Author Topic: food on the ice forkids  (Read 8088 times)

Offline seansr

• IceShanty Rookie
food on the ice forkids
« on: Jan 17, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Good morning all. Next week we will be taking our Cub Scout pack ice fishing. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for lunch on the ice. Looking for something easy to make other than hotdogs, we have those at almost every outing, including last years ice fishing outing. There will probably be about 15 kids 6-10yrs old and parents. I have a Coleman two-burner propane stove and a large propane turkey fryer to work with. I have no problem making something the night before and heating it up on the ice. Any suggetions are appreciated. Thanks guys.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: food on the ice forkids
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Mac n cheese!

Camp stove, pot, lake water, and some kraft or velveeta shells n cheese.  The kind with nothing to mix.  Already has cheese in a foil pouch.  Easy, and I've never yet came across a kid who would turn down mac n cheese

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2015, 12:55 PM »
whip up a batch of good old chili or stew then just reheat

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2015, 10:40 PM »

x2 on that one

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2015, 01:13 AM »
Bring a couple percalators or something to heat up water, have a bunch of the ramem noodle cups and the kids will enjoy. beef ,chicken flavored. or even different flavored cup o soups a styrofoam cups.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:02 AM »
Bring a couple percalators or something to heat up water, have a bunch of the ramem noodle cups and the kids will enjoy. beef ,chicken flavored. or even different flavored cup o soups a styrofoam cups.
Being a retired scoutmaster , both of these ideas have been used, / w/ great results. I might also suggest a gallon bag of homemade trail mix(M&Ms, peanuts, raisins, etc.) & if you or any of your other adult  committee members are deer hunters,...  Venison Jerky, always a big hit w/ kids. You also could do grilled cheese sandwiches, w/ soup.  For cubs, I really like the idea of Ramen soup cups, easy. quick & simple.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Fishin2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2015, 01:54 PM »
ROLL UPS, Simple, use small burrito shells, ham, bologna ,salami ,turkey , whatever type meat ya want, ground meat that's seasoned like taco filling is good too, some kind of shredded cheese, and a bottle of ranch dressing or blue cheese, let em make what they like, if you want em warmed up, make em and put in a piece of foil after rolling it up, lay on a propane heater surface or by a fire if ya can make one,  kids here love em.

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2015, 05:45 PM »
If a fire on the ice or on shore allowable, there is nothing better than letting them cook hotdogs on a stick. And no a fire will not melt a hole in the ice. Snacks like granola bars are great, but I recommend ones that are very dry and crunchy, as opposed to gooey, the carmely bars freeze and get rock hard.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:14 PM »
I saw this on the Today show, of all places, and I think it fit's your situation perfectly. Make a big pot of chili, then give each kid an individual bag of Fritos corn chips and ladle the chili into the bag. Add some shredded cheddar and let the kids have fun with it.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Ham, eggs and cheese in a zip lock bag and boil in water until eggs are cooked. Kids love it and no dishes!

Offline 7.62x39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:21 PM »
I had chicken noodle soup on the ice this weekend....we use a lil charcoal grill....crack the lid and stick it in the coals till it boils....eat it right out of the can  :o

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2015, 10:15 PM »

Then send them home to gas up the house!  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2015, 10:49 AM »
If you can bring a small grill you could do burgers, hot dogs, brats,  or anything else you enjoy cooking on the grill.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2015, 02:06 PM »

All Cub Scout love Chili and Stew... ::)  YIKES! :o

Hot Dogs, Cookies and plenty Hot Chocolate. Gorp, a Trail Mix with M&M's, Raisins, Granola and Peanuts(if no allergies, double check) put it in pint size ziploc bags, so they can have it with them and eat anytime. Don't forget the Leaders, some beans? few of the kids might have some? Coffee!

