Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1607469 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #25530 on: Nov 23, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Good afternoon everyone :bow:

Should top out at 50 degrees from the looks of it. By Thanksgiving the temps will tumble some but after reading Dave's post nothing to whine about. A few of the lakes in the northern part of the State are locked up and a couple they are walking out on.

I will have to catch up on the last few days. For whatever reason the last trip to the shack pretty well left me without phone service. Usually I can get some service at 3am - 4am, but not the case this time.

I came back on Sunday and was able to get a tree job finished yesterday. I have 1 more before Christmas then I hang the closed sign up.

Today I had my long awaited Dr. appointment with a Cardiologist to find out what arrhythmia problems I have going on. He had them do an EKG, then poked around on me a bit and came to the conclusion my problems stemmed from the tetanus shot reaction I and a little over a month ago. He ordered 1 more test after Christmas, but said it is more of a precautionary test as anything, he said he's 99% sure there isn't anything wrong.

Hope everyone is doing well :thumbsup: Stay safe and keep healthy.

WS   

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #25531 on: Nov 23, 2021, 02:45 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :flex:  :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25532 on: Nov 23, 2021, 05:54 PM »
 "he said he's 99% sure there isn't anything wrong."

Great news WS  :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #25533 on: Nov 23, 2021, 08:20 PM »
Good evening, more gun problems in the city of Newburgh on Monday caused the school district o hold students in place at the high school and two middle schools during the early afternoon hours before sending students home for the day. The city's shot Spotter system sent an alert around 7AM of shots fired near one of the districts elementary schools and around 1:30 PM  system issued another alert of gun shot not to far from scene of last Wednesday's shooting. the school district cancelled all after school activities on Monday. Store is seeing increased customer traffic as folks great their Thanksgiving day meal supplies.
Wallyworld glad you did not receive more snow if you used it today may the snow blower have started up and worked problem free.
Ice Wanderer I agree with you given that there arestill a couple of court trails going on that have received nationwide attention I wonder what is going to happened after juries reached verdicts in those cases. To bad the new land owner would not give you permission to hunt on his property.
Zcm-28 thank you for sharing some of the history of deer hunting in Illinois.Eddie I hope the chill while hunting on Sunday is not a sign that you are coming down with some type of illness. thanks for the news story like on hunter Biden and China.
Hunts2long believe deciding to pass on a smaller buck or take the shot early in deer season is a yearly choice which often comes back to haunt the hunter.  I hope all went good with the new leech field installation today.
OldSailor may you and your wife get some help from your daughters preparing for the family gathering on Thanksgiving day.
Drifter i wondered if you still had the hovercraft. Once the Cabin build is complete you will need to start on some type of shelter for all your vehicles.
Whopper Stopper guess once you finish the last tree job it will be time to go over your ice fishing gear and do any thing need to get Shamu ready for use this ice fishing season.

Keep healthy and safe. Best to all hunting and fishing.
 Steve

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25534 on: Nov 23, 2021, 09:19 PM »
First things first

Marv, I am so glad your Doctor visit was the awesome good news,  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now back home, laptop, and not having the hit or miss hookup with the smart phone, it's the pits when you can't place a call or do a text.  Reminds me of not having one.  ::)  While I was in the North to me country, was able to track down a long time couple of friends, had a great time of catching up on the lost years of not knowing how they were doing.  And in addition, got to have a short, visit with a brother and sister before making the final drive home.  Looking forward to Turkey Day with youngest Daughter, Granddaughter, Grandson, and Great Grandkids that will Travel there from Nebraska.

