Author Topic: Question on Jackson and Sterling lakes  (Read 788 times)

Offline Nhurley

• IceShanty Rookie
Question on Jackson and Sterling lakes
« on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Was looking for some decent perch/crappie (and if I'm lucky walleye) fishing and was wondering if Jackson Lake State Park and/or North Sterling State Park were worth trying? According to DOW they have all three species but wasn't sure if they were worth the trip. I live in Johnstown and was just curios if I could find any close to home! I'm always open for fishing buddies if you wanna go let me know!

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Question on Jackson and Sterling lakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:29 PM »
If you want close to home action for those species, try Lake Loveland or Boyd Lake.  Both have nice quantities of all three with the opportunity for a larger fish.  Can't personally comment on the lakes you requested info on.

Offline Nhurley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Thanks!  I haven't tried Loveland yet, I iced Boyd last year and couldn't keep the stocker trout off the line, not a bad problem. This year I'll have to give it another go, move around more and find em!

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:01 PM »
I think Boyd will be the same this year with stockers.  They put in a bunch this fall.  I agree, not the worst problem I ever had fishing.  Go far north or far south on the lake and you may have a few less trout biting. 

Lake Loveland can be hot or cold as with any other lake.  Some nice perch and crappie are usually caught there.  The northwest bay should be good this year as the lake is full of water; it also freezes first.  Couple of good spots on the south side by the highway also.  You will see people almost always directly north from the stoplight on Hwy 34 - there is some pipe structure out there.  The inlet area along the highway may be better this year due to a lot of logs, limbs, etc. washing into the lake from the flood waters, providing some structure.

Get out on one of them and move around a lot and watch others' locations.  There are always some "regulars" who fish Boyd almost daily.  Usually retired guys who know the lake pretty well; they can help with advice. The early morning breakfast group usually hangs out in the marina area and seem to catch fish pretty consistently.

Offline Nhurley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:15 PM »
I think Boyd will be the same this year with stockers.  They put in a bunch this fall.  I agree, not the worst problem I ever had fishing.  Go far north or far south on the lake and you may have a few less trout biting. 

Lake Loveland can be hot or cold as with any other lake.  Some nice perch and crappie are usually caught there.  The northwest bay should be good this year as the lake is full of water; it also freezes first.  Couple of good spots on the south side by the highway also.  You will see people almost always directly north from the stoplight on Hwy 34 - there is some pipe structure out there.  The inlet area along the highway may be better this year due to a lot of logs, limbs, etc. washing into the lake from the flood waters, providing some structure.

Get out on one of them and move around a lot and watch others' locations.  There are always some "regulars" who fish Boyd almost daily.  Usually retired guys who know the lake pretty well; they can help with advice. The early morning breakfast group usually hangs out in the marina area and seem to catch fish pretty consistently.

Awesome thanks! I'm sure I'll be out at both punching holes!

Offline Fisherguyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2013, 12:29 PM »
NHurley, I too live in Johnstown and I am looking for Walleye, Perch and Crappie this year.  Let me know if you want to go to Boyd with me and see if we can catch a few.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.