Author Topic: aqua vu showdown vs. vexilar  (Read 6496 times)

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
Re: aqua vu showdown vs. vexilar
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:26 PM »
I just went to Vexilars website.. And until now I thought these things were complicated to use!  They are actually fairly simple to use  :woot:  I was thinking about purchasing some sort of fish finder and was leaning towards the showdown but after seeing that the flashers are not hard to read I would probably get one if it wasn't for the price!

I mainly fish in water that is under 10 ft deep (Lake st clair MI.) I'm not sure what type one to buy for shallow conditions??  Can anybody chime in with pros and cons of each for shallow water usage?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:51 PM »
I own 2 flashers and purchased a Showdown about a month ago.  I took them all ice fishing in Northern Wisconsin this past weekend and they all work; however, I think the Showdown is a better unit:  It's cheaper, much more quiet, the battery last a LOT longer, and it's easy to operate & read.  I also thought it did a better job of picking up fish & small jigs.  I let my buddy use the Showdown most of the time as he had never used a locater of any type before and it was easier for him to read.  I was happy using my flasher but I'm used to reading it. 
If I was starting from scratch I'd go with the Showdown no questions asked. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:38 PM »
I own 2 flashers and purchased a Showdown about a month ago.  I took them all ice fishing in Northern Wisconsin this past weekend and they all work; however, I think the Showdown is a better unit:  It's cheaper, much more quiet, the battery last a LOT longer, and it's easy to operate & read.  I also thought it did a better job of picking up fish & small jigs.  I let my buddy use the Showdown most of the time as he had never used a locater of any type before and it was easier for him to read.  I was happy using my flasher but I'm used to reading it. 
If I was starting from scratch I'd go with the Showdown no questions asked. 

I'm a flasher user but i have a question with the showdown. can you read bottom content such as weeds, gravel, mud, etc as you can with a vex?

Offline xeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2009, 12:13 AM »
sometimes when i have trouble sleeping at night and i am to excited for the morning bite i turn on my fl 12 and let it hummmm me to sleep.

Thats hilarious.

Offline KTapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:30 AM »
I just went to Vexilars website.. And until now I thought these things were complicated to use!  They are actually fairly simple to use  :woot:  I was thinking about purchasing some sort of fish finder and was leaning towards the showdown but after seeing that the flashers are not hard to read I would probably get one if it wasn't for the price!

I mainly fish in water that is under 10 ft deep (Lake st clair MI.) I'm not sure what type one to buy for shallow conditions??  Can anybody chime in with pros and cons of each for shallow water usage?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are going to be fishing shallower lakes I would go with the fl-8 or fl-12 because I don't think that you would need the bottom zoom feature if most of the lakes that you are fishing are shallow.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2009, 07:48 AM »
I'm a flasher user but i have a question with the showdown. can you read bottom content such as weeds, gravel, mud, etc as you can with a vex?

You bet.  You don't get the variation in color like with a Vex or Marcum, you get variation in grey scale and the thickness of the lines gives you an idea of the bottom structure. 

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:42 PM »
If you are going to be fishing shallower lakes I would go with the fl-8 or fl-12 because I don't think that you would need the bottom zoom feature if most of the lakes that you are fishing are shallow.
I'd still go with the Showdown.  You can turn the bottom zoom off if you don't want to use it. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 11, 2009, 06:11 PM »
I'd still go with the Showdown.  You can turn the bottom zoom off if you don't want to use it. 
You can with a vex also.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2009, 06:30 PM »
with the showdown on zoom feature in less than 10 fow a minnow looks like a shark >:D >:D if your only fishing shallow waters do your self a favor and get a cam because you are only seeing a 1.5 foot circle of the lake..... i wish i woulda bought the X67 c  ice machine so i can put it in my boat... but ohh well.. any one have any ideas on how to mount a showdown ducer on a boat?? i was thinking maby a piece of pvc tubing, siliconing plexi glass on the bottom or sometihng..

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 11, 2009, 07:51 PM »
How is a flasher hard to use? i've seen little kids using them. And as far as battery life, you can get 20 hours on a battery.
yup its true my 4yr old son has no problems he would be happy to teach the rest of you jk

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.