Author Topic: Reels  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Walleye Assassin

• IceShanty Rookie
Reels
« on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:10 PM »
I've been looking for reels to compliment a 28" medium rod.  It doesn't matter the type or if its baitcast, spinning or fly.  Just thought i'd get your guy's opinion before i pull the trigger.  So if you guys could put what you prefer or the size of reel i'm looking for that would be great!!
Thanks Guys!! ;D ;D

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:20 PM »
On my 30" med. for perch and 'eyes I've got a micro Quantum. I'm not sure of the size but I chose the open water reel over an ice reel because the gearing was better with the instant anti-reverse and the drag was smoother. I took it off my brookie rod and just put some low temp lube in it. I want to say it might be a 15 series reel...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:26 PM »
I'm partial to Pflueger president 6720/6920(new model) but lots of good choices out there from shimano, Mitchell, Abu...I would stay with the UL sizes for a med rod under 36".
]

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:38 PM »
got a gander ice reel combo reel on my gsx medium rod 28 inch rod. on my other rods i have cardnal 401i"s and pfluger trion. i like the trion much better i broke a 401i already and had to return it.

but if looking for the latest intell on reel i would look at cabelas for the 13 fishing black bueaty reels. they have enough room to fish with gloves on and are made like a fly reel so you do not get line twist.

Offline Walleye Assassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:41 PM »
I was kinda looking more into shimano because of the handles on their spinning reels but I was also curious about their baitcasters for ice fishing as I have a curado for summer fishing and love it! So if anyone has a recommended size for shimano baitcasters or if they will even work that would be awesome! :) :)

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2012, 12:01 AM »
i went with a PFlueger Purist 1330 this year. Pretty smooth but a little to big for a med rod u might go with the smaller model

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2012, 12:10 AM »
I was kinda looking more into shimano because of the handles on their spinning reels but I was also curious about their baitcasters for ice fishing as I have a curado for summer fishing and love it! So if anyone has a recommended size for shimano baitcasters or if they will even work that would be awesome! :) :)

ya in my experiences shimano does make a good reel if it is in a curado "g" series with a 8lbtest rating as the min. it should work just take it off the summer rod and use it just spool it with different line etc....for the lighter rod like 6 lb test in stead of 8 lb test  or 30 lb spider wire etc...

Offline BigBassLee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2012, 12:10 AM »
Frabill 241 Straight Line.  I can't wait to try mine.  Quick retrieve without the line twist
Big Bass Lee

Offline nute7810

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • OFFICIAL LURKER.....of the Bikini Ice Fishing Team
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2012, 01:25 AM »
I've got shimanos, sierras, sedonas, and saharas all in 500 size for all my spinning reels and they handle everything from bluegills to a 10# northern. If you fish deep water, 30 - 40 ft maybe a 1000 size would hold more 6 or 8# line for jigging big waldos   ;D

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2012, 04:09 AM »
I've got shimanos, sierras, sedonas, and saharas all in 500 size for all my spinning reels and they handle everything from bluegills to a 10# northern. If you fish deep water, 30 - 40 ft maybe a 1000 size would hold more 6 or 8# line for jigging big waldos   ;D
X2x2x2

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:46 AM »

well you guys will all laugh but i use Shakespear sigma 200 for eyes and perch and never had a problem and $18.00 , i  use them with yad 29" med rods and even on catfish to

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:55 AM »
I REALLY THINK THE ROD IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN THE REEL.  ::)
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:57 AM »
I've got an old Curado that I've used for a couple of years on a pike jig rod; love it's open water performance. It's being replaced by an old ABU this year, I figure it's really only pretty much a line holder for how I use it. I also have a couple of Shimano spinning reels. Had issues with one cracking the anti-reverse gizmo but were other wise great. I also own Daiwa and Quantum reels and really have no complaints.

I'd say if you stick to a known manufacturer and size the reel to your use you should be fine. I do strip the factory grease out of reels intended for ice use and re-lube with Blue Lube (intended for tip-ups). I use that because I have a bunch on hand, I'm sure any low temp lube would do the trick. I just hate a stiff reel when it's cold.........

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:03 AM »
I REALLY THINK THE ROD IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN THE REEL.  ::)

if thats the case why are we getting 6061's

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:18 AM »
I have about 8 of them on my open water and hard water rods. For $30 bucks I think the Shimano Sienna is a great deal! Like another post said, 500 is a great size for ice fishing, but if your chasing larger predator fish or fishing deep the 1000 class works well too!! Tight lines.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:23 AM »
doesn't matter how the reel looks or the line you use. what matters the most is how smooth the drag is and is it easily adjustable. next is the rod and will it mate up with the reel. light line and a noodle rod go great together. the heavier the action of the rod the heavier the line that you will most likely use. walmart sells some good reels at a fair price and they will help you catch a limit if you mate them up properly. the straight line reels will help a lot with the line twist if they have a good drag and it is set like it is suppose to be. take care and have fun this season.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:27 AM »
if thats the case why are we getting 6061's
lol. I knew that would bite me in the ass. I have to have the best, because I suck lmao
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:28 AM »
lol. I knew that would bite me in the ass. I have to have the best, because I suck lmao

ya but you can suck with style lol

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:42 AM »
Shimano Sienna 1000 is decent and inexpensive.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Tica cetus reels are so great and affordable had mine 3 seasons and it honestly has never been lubed and still is whisper quite!
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2012, 11:00 AM »
ya in my experiences shimano does make a good reel if it is in a curado "g" series with a 8lbtest rating as the min. it should work just take it off the summer rod and use it just spool it with different line etc....for the lighter rod like 6 lb test in stead of 8 lb test  or 30 lb spider wire etc...
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the g series. The E series reels are better made and have better components. Shimano tried to save money by painting the e series curado white and calling it a chronarch. All of the reels have been cheapened in the g series. Not saying they are bad reels but shimano really crap the bed this year at icast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.