. If you had the patience you could get a limit all over 9. I bet I saw a dozen blugills in the wow category, they looked really nice. Haven't seen any like that in years. That was great to see. Water clarity was good.
  I think post like this would be why they fish for a week straight.   

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 29, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Thank you tor the recommendation 

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 29, 2020, 06:36 PM »
  I think post like this would be why they fish for a week straight.
I fished there 41 days this year. I didn't think anyone wanted to hear about the days I didn't catch jack squat so I didn't post those days.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 29, 2020, 09:27 PM »
I fished there 41 days this year. I didn't think anyone wanted to hear about the days I didn't catch jack squat so I didn't post those days.
I appreciate hearing about your trips. That's why we are here.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2020, 06:16 AM »
Going to fish west this weekend. No 4 wheeler. Just wondering how much snow is on ice. Probably fishing west side of the lake.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2020, 05:18 PM »
Snow? You’ll be lucky if you don’t fall through the ice. It’s about shot. You’ll be on foot.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2020, 06:55 AM »
How has the bite been this week?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2020, 10:19 AM »
I heard fish are biting ok. I haven't been but my buddy was on the Grade. He kept some smaller blugills and saw crappies but they weren't biting for him. Word is that they were biting later in the day. Good luck

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2020, 03:22 PM »
I was on Emerson today. Caught a lot but a lot of sorting. Talked to 3 other groups who were not doing that well. I was using a Schooley and sitting on a bucket. Lots of guys out there fishing in places I wouldn't even try. I hope they did good.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2020, 09:23 PM »
Thanks for the update. Good luck to you if you get the chance to get out again

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2020, 03:48 AM »
I think I'm gonna skip church and go on Sunday. Let's hope the ice holds, it was not in great shape today but okay for walking. I saw some 4 wheelers out. I hope they survived their fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.