Find I have lots of deliveries of items I had ordered prior to the Deer Hunting adventure. (More on that) later  ::) ::)  ;D
Bud

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25535 on: Nov 23, 2021, 09:45 PM »
Marv
I'm happy to hear you're not going to die yet.
I may drop in and see you in the spring. I have to drive to Ontario and empty the storage locker with all my dads stuff in it and haul it home.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #25536 on: Nov 24, 2021, 04:22 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                         It's 16* and clear here on my hill. another clear day ahead. ::)
                         Marv........That's good news from the cardiologist, I'm glad that he is going to do a follow up test just to make certain. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
                         Steve.......What the heck is going on down there, it reminds me when Newburg had the riots in the late sixty's. :cookoo:
                         Bud..........I'm glad you made it home safely and will have a nice Thanksgiving with some family. :thumbsup:
                         Dave........I forgot about the hovercraft, you sure have a lot of toys. :flex:
                         H2l..........It was a cold morning to sit but I did for a couple of hours, the wind made it almost brutal. Today is a little colder but no wind
              in the forecast. :whistle:
                         Eddie.......Did you get out yesterday?
                         Wally.......You do live in the lake effect zone, I'm glad it was only 2 to 3 inches. :blink:
                         I hope everyone has a good Wednesday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25537 on: Nov 24, 2021, 04:25 AM »
18* and light wind.
The leech field job went real good yesterday. They are "hoping" to finish today.
Didn't hunt yesterday, the wind wind  was 15/20 mph most of the day and only got up to 30*.
WS, glad the doctor had good news for you.
Have a good day and stay well.....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25538 on: Nov 24, 2021, 04:33 AM »
Ok where to start, with the Sunday Hunt.  Maybe if you want to know what to do wrong. Just ask Bud !

First off, I took the weather guessers at their word.  20mph with 35mph gusts, light snow.  Now wouldn't the animals just hunker down ???  Well then, no need to head out into the woods before it's light out right ?  So took an extra nap.  Getting up about 7:10.  Quick get dressed, and head out.  Of course, without my phone.  Or thermos of coffee. Arriving at the enclosed blind, light up the propane heater, that wouldn't light.  About 8:00 see a doe and yearling smoking through about 80 yards out, stop behind some timber, and then here comes the other yearling, catching up.

About 9:40 I detect movement out a window that is not open, thinking it was a squirrel out at about 90 yards out and the viewable area.  No wait it's deer, open the window, pick up the 30.06 flip the safety off rest it in the window sill.  Did I mention I also, (forgot to bring my binoculars?) finally settle the scope in the general area, out steps (I am sure the one) Marv, was hoping to put his pin on.  finally moves out behind a tightly group of trees.  And Wow. Head gear twice the length of its ears.  Walking directly at me.  Then it happens, Yup a heavy dose of adrenaline hits my blood stream. It's been years since, sighting such a brush pile for head gear. Other than in videos. My cross hairs settle to its chest, and my inter voice screams NOW, DONT WAIT. And boom, it ducks its head, whirls around, one jumps the opposite direction, stumbles, gathers itself, and is now in high gear, makes a turn runs through the timbers and out of sight.  By now I am thinking, gee it run pretty good for being a wounded animal  :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Now my voice say's just wait a little it will lay down.  To heck with that I am going to go look, I go to where it rearranged the sparsely covered leaves with snow.  Unhuh expecting to see blood spray'd all over the area.   :( not a drop to be found, there nor, where other leaves had been kicked over, as was on the way "I'm out of here"  All I have to offer is Ole Bud unknowingly had been affected with an acute case of BUCK FEVER. I think that is what always has us wanting to go back, Where is the "Do over" button ? Now believe I must have certainly jerked the trigger instead of squeeze, Now came the walk of shame back to the shack. :'( :'( :'(
Bud

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #25539 on: Nov 24, 2021, 05:05 AM »
Good Morning Jeff, H2, Morning Everyone,
  Clear and 19* on the Hill this am, wind has finally calmed down, high of 38.

