Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1607976 times)

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #25500 on: Nov 20, 2021, 07:49 PM »
Good evening all, Greetings from the Marvin National Forest.  All I can report is No tree shattering BIG BOOMS, See one slip by with no head gear.  After that only gray squirrel Inforcement was out demanding the other color squirrel leave “His” stash alone

Supposed to be colder tomorrow, so will see if any horned “riff raft “ want a one way ticket out of the area. 

Sweet plow there Dave  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bud

Offline Noah H.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25501 on: Nov 20, 2021, 07:54 PM »
Good evening all, Greetings from the Marvin National Forest.  All I can report is No tree shattering BIG BOOMS, See one slip by with no head gear.  After that only gray squirrel Inforcement was out demanding the other color squirrel leave “His” stash alone

Supposed to be colder tomorrow, so will see if any horned “riff raft “ want a one way ticket out of the area. 

Sweet plow there Dave  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I went in the woods this morning for deer, instead I got to bird watch!  That’s what you get for hunting Vermont…
But, there was a half inch of ice on the pond this morning! Course it melted off by afternoon, but hey it’s something to be excited about

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25502 on: Nov 21, 2021, 03:01 AM »
Question for ya Dave what your annual snowfall amounts total  ? Has that been pretty consistent in recent years  ?  Ok so that’s two questions  ::). Sounds like a lot of lakes here in northern WI  are becoming mud puddles for lack of rain/snow

Such a beautiful day in the woods yesterday and today might seem more like ice fishing or making ice making weather. 30* 20mph winds 

Noah H maybe we were looking in the wrong direction ?  Kinda like mushrooms hunting one second they’re not there next thing they are there.  Oh and welcome to the thread

Have I ever mentioned I. Need new glasses?

Guess it has been about a year since War Bonnett has posted here
Bud

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25503 on: Nov 21, 2021, 03:48 AM »
Yikes weather guesser now says wind gusts to 35mph, light snow. That might have this ole bird staying close to the fire 🔥 box

Good morning Eddie
Bud

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #25504 on: Nov 21, 2021, 04:39 AM »
Good Morning Bud, Morning Everyone,
  33* and calm at the moment, snow showers expected again any moment, high in the mid 40’s today.

Bud…congratulations on drawing the winning ticket to hunt the “Marvin National Forest”,  that’s freaking Awesome!!!  :bow:   :clap: :thumbsup:  I hope today’s hunting goes better for you…best of luck if you dare the conditions today, will looking forward to your report!
  Marv…you da man, very well done…keep an ear open for the “friendly” fire this morning!   ;D  :bow:
  Noah…welcome aboard the 9:45!   :thumbsup:
  Dave…glad the custom mount worked out for you, the plow looks great all hooked up….money well spent!!!  :clap:
  Steve…it would have been a banner day for me yesterday also …squirrel hunting!  ;D  Will see what happens today with a solo trip.
  Z…congrats on knocking down the coyote, hope today’s hunting gets a deer in range for you!   :thumbsup:
  FH4…best of luck to the family members tagging out!   :thumbsup:
  Tom…X2 on Steve’s reply, hope you’re starting to feel some relief today, dang!
  Jeff/H2…best of luck today if heading out!   :thumbsup:
  Wally…best of luck to Mr.WW and his brother today!   :thumbsup:

My son and I reached our spots yesterday morning with about 45 minutes to spare before legal shooting hours began. Heard the first shot of the day in the distance about 6:20am…some early bird starting off the opener 10 minutes early.  :cookoo:
  Around 7:15, 4 rapid fire shots rang out downhill guessing maybe 500yds from our area. My son sent me a quick text and said sounds like somebody just missed a buck, lol. At 7:20, my son fired…next text message…just dropped a decent spike horn Dad!   ;D
  He said the buck was wheezing and out of breath…guessing it was the same buck shot at…dropped it in its tracks 25yds. away from that new ground blind we built together!   :clap:
  We stayed on stand until about 10:30 and dragged that one out, didn’t see anything in my area other than squirrels. Loaded up the deer to head home, got about 60yds. down the road from where I was parked and see a slammer 8 pointer walking down the same area we just left. Put the brakes on, he stared at us briefly turned around and flag up, bolted back up the hill, lol. Off to see if I can cross paths with that one, lol. 
  Cawfee’s on…
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25505 on: Nov 21, 2021, 06:21 AM »
Morning all, 40° and pouring rain here, so I'm skipping hunting this morning. I hate getting wet. It's supposed to clear off by midday, though, so I should get an afternoon sit in.  Only having a 7 day deer season sucks when the weather doesn't cooperate  :-\

