Author Topic: Anyone find any ice?  (Read 6277 times)

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone find any ice?
« on: Nov 21, 2013, 07:59 PM »
I'm sure most of the high mountain lakes are capped.   HAs anyone herd if Jefferson is fish able, terry all , antero,?  Saw a report on fish explorer that shadow mountain is icing over,  bummer that fish explorer charges now.
fish all day drink all night....!!!!!!!

Offline evschev

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anyone find any ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:41 PM »
Sounds like john, cowdrey, and east Delaney are 3/4 capped. Also saw a report of someone fishing on hard water at Dillon.

Offline evschev

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:42 PM »
Antero is reported to be mostly capped as well.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:22 AM »
Sounds like john, cowdrey, and east Delaney are 3/4 capped. Also saw a report of someone fishing on hard water at Dillon.
Years ago I iced Dillon at the inlet with a friend. We were Snagging Kokes through the ice. 50 Yards away there was open water. The ice was 3". I'm too fat and too old to do that again.
<===Lefty===

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2013, 08:40 AM »
We will be loading up the truck with both ice stuff and a couple long rods for open water.   SP on sat.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:26 AM »
We will be loading up the truck with both ice stuff and a couple long rods for open water.   SP on sat.

I was really expecting you to skate out to Antero today (Friday), find an ice ledge and rake 'em in.  I'll be up there too  -  gotta see if my new Tri-Beam transducer is better or sucks. ;) 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2013, 10:22 AM »
I was really expecting you to skate out to Antero today (Friday), find an ice ledge and rake 'em in.  I'll be up there too  -  gotta see if my new Tri-Beam transducer is better or sucks. ;)

Just had to work today, may as well save days for the next few weeks for those killer early ice Wednesdays up there! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas I think with this cold snap by mid next week antero will be getting some holes drilled in it.

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Anyone venture out on antero today if so I'm heading that way in the am.

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Went to st. Mary's today a solid 10in of good ice with 8 in of fresh snow on it.   A bunch of small bro likes and tigger trout.   Atomic ants and shrimp os tipped with waxies.

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2013, 04:56 PM »
Brookies lol

Offline H the yeti

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2013, 06:32 PM »
Fished antero today. Plan on getting wet if you go. 1-2" of crap ice with 1" of water on top with another inch of slush floating on that.  Managed 2 rainbows. One was around 16, the other was smaller. Busted through 3 times. Pretty much set the jaw jacker and run back to shore the wait. Tried to jig for a little bit but the ice would sag after 10 or so minutes @ each hole.

Imo not worth the trip yet. Definitely have a rope and one other person with you if you try. Could not get out on the north shore @ all.

Yay4u

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Caught grayling today on 5"+

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Tarryall had 5" on the west end (north shore) by the inlet, 2-3" in most other places.  It has a full lid on it.  I watched this guy walk out 50 yards by himself with no spud bar on the east/north shore.  I couldn't believe it.  We wanted to fish deeper water so my buddy and I moved halfway towards the guy.  When we unloaded again and got down to the shoreline I busted through up to my waist before I could use my spud bar (like 3 steps and in I went).  Thank goodness for synthetic material!  My pants and long johns were dry within 30-40 minutes and I was out fishing in my hut - with sneakers - in less than an hour.  The new Chevy Sierras have excellent heaters!!. 

I tried to drown some waterdogs for pike (didn't see any) while my buddy was busy landing slimers along with a couple decent ones (13-14"). 

Despite the wetness it was a good first trip and the weather was perfect (18 degrees and no wind).  If getting wet on the first trip is a good omen, then 2013/2014 looks to be epic for me!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Caught grayling today on 5"+
I know where you were! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2013, 07:57 PM »
I know where you were! ;)

You know they put some of those tiger trout in there that everyone's drooling over.  DOW actually walked down to the lake today and checked me.  Grayling are getting bigger and bigger each year. Pulled a few out that were just over 14".

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Bigger is better.  Maybe a record someday?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Malty Falcon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2013, 11:21 AM »
Chalk Lake in Chaffee County has a good cap on it.  Just don't drill on the hockey's rink, those guys spent a long time shoveling a foot of snow off it yesterday.

Cottonwood Lake on Cottonwood Pass is also fishable, with over 5 inches of clear ice  on the south side. 
Fishin' is better with a Malty Beverage!

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Went out solo & checked several lakes early this morning and some are very close-I found one with 4" of decent ice and managed four rainbows-it was pretty slow but great to be back out on the ice-I got sent to a project in Texas right after new years and got cheated out of the best part of last season. The inline reel works fantastic  & the new tungsten jig accounted for two fish so I'm ready for more-I know what I'll be doin' Black Friday. The fish were decent size & very colorful. I had the lake to myself-very peaceful. Here's a pic of the 1st of this season.

" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2013, 08:56 PM »
ByteN2it,

Good work getting on the ice and nice pics.  I was on yesterday.  I sent you a PM but forgot to put a subject on it.

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2013, 01:24 PM »
BitIn2It,

Nice to know there is ice up there.  I have two of the same EC inlines to try out.  How thik is the ice?  I might try to get my son out for some ice fishing.

s

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Took the shack out for the first time of the year yesterday. Managed a lot of Rainbows but nothing too big.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Nice, Mitch -- how much ice did you have there?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Where these shacks were setup in the AM were on 4-5" but we moved around 11am to deeper water and found ourselves on an inconsistent 3". One hole I drilled was only 1.5" so I backed up quickly haha

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2013, 05:05 PM »
That's where we fished on Saturday.  Not too crazy about fishing over 3FOW but there sure were a lot of fish coming through - some were 17".

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Terryhole  ;D , anyone check out south side of the Mile yet, doubtful for this weekend but hoping.

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2013, 04:48 PM »
The mile Just got a Cap on it on  Thanksgiving going up tomorrow to check it out and see what we have for thickness up there

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Hey fellas, I've been out of the game for a number of years :'( but ready to do some ice fishing again. Does anyone know if Red Feathers is fishable yet? I'd like to take my 8 year old daughter up to catch her first fish through the ice :) Anyone from up N been by Chambers yet?

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Ran by Dowdy & West today.  No one on West, a few holes drilled close to the parking lot.  Guessing it's not over 4" or there would have been more holes further out.  Didn't drill.  Went by Dowdy.  One group out.  They said it was 2.5 - 3".  Next to shore looked thin.  Should be good next weekend. Saw a couple of guys on Chambers from the road.  I'm guessing that's the inlet area.  I would say the main lake is a week or two away from being able to reach laker depths.  I could be wrong though.  It might be good.  Fishing was slow on the other Cameron Pass lakes.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Ran by Dowdy & West today.  No one on West, a few holes drilled close to the parking lot.  Guessing it's not over 4" or there would have been more holes further out.  Didn't drill.  Went by Dowdy.  One group out.  They said it was 2.5 - 3".  Next to shore looked thin.  Should be good next weekend. Saw a couple of guys on Chambers from the road.  I'm guessing that's the inlet area.  I would say the main lake is a week or two away from being able to reach laker depths.  I could be wrong though.  It might be good.  Fishing was slow on the other Cameron Pass lakes.

I always go past Chambers and into N. Park.  Have you done well at Chambers?  What do you use there?
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.