New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice rod builders  (Read 688 times)

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice rod builders
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 05:58 AM »
I have been building a few soft water rods and now I figure I will build some ice rods before we get into the hardwater season.  Just wondering if anyone else out there builds. If you do, I would like to know what blanks you think are good for walleye, perch and gills.  Action, length,solid or tubular graphite, glass. There are even some flat tipped blanks out there that I would like some info on.  Thanks.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice rod builders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:21 AM »
I get all my rods custom built by Thorne Brothers. Absolutely love the blanks and the stealth guides and handles.

They have both glass and graphite in a bunch of different actions. All mine are graphite because I fish more by feel but I do have one with an integrated spring bobber.

They also sell the blanks separately if you want to build your own.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:33 PM »
Don't know much about building, but I purchased my first tickle stick last season with that "flat tip" and for my money that's the way to go

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Are you on Facebook?  Also is a subforum on here for rod building

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01:21 AM »
Store bought is fine, no need (for me at least) to pay a few extra bucks to be able to say some its custom.  At the end of the day, it doesnt matter if Larry down the street made my ice fishing rod or if the Mario brothers custom built it.  They fish the same.  ;D

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:48 AM »
That’s true about buying a rod or having one custom built.  It definitely is not chap but I like to use rods built by me just because I enjoy doing it.  I did not know that Thorne brothers sold rod blanks. Thanks, I’ll give them a call.  They are a bigger company now and have suppliers make blanks specifically to their specs.  The flat tipped rods are nice. I like them for perch. I will probably build a few in the 18-20” range.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:55 AM »
I hear you, I had rods built for stripers but because I wanted specific guides and reel seat location, stuff like that.  Good luck with your builds. 

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:51 PM »
I’ve built about 10 ice rods the last two seasons and have only found two blanks I really liked. One is a 32” fiberglass from Janns Netcraft I built as a dead stick. Cheap blank and super soft, really works well with a small bait runner reel.  The other was power noodle blank from Mud hole. Last year they only had it in a 26” blank but it looks like they added longer ones. I’d recommend this blank for sure, it’s basically a quick tip rod with super light tip that transitions into a stiff backbone.  I think I saw a “quiver stick” blank added this year as well which has me thinking.

All in all I really like building up ice rods, they’re cheap quick custom builds and easy to experiment with. Best of luck!

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:45 AM »
Thanks, I’ll take a more serious look. Basskhang has some interesting blanks too. Mudhole has a two day rod building class March 30-31 in Syracuse.  I might attend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.