masoneddie - hope you see your buck today

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25506 on: Nov 21, 2021, 06:48 AM »
32* and cloudy.
Eddie, CONGRATS, to your son. That sure makes your day. Good Luck on the big one.
Drifter, the "rid" looks great.
Noah H., welcome to the morning club. I am not seeing any birds or squirrels this year. Last year you could have filled a freezer with red squirrels and I saw my 1st of the year, yesterday.
I hunted Friday and Sat. Yesterday it was 18* when I left the jeep but very noisy walking. I sat for 3 hours and went back in the PM for almost 4 hours. PM sat where I saw the buck on Wed. No deer.
The wife and Lindsay went to Trader Joe's yesterday and then Lindsay and Rocky came for dinner.
No hunting today, only 2 weeks left. Dad always said "it only takes a second" to get one, so lots of seconds left.

Thanks for the thoughts on my ankle issue. Not really sure what caused it but it being my left foot it would not have been good bowling. It was either all the "drive" time, old age, or that moon, sun, earth line up the other morning.

Have a good day and be well...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25507 on: Nov 21, 2021, 06:51 AM »
            Good morning all, still here and doing well thanks. I've been keeping up with the gang all along just nothing much to post. Have not been on the ice for three years or more, sold all my ice fishing to the guy next door( 100 yards away ) he has keep me in salmon  smelts some !!  Not too steady on the legs any more so have to be careful now . Thanks for asking Bud, Like Marv's videos, welcome to the retired ones Eddie !!!!   Have a good all,    Dave

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25508 on: Nov 21, 2021, 07:14 AM »
Morning all,

Eddie.....congrats to your son, good luck to you today  :flex: :thumbsup:

WS.....way to go sharing your forest with IFF  :bow: :thumbsup:

IFF.....hope you see a shooter if you decide to brave the wind/snow  ;)2

H2L.....glad the ankle is feeling better, good luck tonight  :clap:

IW.....good luck if hitting the woods today  ;)

TT.....thoughts and prayers sent for a speedy/complete recovery  :)

Z....hope the rain lets up  :-\

MrC.....MrWW's back in the woods for gun opener  :flex:

Lots of shooting in the woods around here yesterday, hoping to see my "regulars" show up again on camera  :unsure:

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25509 on: Nov 21, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Evening all... 41° and very windy. Rain let up around 11am, bur the wind has been clipping along at 20-35mph all day.

Sat in the stand from about 1:30 till dark... saw a boatload of squirrels, but no deer. Only heard one shot around 2:30, so apparently noone else was seeing much, either. Season is closed until Dec 2nd now, so hopefully second season goes better.

