Author Topic: warm temps and ice  (Read 405 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
warm temps and ice
« on: Feb 20, 2014, 01:08 PM »
being here in lower NY and with these warmer temps,I wonder what it might do to the ice ?

But I see next week it is supposed to be fridgid again.....I haven't heard any sleds on the lake ?

I mean it's great for the furnace to not be calling for coal like it has been..lol
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: warm temps and ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I don't believe the ice will melt very fast for most of the lakes.  The exceptions are the shorelines and any moving water....moving water can open up FAST with a slight warmup.  We've got almost 2 ft up here of ice so I'm not worried at all...however any moving water, bubblers and shorelines will degrade fast in my opinion.  A spudbar is always a good thing to carry and use if you have any concerns.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2014, 01:44 PM »
I don't believe the ice will melt very fast for most of the lakes.  The exceptions are the shorelines and any moving water....moving water can open up FAST with a slight warmup.  We've got almost 2 ft up here of ice so I'm not worried at all...however any moving water, bubblers and shorelines will degrade fast in my opinion.  A spudbar is always a good thing to carry and use if you have any concerns.

great advice.I appreciate it very much.. ;D
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Cwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:17 PM »
My wife daughter and i fished under overcast skies today with an air temp of 47 and 10 inches of black ice and 6 of slush fishing was slow but it really dosent get any better condition wise, looking foward to finishing out the last five days of the ri trout season with a warm front lol also she has beat  the state brookie record by a whooping 5.7 lbs wich is still under review by dem officials, I am having a lot of trouble with photo bucket  uploading all our winter pics does anyone have any suggestions on a better way so I can get this whooper posted anyone in doubt PLEASE IM ME and I will be happy to show you the famous 9.8 ri brookie:)

Offline Cwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:25 PM »
I do believe well have safe ice well into march in ri despite warm fronts:) were a hard water family stay sage friends !! I'm dying to get all our pics posted any help besides photo bucket you'd be much appreciated folks

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:39 PM »
You may be able to set an album in Google+ and post a link. Or possibly a link if you upload to cloud storage i.e. SkyDrive, Google Drive.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.