Author Topic: Fly reels  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Walleye Assassin

• IceShanty Rookie
Fly reels
« on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:57 PM »
I've seen a couple of pictures on here of guys fly set ups for ice fishing.  I was wondering if there was any advantages over a traditional spinnig or casting set up. Or where you picked it up.  They were usually for pan fish so is it just to have more fun fighting the fish?

Thanks WA

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fly reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:29 AM »
there is no diference between the casting reels and that of a fly reel. the big difference is that of a spinning reel that you get ton of line twist with. the casting and fly reels prvent this if you look at the 13 fishing black beuaty reel that is made for is fishing with gloves on has a longer reel foot  bigger cranking knob etc... just for ice fishing they are trying to do away with line twist because your ice jig under water spinning in circles wile a fish is getting dizzy looking at it. any ways best bet would be a casting reel or a fly reel so this does not happen. 

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:26 AM »
I get the line put on my Spools when I buy it. Plus I try to use better quality line so I don't get line twist...or not as much as other guys. Not trying to brag, but I usually do a little better that most of the crowd using fly gear in my area. At times I do use small 2/3 weight fly reels for on stand up rods or hole hopping.... (They are fun!) + Plus fish never complained before about line twist (?). Its  just a sales pitch.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Walleye Assassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Would this be a practical reel for walleye or northerns or just panfish?

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:31 AM »
I get the line put on my Spools when I buy it. Plus I try to use better quality line so I don't get line twist...or not as much as other guys. Not trying to brag, but I usually do a little better that most of the crowd using fly gear, when I use spinning gear. I do use small 2/3 weight fly reels for on stand up rods or hole hopping.... (They are fun!) + Plus fish never complained before about line twist (?). Its  just a sales pitch.

I've watched schools of gills come in and just Stare at a jig as it just slightly spins in the water.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:38 AM »
i too have seen fish come in and just look at it spinning.fly reel sounds interesting my problem is i never had a ice reel worth a crapp.so which one ???

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:45 AM »
An ice jig that is being jigged doesn't spin. A stationary one does. If I'm not jigging and see something on my flasher I start jigging to stop the spin. I had my camera down one afternoon and watched Perch hold back and look at my jig and when I jigged it the spin stopped and they nailed it. I bought a small fly reel last winter and hopefully I will have enough ice this winter to try it out.  ::)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:58 AM »

Ignore the shoe, it's in there for size comparison.

Offline Walleye Assassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 AM »
Where did you pick that up IceFisher?

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:04 PM »
The rod is a Thorne Bros 32" Quiverstick XL, with the specific fly reel seat.  Ordered from the store online.

As for the reel itself, it is an Okuma SLV 2/3.  Bought it direct from the Okuma website online.

I put 40 yards (estimate) of 50lb tip-up line for backing.  Then 30 yards of 6lb Flouro.  Then finally for my leader I put on suffix 3lb ice magic (orange).

Offline Walleye Assassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Would a 13 fishing black betty reel be a good choice?

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:38 PM »
it takes a special rod to to use a fly rod ???im glad i didnt order one.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2012, 04:27 PM »
Any rod...will do.
If the gills are turning from your (spinning) jig, maybe you need to jig and try entice them & get them to commit, or it could be the wrong presentation. Sometimes its a reaction strike, so if your just sitting on your jig it might not happen for ya....
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2012, 04:56 PM »
If you're fishing shallow, any fly reel will do. If you intend to go deeper than say 10' (I fish deep), consider a good, small body baitcaster. It will serve you better for both soft and hard water.

I've been collecting some Ambassadeur 521 XLT reels. I've been fishing 3 of them for 30 years or more and recently picked up 3 more just for the ice. It might be 4 ::)

A bit of cleaning and refurb and they'll be nice ;D. They're smooth as silk, great drag and have a 7:1 take up. Made in Sweden. Not some cheap Chinese junk.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.