Author Topic: Flashers  (Read 2152 times)

Offline viajoe25

• IceShanty Rookie
Flashers
« on: Nov 30, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Hey guys,
Relatively new to ice fishing but last year I really got into it,  I'm looking into a flasher as i seen a few guys on the ice with them (this topic may be covered in another post, i just haven't went all the way through them yet), and just curious as if the old saying "you get what you pay for" come into play with these things? I see they range from a couple Hundred to several hundred dollars.  Any info would be great!

Thanks, 

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flashers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:01 PM »
theres a storm a brewing!!!!! bought a Marcum lx-3 and that has all the options I needed. moveable zoom did it for me. all the major brands will have their ups and downs and there are endless , I mean endless posts about what is better. the bottom line is that all the major brands have good machines. find the best deal with  the options you want and don't look back.
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:16 PM »
get a cheap working used one for less than 60.00      even the oldest of flashers will show depth and fish. If it doesn't show your jig you can add a big sinker,washer a foot or 2 from your jig and know your 1-2 feet deeper than the flasher shows your big sinker,washer or whatever you use.   

there are literally thousands out there for sale   

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Pay for the Marcum LX-7 and never have to buy another unit

Offline viajoe25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2015, 10:31 AM »
Thanks for the info guys! See what i can get my hands on this week and hopefully try it out this weekend

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Pay for the Marcum LX-7 and never have to buy another unit

X2 on that crappielover. In fact I think ours are cousins  ;) That was a great deal
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Now wait wait wait .....Let me give my two cents viajoe25.....I'm a vexlar man...I have the FLX28.....just because I can. But you can pick up a FL-18 at Scheels for $379. It will do everything my FLX28 will do.....well not everything.....but you will be able to catch just as many fish as I can. I have a couple of 18's that I take for my boy's and friends. Let me know if you want to go with us and try one before you make the plunge. BTW I had a Marcum and I sold it so I could fish with my buddies with vexlars. That being said the Marcum is about 2500 watts the vex's are 400 watts. Both brands are excellent Vexlars are just my preference. Tight LInes

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2015, 04:14 PM »
I'm a graph guy! I've owned multiple flashers from Vexilars to Marcums. Marcums will definitely blow away any Vexilar or Humminbird with 2500 watts! I just got tired of all the flashing lights and constant humm. I've since switched to a Lowrance that I use on the water and converted to be used on the ice. It's a few years old but it kicks but and it does have a flasher setting like most newer lcds. I would look at the Lowrance Ice machine that can be used on open water as well or a Marcum LX5! There's sum good deals on Ksl as of recent if you are looking to save some money! My 2 cents

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:51 PM »
I'm a graph guy! I've owned multiple flashers from Vexilars to Marcums. Marcums will definitely blow away any Vexilar or Humminbird with 2500 watts! I just got tired of all the flashing lights and constant humm. I've since switched to a Lowrance that I use on the water and converted to be used on the ice. It's a few years old but its  kickass and it does have a flasher setting like most newer lcds. I would look at the Lowrance Ice machine that can be used on open water as well or a Marcum LX5! There's sum good deals on Ksl as of recent if you are looking to save some money! My 2 cents

the lx 6,7,and 9 don't hum plus they have a graph on them as well

Offline ifishinxs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:21 PM »
I just picked up a Marcum LX3tc....OMG!...best ice fishing investment ever!...It was fun being able to set the hook on a fish that hadnt even pulled the rod tip down..Or watching a trout follow the Jig down.
No sure how I fished the ice without one for all these years..probably doubled my catch ratio

Offline 400bullelk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2015, 09:40 PM »
I was looking for a new flasher, came personal preference, I have always had good luck with Marcum.

Offline jvfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2015, 11:05 AM »
I wouldn't know how to fish without the comforting hum from my Vex.   You really can't go wrong unless you go fishing blind... My battery dies, I leave.

Offline ICEorBUST#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2015, 12:22 PM »
Hey I hear ya . I was blind now I see . I'm using deeper the Bluetooth fish finder with vexalaur built in. I used it at solder creek yesterday and I love it . I could v set it up in flasher mode and set my bait and every v one else easily to the correct height and switch it to wide beam just like a standard fish finder with a tone put my phone in my pocket turned off and could still hear the tones when fish came close by. I could see them long before they where at my bait . hence the reason I caught more fish then anyone else . I'd say be ready jig a little and stop then there's my hit every time. Some day I hope to get 2 units so I can see them coming from farther away. Cause you can tie 2 units through bluetooth to 1 device. Tell s you temp of water. I haven't seen any other flasher that could do both the things as switch from a standard finder and back . I plan on using during the summer. With its casting. Loop . or with my pontoon boat and probably could use it on a float tube.

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2015, 09:06 AM »
I received a Humminbird Ice 45 for Christmas, ( I was a very good boy ) This unit is my intro into flashers and I couldn't be happier. It has a large and back lit dial that is easy to read. Also only three colors to work with. This is a great unit for us old guys caught somewhere between the 19th and 20th Century's . The instruction book was the thinnest of the bunch. Tried it out last Monday and don't know how I ever got along without it.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2015, 11:43 AM »
So, when are you going to join the 21st century??

<{{{{{ °>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Not going to, not real happy with what I see .....

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Not going to, not real happy with what I see .....
Now ain't that the truth. ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2016, 07:08 PM »
Lowrance 5 chirp with an ice pak just a personal preference can split screen flasher and graph! I prefer the graph have seen flashers just don't "get it" must be the youth in me gotta have my screen time the flashing lights just don't entertain me the same

Offline EPfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:09 PM »
I purchased a Deeper fish finder and have loved the versatility of it. I can use it as a flasher, put it on a boat and go to boat mode, or just fish a lake or river with it. Great all around machine.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:46 PM »
I received a Humminbird Ice 45 for Christmas, ( I was a very good boy ) This unit is my intro into flashers and I couldn't be happier. It has a large and back lit dial that is easy to read. Also only three colors to work with. This is a great unit for us old guys caught somewhere between the 19th and 20th Century's . The instruction book was the thinnest of the bunch. Tried it out last Monday and don't know how I ever got along without it.
I had a 55 and sold it. After selling, I felt like I shot my dog and bought another 55. Never will I make that mistake again. You will love the 45.

Offline Calestus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:32 PM »
On the farther end of crazy, I use a raymarine dragonfly. Works great in the winter for ice and in the summer I slap it on my kayak.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.