If electric is available near shore, maybe tables and port-a-potties, I would do an all crock pot deal. All prepared at home by parents, reheated meal of Hot dogs, beans, mac & cheese, hot water on at all times for Hot Chocolate. And an adult option crock(s) and coffee!  Easy clean up too, mess goes home with each parent. ;D

Pick your location wisely...  ;)

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Greatwest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Grilled cheese always seems to taste better when in the fish shack. Quick and easy to make and what kid doesn't like grilled cheese

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:05 PM »
We always have a pile of kids with us and hot sausage subs w/mustard is a favorite as is deep fried tatertots or deep fried fries. Another favorite is deep fried chicken nuggets, they're pricey but kids love em on the ice. And we always bring seasoned flour and deep fry all panfish and this is #1 for everyone.

Offline corksniffer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I dont want to go home yet!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:18 PM »
We've done pork n beans with hamburger mixed in..

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Nothing like deep fried chicken nuggets and French fries.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:24 AM »
with the fryer, home made deep fried fries are always a hit, usually  gone as soon as they hit the plate

Offline Step-Up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Chili and stew are our family's standbys.  Make sure you have hot water to make hot chocolate.  With that many kids someone will be cold and the hot chocolate or cup-o-noodles will warm them up from the inside out while warming hands too.

I have a double pop-out and we set the stove up inside to give the kids a place to warm up out of the wind.  I'm usually the guy schlepping the most stuff out on the ice and back, but taking extra gear helps keep the wife and kids happy, which means I get to go more often!  Be prepared!  ;)

Offline seansr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas. i was mixed up with the dates we are going this weekend. I think I'm going to try the chilli in a Fritos bag. Sounds like it is going to be a little chilly on Saturday so the kids can warm up their houses with a little "gas" after. 😂 Thanks again

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Aug 31, 2015, 05:51 PM »
 Good old mcdonalds
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2015, 10:56 AM »
older thread, but plenty of good ideas for later, so i thought i'd throw in my 2 cents:

first, a small propane grill and a box of burgers will never go amiss.

next up (still with a propane grill) kids that age are absolutely fascinated by the process of cleaning and eating a fish. so what i've done in the past is to bring along a variety of seasonings and some aluminum foil; then about an hour before lunch, teach the kids how to clean their catch and prepare it for eating. when lunchtime rolls around, they're in charge of cooking and eating their fish. it's a great learning opportunity for them, and they get to brag to their parents that they caught and cooked and ate their own fish! (bring some cup-o-soups just in case one of them doesn't like their fish, or their fish gets burned)

to cook foil-fish: sprinkle liberally with your favorite seasonings (mine are salt, lemon pepper, and cajun seasoning)-be sure to get every side of the fish, wrap in heavy-duty aluminum foil, place on hot coals or on a grill for 10 minutes, then flip and leave for another 5-7 minutes before checking. the flesh should be totally opaque and flaky; if you're unsure, another 5 minutes on the fire should do it.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2015, 12:31 PM »
The individual Frito packages with chili spooned over with some cheese worked awesome for our scouts on the ice. Only required one pot for the chili. You eat right out of the bags with a plastic fork so no cleanup required....Just toss bags and fork into trash.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2015, 04:42 PM »
You got a deep fryer?  Get Pilsbury biscuits in the can. poke a hole in the center of each biscuit and deep fry 'em. Donuts is what you get. Shake 'em in a bag of sugar and cinnamon and keep 'em coming.  You will never have leftovers when you make this.  Make sure the leaders get some.  My scouts will eat every last one if you let them. ;D

Offline adam1416

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Young kids get burnt out on slow fishing pretty quick.... fire on ice with dogs and mallows provides additional entertainment.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2021, 01:55 PM »
Old thread but I’ve been looking for this for some new ideas for my own kids on ice.

Here’s a few ice (and boat) easy lunches we do.

Soup in a thermos

Lunchables - sometimes store bought sometimes just homemade in bento boxes

Uncrustables (we make ours homemade, cheap easy and customizable) we love our PB&J over the little buddy heater for warm and goey!

Hot dogs (old standby) & Johnsonville chili cheese dogs are a favorite too

Mac n cheese premade in the little loaf tins to reheat.

Always looking for more, I’m all about EZ I hate dragging a grill out on the ice with two adults and two kids we have enough stuff as it is!
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:10 PM »
And don't forget a couple of garbage bags. Start the responsebility early.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:19 PM »
Salami and cheese, crackers, fruit snacks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.