Author Topic: First skunk in three years at the Mile  (Read 823 times)

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
First skunk in three years at the Mile
« on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Had a line in by 6:45 AM. Saw one small pike about an hour later then at 8 AM about a 36" pike nailed by trout jig. Because I use light tackle I could only set the hook so well. I played it for
over twenty minutes and it was taking my fly reel down to the backing. The fish decided to come back toward me and I lost it within seconds. One to one gearing on the reel I couldn't reel fast
enough to keep it taught. Lot of fun though. Had three hits from trout and I was always doing something else and missed them. 12:05 PM had a flag on a tip-up. It wasn't spinning. I started
taking in line until I felt some resistance and set the hook. It didn't budge. I then started to pull in line and the leader broke. My bad. I knew I needed to replace the leader because it was getting
more kinked. Worked alright on small pike but live and learn. Beautiful Christmas day! No wind to speak of. Water clarity about the same as last week. I can see the bottom at 8' but not at 12'.
Can still see a lure at 12' though. Happy New Year!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: First skunk in three years at the Mile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013, 11:56 AM »
thanks for the report Mark - makes me wonder "how long can/will this tough love last from the slimy brethern and sisterhood?"

spoke w/Mark from DOW/F&W @ The Mile - he wasn't even aware of the water conditions and had nothing to offer and made it known he was obviously dis-interested in figuring it out   

license holder & taxpayer money hard at work!   nice,right?
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Not so skunked... rookie errors by a veteran.   ;)   You had the chances. Had to be fun fightin that toothy critter that long. Such a crazy year.

Glad you got out and wish I could've joined you!!!

"B"

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:21 PM »
It has been a tough year.  Why the fly reel?  Just trying to avoid the spinning action of the lures?  Interesting thought and may be worth trying (for trout).

I was out today and had nothing in shallow then went out over the channel near Lazy Boy and had five on within 30 minutes (only two landed, 2 lost at the hole!??).  All were at the bottom in 29FOW and took Radical Glow pink tube jigs, deadsticked and tipped with waxies.  I only saw one more fish the rest of the day (until 4PM).  Yikes!  Maybe I'll give the Mile a rest for a week.

I sure would have loved to fight a pike for 20 minutes.  It's been a while since I've had a decent one through the ice.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Had three hits from trout and I was always doing something else and missed them.

With this year's hit pattern of 1-3x small strikes, you darn near need to have your hand on both rods at all times...

glad you at least had some action, that's more than I saw some experience yesterday - lots of folks walking off earlier than hoped for.

yesterday I missed a few light hits, I landed 6x bows (catch & release except for 2x that swallowed the hook - 16.5" and 15.75")
ice was 17"
Owe No Man Anything...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.