Author Topic: Reel suggestions  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Reel suggestions
« on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:25 AM »
I got a quiver stick to give to my brother in law for a Christmas gift.  I am thinking about getting him a reel to go with it.  It has to be cheap.  I've already spent enough.  I am think about a sienna 500 or a cheap fly real.  Any suggestions under $30? 

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
Re: Reel suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2012, 12:00 PM »
If you want a spinning reel a Mitchell avocet UL is very nice reel for 20 bucks.  I recently picked up a Clam spooler and its a decent little straight liner for about 25 bucks.
]

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2012, 02:55 PM »
The Sienna 500 would be your best choice in that price range.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Another vote for the sienna 500 can always upgrade the drag to carbon for a couple bucks, I have a couple siennas and after a drag upgrade and a hot sauce treatment you cannot tell them apart from my sedona and saharas

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:46 PM »
Yeah I have a couple sienna's myself. I like them alot.
I have an Okuma SLV on my quiverstick.  I didn't know if there was fly reel option for him that would work well in the lower price range.  Does the Sienna beat out a lower priced fly reel?

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Yeah I have a couple sienna's myself. I like them alot.
I have an Okuma SLV on my quiverstick.  I didn't know if there was fly reel option for him that would work well in the lower price range.  Does the Sienna beat out a lower priced fly reel?

They both have good applications - a fly reel is not the best fishing for lake trout in 80' of water... a spinning reel is not the best fishing for finicky bluegill in 4' of water
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2012, 01:43 PM »
I picked up a Clam Spooler for the quiverstick.  I like the size and the extended reel stem and the price.  Should be a good gift.

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2012, 01:49 PM »
look for an okuma slv 2/3 fly reel in that price range, great buy. i would go fly reel over spinning any day

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:37 AM »
If you are fishing twenty feet or less, I would definitely go with the Okuma SLV. They weigh 4.5 oz., which would be a sweet set up with that rod. If you're maxed out on cash, let your
brother-in-law get his own reel. Better yet, buy an SLV and keep the set up for yourself. ;D

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Shimano Sienna is a great reel for the money, I have several.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2012, 11:42 PM »
If you are fishing twenty feet or less, I would definitely go with the Okuma SLV. They weigh 4.5 oz., which would be a sweet set up with that rod. If you're maxed out on cash, let your
brother-in-law get his own reel. Better yet, buy an SLV and keep the set up for yourself. ;D

BINGO :woot:
AW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.