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #25510 on: Nov 21, 2021, 09:32 PM »
Good evening ,updates on the recent gun violence in my area of NY.  no one was hurt this past Monday when  a gun was fired outside of Poughkeepsie high school police did find a 13 year old in vicinity with a hand gun he is being held at a youth detention center on charge of illegally having a hand gun. In the Newburgh shooting 3 of the 4 young men shot are out of the hospital the fourth is in stable condition. Seventeen shell casing found at scene of shooting show at least four different hand guns were involved in the shooting. In more positive news Newburgh's varsity football team advanced to state tournament semi-final round this past Saturday with a win over Arlington. I also received a phone call from my sister at around 8:40 PM telling me she and my BIL arrived safely in San Diego and were checking in at their hotel. A mix-up over flight times caused them to miss their direct flight this morning from Newark(NJ.) so they had to take a later flight to Chicago and then onto San Diego. Glad they got there safely and will be spending Thanksgiving with my nephew and his significant other.
Noah H. welcome to Ice Shanty.com and the 9:45 thread enjoy the website lots of helpful members and information to be found among the websites different forums/boards. Pleas feel free to post in this thread on a regular basis as this thread evolved it grew into a sort of morning internet group with a group of ice shanty members posting daily but everyone is welcome to post. Best to you this coming ice fishing season.
IFF if you ventured into the "Marvin National Forest today may you have seen more deer. I hope you also got to spend some time getting to kow Whopper Stopper/Marv,his wife and sisterin law better.
Eddie congratulations to your son on harvesting the spike horn.  :clap: :thumbsup: May the slammer 8 point buck you saw yesterday have paid you a visit today and presented a chance to take a shot.
Zcm-28 may you have better weather and see more deer when the season reopens on Dec. 2ND.
Hunts2long good to hear you ankle is feeling better hope you had a good night if you bowled and your team moved up in standings.  May you also see more deer on your next trip to the woods.
WarBonnent good to hear all is good with yoo sorry to hear you are no longer ice fishing. Nice that the neighbor you sold your gear to shares some of his catches with you.
Wallyworld guessing Mr.WW has a doe permit/tag or hunts in a wild life management unit that gives out permits to harvest a second buck. May you se photos of your regular visiting deer on the game cameras. Given all the gun shots yesterday the deer may relocate or one might have gone home with a hunter.
Ice Wanderer if you went out i hope you also saw some deer in range of your muzzle loader.

May everyone have a good night. Best to all hunting and fishing this week.
 Steve

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25511 on: Nov 21, 2021, 09:42 PM »
Bud
We don't really get a ton of snow here most of the moisture gets dumped in the mountains before it gets to us.
Usually the snow in the bush is maybe 3-4 feet by the end of the winter.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25512 on: Nov 22, 2021, 01:52 AM »
Well now that I moved some east of the Marvin  National Forest I have areal strong signal with a cell tower near a near life long couple here near Shell Lake.  With somewhat of a heavy heart about cutting short the wonder Accommodations and hoist/caretakers Marv and Jo  wanted to check in on the other friends. All that I will add at this point is a very well done to Eddie and crew on the harvest that was achieved in hunting outing.  The account of what happened Sunday morning will have to come later. I need to get the heater back on in the RV before I turn into an Ice sickle
Bud

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25513 on: Nov 22, 2021, 04:49 AM »
41* and we had rain overnight.
Bowling was cancelled due to medical issue with owners daughter. Not sure what but I know she was air-lifted to Westchester.
So, I went hunting, saw one standing out in front of my 1st spot I come to when going in. I was checking wind direction to see where I wanted to set. Pretty sure it was a doe, so I sat there. About 4pm a deer came from my left, got to about 20yds before I saw horns. They aren't quite as long as his ears. Not the same buck I saw last week. He turned and walked away, don't think he knew what I was.
Hope everyone has a good Monday. I have a few things to do around here this morning but just might go check out the woods this afternoon...Stay well....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #25514 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:00 AM »

Good morning IFF< H2l, ER's,
                       It's 38* and cloudy here on my hill. ::)
                       Bud........Did you even get a chance to see any activity at the Marvin National Forest? ???
                       H2l.........I'm not sure if I would have let that deer go, it was meat in the freezer, just depends how big of a body it had. :unsure:
                       Eddie......Congratulat ions to your son Mike Or Steven  ??? on getting some meat. :thumbsup: :clap:
                       Dave.......3 to 4 feet is enough to get around on a snowmobile. :flex:
                       Marv........It was nice of you to let Bud have a crack on your property. :thumbsup: :clap: :bow:
                       Time is getting short, I'm heading out in a few.
                       I hope everyone has a good Monday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25515 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:18 AM »
Morning all, 23° clear and breezy here with a bit of frost.

Disappointing first season of hunting for sure, I'll probably be going over the ice fishing gear today or tomorrow since it's another week before 2nd season for deer.