Marv… :bow:  :clap: :thumbsup:  Thats got to be a huge relief, wonderful news from your Cardiologist, CONGRATULATIONS SIR!!!  :thumbsup: :clap: :bow: 
  Jeff…You had tough conditions to deal with yesterday with those winds! Hope today’s hunting goes well for you, good luck!  :thumbsup:  I took a pass on hunting yesterday, going to put a long afternoon in today.
  H2…glad the leech field is going well, good luck this afternoon if you’re heading out…weather conditions will be a little more comfortable!    :thumbsup:
  Dave…that hovercraft sure looks like it would be a ton of fun to cruise around in!  :clap:  Saw one in action a few years ago on Lake George, heard it long before I saw it…impressive!
  Steve…all these senseless shootings, I just don’t get it. Such a terrible world it’s becoming to be a kid just going to school.  :%$#!:
  Bud…glad you had a nice trip and safe travels! Hope you have a great time with the family for Thanksgiving…4 generations strong, that’s beautiful.   :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:
  OS…enjoy the day tomorrow with family, great news on your recovery…keep it up!   :clap: :thumbsup:
  Wally…think a few of us are waiting to be teased with some pictures from the bakery?   :whistle:  ;D
  Tom…hope you’re feeling better, well wishes sent your way Sir!   :thumbsup:

Kind of kicking myself in the rear I didn’t head out this morning, got a feeling the deer would be moving after yesterday’s weather. Will take advantage of the nicer weather this afternoon and get a jump start on tomorrow’s dinner this morning.
  Cawfee’s on…
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting!

Morning Bud,
  Damn….sooooo close!!  Well, I’m glad you got a crack at the big buck…feel your pain, you’re not alone, the buck fever has bitten a few of us! Thank you for sharing the hunt with us…any plans of a return trip before the season ends?   :thumbsup:

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25540 on: Nov 24, 2021, 05:12 AM »
Morning all, 33° and cloudy with a stiff wind this morning here. It's supposed to be around 50 with rain in the afternoon. This is the last day forecast in the 50s, and lows are all at or below freezing in the 10 day, so hopefully we're finally getting turned in the winter direction.

Just gotta make it through the daily slog at work today, then it's a 4 day weekend for me. May finally go try to get some squirrel hunting in, since deer season was a bust last weekend.

IFF - don't feel bad, it happens to us all. If you don't get excited at a deer, it's probably time to hang it up, anyway  ;) At least you have the excuse it was a huge rack... I've had my fair share of misses, and they were almost all small deer  :roflmao:

h2l - Glad to hear they are about done, but feel bad for your checkbook. I remember my folks having to replace their field 15-ish years back, and it cost a small fortune back then, so I can only imagine the price now 😬

mr.clean - Was anyone hurt, or was it just shot fired? Stuff's getting pretty bad everywhere. I live out in the middle of nowhere, and there's still bomb threats and kids bringing handguns to school once in a while. People are just crazy  :-\

WS - glad to hear you got good news from the doc  :thumbsup:

Offline Noah H.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25541 on: Nov 24, 2021, 06:43 AM »
Morning folks.  I’m finally out in the woods again, freezing my butt off in 15 degree weather.  I am once again bird and rodent watching.  But, at least I’m out in God’s beautiful creation!  It’s a beautiful clear day.

IFF- sorry to hear that.  A couple of years ago, I got that terrible condition and missed a good 8 15 yards away.  It then gave me a second chance (while it was laughing) at 10 yards. Both clean misses.  He has a good story to tell.  Another guy missed the same buck 3 times 10 minutes later.  That earned him the nickname “bulletproof buck.” 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25542 on: Nov 24, 2021, 07:06 AM »
Good morning everyone :bow:

42 degrees to kick off the morning. it's all downhill from here.

First off, Thanks for all the nice comments regarding my Dr. visit. I won't begin to pretend I wasn't worried about it, especially since my brother has been fighting with his AFib for the last few years. It was a huge relief.

Dave....The door is always open :thumbsup:

IW....Best of luck on you next sit :thumbsup:

h2l....Glad the leech field job good :thumbsup:

Bud....Happy for you being able to connect with your long time friends  :clap: Glad your ride home was uneventful, enjoy Thanksgiving with your daughter in Iowa  :thumbsup:

Eddie....Best of luck when you head back to the stand. The WI deer season runs for 9 days culminating on the 28th. My hunting is done for the year unless I find a need to sit on New Years Eve.

WW.... Like the others, looking forward to some "Bakery" pictures :flex:

It was a pleasure being able to share some "Shack Time" with Bud. It didn't turn out like I had wanted, but there is always next time. Our time together won't soon be forgotten.

