Author Topic: trout magnet  (Read 7106 times)

Offline pafisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
trout magnet
« on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:01 PM »
has anyone used trout magnet jigs for ice fishing, was thinking they would work for bluegills and crappies

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: trout magnet
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:39 PM »
the only problem is light weight, shallow water would be fine. worked for me but i like a heavier jig. why i use tungsten
you could try the crappie magnets they are little bigger.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Glow trout magnets work great here for early season crappie but later we have to downsize.

Offline prefect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:13 AM »
They are my go-to panfish bait all year round, open water and through the ice.

The hot colour for me has been purple with blue flake, kind of like a junebug colour. I don't seem to have a problem fishing them in the 10-20 foot range. With 2-4 pound fluoro, they sink quite well.

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Yes I use them through the ice but I modified them for ice jigs by cutting down the body to just one or two segments and just one tail. They work good for me

Offline Ak4734

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:59 PM »
They do work well tipped with spikes. I actually caught a decent pickeral on one last winter. Thought I had a record crappie on. They are pretty light though so I only use them in shallow water.

Offline bassmasternate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:14 AM »
I just bought a pack of trout magnets to give a try through the ice. I think downsizing them by cutting down on the body would help. Hoping that they work out. I might go buy the variety pack and try different colors to see which works best.

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:36 PM »
Last year I finally convinced my dad to try plastics and he has been convinced.  He ties a crappie magnet on high and a trout magnet a foot below and does well.  I myself am more of a tungsten and micro nuggie guy myself.  To each his own so I would try and experiment with different sizes, shapes and colors.  Having electronics will greatly accelerate your learning process with plastics.

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2015, 08:31 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I like the idea of 2 jigs. I'm going to try with a Trout Magnet above and a tungsten jig jig on the bottom. It would get the it down a lot faster.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Good idea. i'll give it a shot this season.

Offline jojomack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:56 AM »
I love them. I fish a little deeper for macs. takes a while to get down, but totally worth it!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:42 AM »
welcome jojomack!
don't be afraid to start your own topics here.
never tried them thru ice. seems like they would be much too light for my style and not hang like i would want them to, but they are a go to jig in open water using charlie brewers crappie slider plastics in the short length and fish them super slack line. they catch all kinds of different fish. the slower you crank them the better they work. being 1/16oz i use 2 pound test on a 9 foot rod to try to get any decent casting distance.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:40 PM »
i use the tails on the bro's bloodworm jigheads when the fish are short-striking the long-tailed plastics i normally favor. the dart heads are a bit light for most of my fishing, but they get some use in shallow, clear water.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:02 AM »
has anyone used trout magnet jigs for ice fishing, was thinking they would work for bluegills and crappies
1 of the reps gave me some to try and I did really well on the gills

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.