IFF - uh oh, hopefully nothing too serious going on.  ???

mr.clean - thanks. 2nd season usually sees a lot less pressure than first, so hopefully the deer will be moving better. Nobody I know who hunts around here saw much, and only 2 of them got deer over the opening 3 days.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25516 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:48 AM »
Good Morning H2, Jeff,  Morning Everyone,
  Looks like we received some rain showers overnight, 42* this am which will be the high for the day.

H2…dang, I’m not too sure I would have passed on that one either, lol. Glad you’re seeing some deer now, hope the afternoon hunt brings a better buck into range!   :thumbsup:
   Jeff…it was Mike who scored the spike horn. Good luck this morning, hope the woods treat you with a shooter!   :thumbsup:
  Bud…sorry the weather conditions weren’t in your favor for your hunting trip, glad you were able to enjoy some “ Shack “ time with Marv and Jo, that’s just awesome!    :clap:  Hope you’re enjoying the time spent with your old friends…stay warm and safe travels Sir!   :thumbsup:
  Dave..I was thinking more like 5-6’ or more of snow for your area…quite surprised with that, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:  Believe my area averages about the same depending on what source you read from…32-45”.  Anymore ice updates recently?
  Steve….seems to be a never ending problem with all the shootings going on. Very sad and scary to read such young kids carrying pistols.  :%$#!:  On a brighter note, glad to read your sister and B-I-L reached their destination ok, hope they enjoy their Thanksgiving visit with your nephew and girlfriend!   :clap:
  Z…wow, what a short deer season in Illinois! Sorry you didn’t score on round 1, hope the 2nd season brings you better luck!   :thumbsup:  Can you use a black powder rifle during the gun season instead of a shotgun? Might be a good option if allowed to reach out longer distances?
  Wally…hopefully your regulars make it through, might start seeing them going nocturnal now with the hunting pressure. Best of luck continued for Mr.WW!   :thumbsup:
  WarBonnet…Thank You and nice to see you posting again, welcome back Sir!  :thumbsup: :clap: 

Thank You all for the kind words and congrats for my son, passed them on to him!   :thumbsup: :bow: 
  Didn’t see much of anything yesterday morning other than those darn squirrels again, lol. Did some scouting on my way out looking for scrapes and rubs in the area where we saw that big 8. Found one scrape and a very nice spot to set up on it with another ground blind and much better shooting distance than the one I’ve been using. Will give that a try this afternoon.
  Cawfee’s on…
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25517 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:56 AM »
masoneddie - yeah, IL deer seasons are short and weird.

Shotgun/handgun is 7 days. The Friday-Sunday the week before Thanksgiving, then Thursday-Sunday the week after. There is also a 3 day muzzleloader season Friday-Sunday the week after shotgun closes, and you are allowed to use a muzzleloader the second part of shotgun season. It's the weirdest seasons of anywhere I've ever lived.

Tons of squirrels running around here, too. I would have been set if I was hunting squirrels instead of deer  :roflmao:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25518 on: Nov 22, 2021, 01:40 PM »
Eddie
All ice in town is now safe.
This is the last update for this winter.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #25519 on: Nov 22, 2021, 03:00 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :flex: :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #25520 on: Nov 22, 2021, 09:30 PM »
 Good evening outside temperature near freezing point after reaching a high in the lower fifties today. Prayers for those killed and injured in Waukesha,Wisconsin after a man drive his Suv at high speed into the annual Christmas parade route  yesterday afternoon. On my newspaper's website today was an editorial from the ST.Louis Post Dispatch about how the United States need to be careful as the government pushes to increased usage of electric vehicles. Since most batteries are made in China which has less strict environmental regulations then the U.S. given the friction between our Fed.government and China's leaders author of piece stated that the U.s could see itself in deal like after 1973 middle east war where Arab members of OPEC cut back oil production to punish the U.S. for supporting Israel during the war. Article stated unlike petroleum there is no strategic reserve of batteries.
Drifter good to hear the snowmobile riders association now consider lakes in your area safe for travel. Like Eddie I thought given your Northern location Yellow Knife would have a higher yearly snow fall total.
Hunts2long prayer said for the bowling alley owner's daughter. May one of the buck's with short antlers relative with a larger antler growth pay you a visit on your next time out hunting.
IFF have a good visit with your friends. Looking forward to your Sunday report from the Marv. National Forest.
Ice Wanderer I hope you saw some deer today best to you in filling your tag before the season ends for this year.
Eddie it is sad to see young people using guns for violent purposes. Good to read you may have found a scrape from the 8 pt. buck if you built a new blind by the scrape may the work be rewarded with a chance to harvest the buck.
Zcm-28 thank you for sharing information on Illinois shotgun/handgun deer season. Best to you in getting a buck during the second part of the season.
Wallyworld hope only a busy day kept you from posting and not an emergency or computer problems.

