New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Planning a trip to Lake George, aka the King  (Read 2499 times)

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Planning a trip to Lake George, aka the King
« on: Nov 17, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Hey everybody,

I've been talking about going out to Lake George for too long, and it's about time that I actually get there.  I WILL make it there this winter.  My only problem is that I am clueless about that area, so I could use some of your help.

First, I am going to fish.  That is all I care about.  I would like to find some lakers and then go on a bit of a perch search.  However, my wife has also expressed an interest in going, as well.  But she doens't want to fish, she wants to shop (I bet you didn't see that one coming).  So, does the Lake George area have anything that could keep her interested for a full day while I am out on the ice?  If there is something like Lake Placid, with all of those little specialty shops in the "touristy" area, that would be great.  If not, then I will be going it alone.  If there is something there for her to do, are there any reasonable hotels/motels/b&b's close by, because I am sure that she will also want to stay over.  And by reasonable, I think that the pictures of the Sagamore (Sp?) that slipbob had posted is a bit out of our price range.

Also, I'm thinking about early to mid February, unless anyone can give me a better time to plan for.

Thanks in advance for helping with my "have vex, will travel" plans.

Tom

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
Re: Planning a trip to Lake George, aka the King
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2005, 12:31 PM »
The wife will be enthralled with the "Million Dollar Mile", just south of LG on Rt 9.  It is loaded with a bunch of outlets from Ralph Laure to Timberland, housewares to sporting goods, you name it.  I bet she could spend AT LEAST a day occupied by all the retail possibilities.  It's a shoppers crackhouse.  It may even give you an extra day to fish.  If you need help finding accommodations, I can probably help, I live about 20 minutes south of the lake. Take care and plan the trip.  See you on the ice!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2005, 01:54 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys.  I was just looking at some of the tourism info for lake George - I had no idea that it was that commercialized.  Looks like the wife will have a perty good time there.

Slipbob - thanks for the offer.  I may take you up on it, since I am a walker.  I'm not afraid to go the distance though, as I have still been out about 3 miles (one way) on Oneida with just my two feet guiding me.

I'm sure I'll be looking for more info once I get the accomodations down.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2005, 10:05 AM »
tommyboy

you wont regret a trip to the king for sure  IMHO its one of the pretties lakes in the US :)  I have fished a lot of them too  ;)

I think the new indoor water park/hotel will be open in lake george this season also.. thats a good idea for all you ice addicts with families  put them up in the hotel and give them some money to spend in the outlets :)  its always good for a 3 or 4 day weekend... just be prepared for the financial impact when ya get home... things tend to be a bit pricey up there .

There are plenty of baitshops around too  :)

Offline hubbinsd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2005, 01:58 PM »
Does anyone have any tips for fishing lakers through the ice in Lake George or Moreau?  I'm pretty new to hardwater fishing and have gotten totally addicted pulling panfish and pickerel out on Saratoga.  I'd like to try some trout fishing but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at as far as gear, bait, and depth...any tips would be appreciated!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2005, 03:03 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=42.0

click that link it will take ya to the trout forum here in the ice shanty, there is a ton of good info there on Lake Trout
and Lake George in particular

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Well, I've been doing my research and getting the plans set.  It looks like it's going to be the weekend of February 11 and 12th.  I don't have any specifics as of yet, but they will be coming soon.

I am still amazed at how many options are available out there...  I always pictured Lake George as some quaint little town with a couple bed & breakfast's to stay at.  With all the selection available, I think I actually may need to ask the wife for some input.

It's still more than 2 months away but I am getting pretty excited.  Thanks again for your help, and I'm sure I will have some more questions as it gets closer (like whether or not those Lake George lakers are as fond of 4" white tube jigs as those on Owasco??)...

Tom

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2005, 10:08 AM »
The southern part of Lake George has always been alot more geared to the tourist industry and less on the quiet side. However the winter is truly the best time to visit if you want to avoid crowds. If you are looking for the truly "quiet" part of Lake Geroge you need to head north towards Hague or Ticonderoga. But wherever you stay you should have a good time.

NAD42

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2005, 08:21 PM »
Come on up in mid/late January, first ice, if ya can handle it, is unreal for laker action. You'll jig one up in 2 minutes. Believe me, I wouldn't trek out there on 3-4'' if it wasn't. If you're weak at heart, wait a few weeks til there's more ice and the pressure breaks are more defined. The KING, is also famous for nasty pressure breaks. Anyone care to second this?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2005, 08:36 PM »
The KING, is also famous for nasty pressure breaks. Anyone care to second this?

LOL.  I like the ones come first ice that spring up out of no where.  Then again there is the march ones which are usually nice and open when you want to come off the ice in the afternoon :)

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2005, 04:00 PM »
As far as catching perch on LAke George .. what section of the lake would you choose .. closer to the southern end (village of LAke George), more towards or in Northwest bay, or further north towards HAgue and Ti ?

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:26 PM »
NORTHWEST BAY and HUDDLE BAY all the way, i fish those two bays almost exclusively they are the best for perch on lake george.
Jason

NAD42

« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:58 PM »
Harris ain't too shabby either...if you're a perch jigger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.