New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Steelhead in the Salmon river  (Read 766 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Steelhead in the Salmon river
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:40 PM »
The past few years my brother has been fly fishing the salmon river in the fall and sending me pics that of fish I only dream about catching on the fly. He is not an ice fisherman (yet  ;D ) but I am looking to make a trip back east to visit and would love to get after some of these big fish on the hardwater. If anyone could point me towards a thread that has information regarding landing some big fish through the ice it would be greatly appreciated. Living in Montana, where everything freezes, I do not know if Lake Ontario gets fishable ice near the Salmon river outlet, if the Salmon River Reservoir is fishable and holds any of the big fish, or where else I might look into going. I started to look at the fishing reports and conditions threads for NY but there are so many threads I did not even know how to start.

Any and all input, from locations, time of year, special gear, or otherwise is much appreciated.

Stay safe everyone and I hope you can start getting onto the ice soon. I'm headed up to some mountain lakes for my first ice of the season this weekend.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
Re: Steelhead in the Salmon river
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 04:49 PM »
I've caught steelies ice fishing on Henderson harbor fishing for crappies and sunnies!! Felt like a pannie bite until all my line went screaming off my reel!! Also caught steelies and browns in a marina on the Oswego river( Admiral Woolsey's I think) again jigging for perch and line just goes screaming!!

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 12:32 PM »
There aren't any salmon or steelhead in the reservoir (lower or upper).  There's a dam there with no ladder or pathway for the fish.  I know there are walleye and various trout species in the upper res, but I'm not sure about ice fishing since the water level fluctuates. 

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:18 AM »
If you want to get steelhead in the winter why not just fish the salmon river? The fish are in the river all winter. We do quite well catching them with a fly rod.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I've done the morning on the ice on Oneida and the afternoon wading in the river a few times. Fresh walleyes and perch followed by some screaming drags makes for a nice day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.