The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Buying a potable ice shelter  (Read 2332 times)

Blaner1999

Buying a potable ice shelter
« on: Dec 22, 2004, 09:52 PM »
I have been thinking of buying a new ice shelter, in particular an Eskimo ice shelter. A friend of mine told me he heard that the canvas did not breathe on an Eskimo shelter and they  have problems with condensation build-up on the inside which then melts and is constantly dripping on the people inside. I am thinking of buying an Eskimo Pro ice shelter. Another option I am exploring is a Shappel 4000 ice shelter or a Shappel 4000DX. Does anyone Have any opinions on these three ice shelters.  ???

Offline panfishpmp

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buying a potable ice shelter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2004, 12:25 PM »
I have only owned Clam Corp houses. I have never had one problem with them and any thing I broke (clamps, connectors) I just called and they send new no charge and quick no questions. You might pay a little more but in my opion the quality is much better. I have had friends and family buy other types of houses only to either sell it or b***h every time we went out about how it was tougher to set up, or im getting rained on in here. Just my two cents, not trying to indorse anything either :) I just like there houses. I have a 6800 and a scout. GL

Kevin Kiffmeyer
Kevin Kiffmeyer

Offline Tholl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Personally I dotn like the eskimos. They are very cheap quality in my mind. The Fish Trap Yukon is the way to go! Way better wuality, has circular poles instead of the flat ones which easily dent and crack! Same price for all I know. I would pick it up at cabelas for $429.
-Tholl

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2004, 02:20 PM »
I have been thinking of buying a new ice shelter, in particular an Eskimo ice shelter. A friend of mine told me he heard that the canvas did not breathe on an Eskimo shelter and they  have problems with condensation build-up on the inside which then melts and is constantly dripping on the people inside. I am thinking of buying an Eskimo Pro ice shelter. Another option I am exploring is a Shappel 4000 ice shelter or a Shappel 4000DX. Does anyone Have any opinions on these three ice shelters.  ???

I have a fish trap pro and get rained on some too.  My guess is it comes from running the propane heater inside of it.  If you go the Shapell route go with the DX.  Based on personal experience the S4000 is no wheres near as nice as the DX.  Setup on the S4000 can be a pain with 1 guy. 
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Jiggathon

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2005, 01:02 AM »
I have owned a Frabill three man flip and i love it. Nothing has ever broken its got plenty of room and the seats are a little different thatn the others they swivel and are very comfortable. If i was you i would seriously look at the Frabill line there a nice choice, and thats just my two cents! Hope that helps

Offline MT Net

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleyes on ice, that's nice!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2005, 07:35 AM »
I have he Fishtrap Voyager, I really like it, very roomy.   Sometimes I make a fresh pot of coffee inside on the Mr. Heater/Cooker.  I just kept the door tied up to keep the condensation out.

I like the bench seat on the Eskimo campaired to the two small bucket type seats on the Fishtrap, (which are comfortable).  But I thought the sled on the Fishtrap to be much better.  The Otter sled is even more better, but you really pay for those Otters.

Good luck.   :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.