Hope you all have a good day :thumbsup: Stay safe and keep healthy

WS

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25543 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:10 AM »
Nice shack, Marv!!! :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: ;)2 :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25544 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Good morning ER's hope all are well and safe. O.S. any prediction on a score for sat fb game between Ohio St. and Michigan.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25545 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:24 AM »
Good morning ER's hope all are well and safe. O.S. any prediction on a score for sat fb game between Ohio St. and Michigan.

NOPE--- The team with the most points wins!!!  ;)2 :flex: :thumbsup: :whistle: :unsure:

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25546 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Morning all,

IFF.....sorry the big one got away  :'(  we've all had that walk of shame ourselves  :pinch:  better to have a clean miss tho than a badly placed hit  ;) 

H2L....hope the guys get the leech field work done today  ;)

Eddie....good luck today  :flex:  might be a pic later, stay tuned  :whistle:

IW.....yep gotta love the lake effect snows  ::)  good luck today  :flex:

OS.....stick with the work, by this time time next year you'll be doing a jig  :woot:

MrC....seems the whole dang country has lost it's grip  :cookoo:  no snowblowing yet  @) 

WS....when does your spearing season begin, is it just whenever there's enough ice or is there a specific season  ???

Well at least one guy made it thru opening weekend of gun season  :clap:

Have a good day. Safe travels to anyone hitting the road later. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Online fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25547 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:38 AM »
Well the trip down was uneventful but dealing with the 60+ mph winds on the interstate that went from pushing you to cross winds then head winds and then 40+ when we headed south through Colorado and the road work on traffic in Denver I see why bud moved away. The view out the hotel.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25548 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:57 AM »
WS....when does your spearing season begin, is it just whenever there's enough ice or is there a specific season  ???

They changed the rules a couple years ago. Now spearing starts Nov. 15. It really doesn't pertain in my are as we have had a hard time getting on the ice until  mid Dec.

WS

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25549 on: Nov 24, 2021, 10:51 AM »
Marv what model of Stihl chainsaw is your favorite ?
Bud

Offline Noah H.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25550 on: Nov 24, 2021, 12:01 PM »
Checking the trap line today, and I had to chip my way to the minnow trap!  The ice supported my weight, 1.5 inches this morning.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25551 on: Nov 24, 2021, 12:50 PM »
Marv what model of Stihl chainsaw is your favorite ?

For a Stihl, I like the 362 Pro. It has a 3.6 Cu. In. engine. The down side would be weight, at 13 pounds (engine only) and price around $800

When I retired, having used  Stihl for 50+ years, I decided I wanted something different for fun cutting ??? I bought a Husquavarna 562 XP. Again the weight is a factor to consider at 13 pounds. and the cost will also be around $800.

Either saw will flat out do some dicing.

Now, if I just had some lighter home owner sawing to do, I would check out some of the battery operated saws. Lighter, good power, and no worry about mixing oil and gas.

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25552 on: Nov 24, 2021, 02:47 PM »
Before

After

That would be blackberry, MrWW doesn't like pumpkin  :-\

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25553 on: Nov 24, 2021, 02:58 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WS

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #25554 on: Nov 24, 2021, 04:15 PM »
I have a Pumpkin and Apple Pies all ready to be devoured tomorrow...  :woot:

HAPPY  THANKSGIVING  EVERYBODY!!!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25555 on: Nov 24, 2021, 04:22 PM »
Right back at ya Bart
Bud

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25556 on: Nov 24, 2021, 04:28 PM »
Right back at both of you!!! And Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!  :clap: :flex: ;)2 :thumbsup: :whistle: :bow: Stay safe and stay well!!! Go ahead and overeat just a bit!!!!  ;D ::)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25557 on: Nov 24, 2021, 04:40 PM »
Go ahead and overeat just a bit!!!!  ;D ::)

:roflmao: :roflmao:

WS

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25558 on: Nov 24, 2021, 05:02 PM »
IW
He who has the most toys when he dies, wins!!!  :roflmao:

WW
I like pie.  ;)

Online fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25559 on: Nov 24, 2021, 07:28 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all tomorrow have a good day with family and friends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.