May everyone stay healthy and safe. Best to all hunting and fishing.
  Steve

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25521 on: Nov 23, 2021, 05:10 AM »
Morning all,

Thoughts and prayers to all involved in the tragedy in Wisconsin  :'( :'(

H2L....sorry to hear about the owner's daughter, thoughts and prayers sent  :(

Eddie.....hope the change in location gave you THE shot  ;D

IW.....good luck if heading out today  ;)2

IFF.....bet Jake will be happy to see you when you get home  :woot:

TT.....hope you're feeling better  :-\

MrC.....glad to ear your sister/b-i-l arrived in CA safely  :thumbsup:

2-3" of snow on the ground this morning, plow/sander just went by  ::)  guess bike season is officially over now  :'(

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #25522 on: Nov 23, 2021, 05:16 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                         It's 18* and clear here on my hill. ::)
                         Dave.........I'm glad the ice is now safe for use, when is your next trip to the cabin? ??? I just thought, you plan to eventually move
                full time to the cabin, what is the plan between safe ice in and open water out? ???
                         Eddie........Good idea moving the blind to the new location, I hope it produces good results. :thumbsup:
                         Steve........The world is going haywire, shootings, running people down with cars and burning houses down. :cookoo:
                         Zcm..........It's too bad that the seasons are so short, I guess hunters have to take vacations to get the week in. :unsure:
                         H2l...........I'm hoping that bigger deer shows up for you. :flex:
                         Marv.........Are you still up protecting "The Shack"? ???
                         Wally........You must have gotten a quick lake effect squall, it's clear here.
                         I'm getting really discouraged where I'm hunting, it looked good in the beginning but seems to have fizzled out. I was going to start on
                a 150 acre plot behind my house but it was recently sold and I met the new owner yesterday and asked if I could hunt it and was asked not to.
                He bought it for his and his family to hunt. I respect that.
                          I hope everyone has a good Tuesday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25523 on: Nov 23, 2021, 05:19 AM »
Morning all, 19° clear, and dead calm here, which is a rarity. There are wind farms all over around here because it's almost always windy, so calm weather is always sort of weird  ;D

Got all my ice gear sorted last night so it's ready to go whenever we get that first ice. Hoping for the first week of January, but the weather is the weather, so we'll see what happens.

ww - you just need some of those studded bike tires like the ice racers use   ;)

IW - yeah, I usually end up using 2-3 vacation days a year to hunt, just because the season is short. I'm basically in the same boat for land use as you, too. I'm down to only having one spot to hunt, and it is by far the least productive of any of them I was hunting. The rest have all been sold off over the years, mostly to city people who have chopped off most of the trees and built McMansion retirement/vacation homes on them.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25524 on: Nov 23, 2021, 05:26 AM »
Good Morning Wally, Jeff, Z,  Morning Everyone,
  Clear and 25*, winds steady at 15-20, high of 32.   Thoughts and prayers to all those involved the Waukesha Christmas Parade, horrifying.

