Author Topic: Average number per trip?  (Read 9015 times)

Offline LotsToLearn

• IceShanty Rookie
Average number per trip?
« on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:50 AM »
Im somewhat new to bluegill specific fishing, and am curious about the average amount that ya’ll will catch on any given day. At my spot, i can average about 40+ in 3 hours. Not much size. What is a good average day for you?

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Average number per trip?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:41 AM »
Usually none to few. I’m not really a numbers guy though, I look for size. As for average, on any given day.......maybe a dozen in the 2-3 hours I’m out. Usually during non-peak feeding windows on heavily pressured smaller waters. When the bites on it’s a different story though. Definitely more slow days than fast days. Pretty much comes down to how much I want to move around and find them. Sometimes it’s nice to just get on the ice for a minute.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Not sure. Once I count the six or eight for a meal I don’t really count the ones that go back down the hole.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Not sure. Once I count the six or eight for a meal I don’t really count the ones that go back down the hole.
Keep it safe! JDL

X2

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:00 PM »
hard to put a solid number on it, but my good days usually number around 50-100 fish per day (right lake, right location, right conditions).

this year has been tough though. my go-to lake has been heavily pressured to the point that the gills are extremely scattered and spooky, my backup lake got drawn too far down for irrigation last summer and is now about 2 feet deep (100% winterkill is probable), and third best option is snowed in, no access. the bluegills i've managed to catch have been few and far between, though the size hasn't been too bad (averaging 8 inches). this is the first year that i've caught more largemouth through the ice than bluegills.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2019, 04:07 PM »
When I want bluegill, there is a specific pond I like to go to, and it has some really nice numbers of quality fish.  I call a good day there about 15-25 fish in 3-4 hours.  I'm more of a quality than quantity type of guy.  10 chunks satisfies a lot more than 50 mediums.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2019, 04:26 PM »
I limit myself to 25. I can clean them in an hour and it makes two meals (for 2).

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:40 PM »
Some spots 10-15 fish, others 2-300 in a couple hours. Average, probably 50-75 fish in a couple hours. Bluegill are something I target when I want to catch a bunch of fish, but I HATE catching dinks so I won't sit in a dink hole... I also hate cleaning them so rarely keep any. I'd rather clean 100 crappies than 10 bluegill (not that id ever keep that many).
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Owentstr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:27 AM »
"I limit myself to 25. I can clean them in an hour and it makes two meals (for 2)."

Now, that's a good record.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.