Author Topic: Favorite set up  (Read 700 times)

Offline The Don Mega

• IceShanty Rookie
Favorite set up
« on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I am curious about everyone's favorite set up, how do you prefer to ice fish? And for what species?

This year, I've been having success with a 1/64 maniac fluorescent jig head with a chartreuse, orange or pink ratso tail.  I usually tip it with a wax worm.  I am after trout and this seems to do the job.  I attach it to a Swedish pimple and bout 8" of leader.  I set that in a jaw jacker and then watch my kids reel them in.

Offline roasterx

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Favorite set up
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Where do you get your gear?

Offline The Don Mega

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:49 PM »
This is only my second year at ice fishing.  I've picked up gear from Fish Tech Outfitter, Sportsmans Warehouse and Scheels.  Sportsmans seems to have the best price, fish tech has a great selection.

Offline troutking90

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:59 PM »
pk  fluter fish and big eye jig love and a pink pimp with shrimp and wax worms
I live for hardware 365 days a year

Offline Harlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:48 PM »
This year I've had decent success dead sticking big tube jigs. I tip them with a shiner head or tail, or rotten nightcrawler  ;D I use them in sizes 2.5 inch, sometimes 3.5 inch. I used a 3.5 inch tipped with crawler to catch a big tiger trout that was almost 26 inches. You don't need to jig tube jigs, just keep them still and trout will come up and just slam them like you wouldn't believe. But, they don't work well in some places..Deer Creek I had more success with a flashy crystal hair jig or cut'r, and it had to be moving.

I'll also have a second pole out with a nightcrawler threaded up the line and a single split shot about 12 inches above that. That rig will usually save the day, and prevent me from getting a skunk if things are slow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.