Steve…guess it shouldn’t “shock “ anyone that the firm Hunter Biden works with recently helped seal the deal for China to acquire a very lucrative Cobalt mine.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-biden-firm-chinese-purchase-cobalt-mine    My take on the Green New Deal is … :sick:  Let’s Go Brandon!
  OS..hope you’re seeing some improvements each passing day Sir!   :thumbsup:
  Dave…looking good out there!!!  :clap:  Thanks for the report, hopefully the snow stays away for awhile now while the ice grows!   :thumbsup:
  Z…thanks for the reply, took a peak yesterday at the Illinois rules/regulations…pretty weird is right, lol. Any idea what the reasoning is behind that?  Best of luck with round 2!   :thumbsup:
  Jeff…best of luck to you today if your heading out, that’s too bad the landowner won’t let you on the property, dang. Any other places you have access to?  :thumbsup:
  Marv…what’s on today’s planner? Hope you enjoyed your time with Bud and you get another chance to do it again before the season comes to an end!   :thumbsup: :clap:
  Wally…will you be heading to Mass for Thanksgiving with the family? Imagine the bakery will be up and running… :thumbsup:  Sorry to read the bike season is over, we had some flurries and freezing rain here yesterday, but it didn’t last. That  2” of snow would be ideal here right now… ;D

Made it to my spot around 11:30am yesterday morning, winds were steady but in my favor, temperatures slowly dropping throughout the day. Had a case of the chills yesterday morning for whatever reason before leaving, but thought they would pass…wrong, lol. Warmed up on the walk in but that didn’t last long.
  About 2:30 I saw movement in a patch of pines fairly close to me, maybe 75yds., got the adrenaline rush going, but couldn’t make it out. Few moments later out walks a Doe. She just slowly worked her way out of sight, cautious but not spooked. Waited for a buck to hopefully be trailing but that didn’t happen unfortunately. By 4:30 I had enough, couldn’t wait to walk and get the blood flowing. Hated to pass on the last hour, but the elements got the best of me…one of those days.
  Taking the day off today, have some errands to run and a Doe permit to pickup that’s being transferred to me for the area!    :thumbsup:
  Cawfee’s on…
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25525 on: Nov 23, 2021, 05:51 AM »
masoneddie - not a clue. They've been doing it that way since they started the shotgun deer season here back in the 60s. 🤷‍♂️ There was actually no deer hunting in IL from 1901 until 1958 or 59 because deer were almost extirpated. The population for the entire state was under 300 in the late 40s, but then the DNR reintroduced them through the 50s and 60s. The county I live/hunt in wasn't reopened for hunting until the 70s.

They've had legislation on the table to make rifles legal in the currently deer legal handgun cartridges a couple times now. It passed the state house a couple years ago, but fizzled out in the state senate last year. Basically the same bill has been brought back into committee in the house again, so hopefully it makes it this time, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25526 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:22 AM »
23* and light wind. I think the coldest night at the house so far.

Over the years I have let a "few" walk. Some years it works out, some years I eat more beef. I have never looked back. For about 5 years my brother in law and I said 6 point or bigger the 1st two weeks of season. That didn't last long in the Adirondacks. One year I passed a spike horn twice and shot him on the last day of season. Then there was "9 lives". We all saw him so many times that year, we named him. By the end of season I don't think any of us would dared to shoot him. Yesterday I did go out in the PM. No deer, it was cold and windy. Also went to an old spot that I use to hunt. I found out that when I get off the beaten path it is tough going for me. Got me to thinking that I am going to have to have a good shot before I pull the trigger.

They are coming today to replace my leech field, so hanging around this morning.

Have a good day and stay well....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #25527 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:38 AM »
Morning ER's!! 19 here this morning, coldest this fall!! Thanks Eddie, I'm just taking it one day at a time! I can believe the year prognosis now!! We are hosting family for Thanksgiving and it's adding up to be a decent sized crew!! I even got my ears lowered for the event!! :woot: :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: ;)2 Everyone please stay safe and healthy for the holidays!!! :thumbsup: Good luck to those hunting and/or fishing!!!
OS
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25528 on: Nov 23, 2021, 10:36 AM »
IW
This is the shoulder season mobile.  ;D

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25529 on: Nov 23, 2021, 10:48 AM »
OOOOOOOO.......I want one of those  :whistle: :clap: :woot: