Author Topic: Restocking fee  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Restocking fee
« on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:20 AM »
I recently purchased two ice rod combos on line. After receiving them they weren't to my liking. The bails on the reels were very stiff when turning the reel handle the bail wouldn't close and they just weren't what I wanted. I understand it wasn't the suppliers fault and it was difficult to tell what the combos were like without putting your hands on them.

So after sending them back ($10 shipping with insurance and tracking) I was charged another $10 restocking fee on a $79 dollar order. I'm not tickled to death about that. What do you guy's think? I now know that I won't be doing business with them any more. How hard can it be to put an item back on the shelf?
Death from above

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Restocking fee
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Pretty standard practice for a lot of places.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:38 AM »
I have never been impressed with a restocking fee, but I think that is a business's way of forcing you to keep your product, thus they make their sale. I have had a couple online places I wont deal with anymore, just because of that policy. I either keep it or resell it and usually come out better than I would if I shipped it back to them. Scott

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:51 AM »
What store,and I'll till you this most combo's are junk,the rods are ok,but the reels are junk.

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:10 AM »
What store,and I'll till you this most combo's are junk,the rods are ok,but the reels are junk.

PM sent...
Death from above

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:29 AM »
thats why i never buy equipment i havent had in my hands

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:34 AM »
thats why i never buy equipment i havent had in my hands

That would be good to have that option. Unfortunately the selection where I am isn't that great.
Death from above

Offline skipper4080

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Whta's the name of the place
Never get excited there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is??

Offline joejamiejop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Don't want to be the bad apple hear, however I am a business owner (not fishing equipment) and a restock fee is actually a charge that I HAVE TO pass on to the customer. Ten dollars seems like a high price to you. The standard charge that I get from the distributors is 25%. Doing business is tough these days, having someone receive and open mail is not a hard task but when looked at with an hourly rate, it makes sense to charge for there work. It is a crap shoot no matter which way you look at it, but its part of business now. The other thing depends on the order circumstances, did you order it from a store that does not stock these items on hand? Do they place the order when you do? All things to consider. Also, I would not order things like rod combos online, I try to support local business all that I can, sometimes you pay a little more, but the money stays in the area. Try not to rip me a new one for this!
Thank God for Ice!

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Don't want to be the bad apple hear, however I am a business owner (not fishing equipment) and a restock fee is actually a charge that I HAVE TO pass on to the customer. Ten dollars seems like a high price to you. The standard charge that I get from the distributors is 25%. Doing business is tough these days, having someone receive and open mail is not a hard task but when looked at with an hourly rate, it makes sense to charge for there work. It is a crap shoot no matter which way you look at it, but its part of business now. The other thing depends on the order circumstances, did you order it from a store that does not stock these items on hand? Do they place the order when you do? All things to consider. Also, I would not order things like rod combos online, I try to support local business all that I can, sometimes you pay a little more, but the money stays in the area. Try not to rip me a new one for this!

I somewhat understand what you are saying. But yes this store stocked the items that I ordered. But it just seems to me that it would cost them more than $10 in the long run because I know I wont do business with them again and I wont recommend them to my friends. I will continue to do business with people that don't practice this and will make sure that when I order from someone new I will ask if there is a restocking fee. Maybe I am being to anal about this but to open a box and put something back isn't that hard or time consuming.
Death from above

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2010, 11:42 AM »
The whole idea of a restocking fee just irks me.  If a seller doesn't represent his products accurately,  why should I have to pay for it?  I don't purchase online unless I know what I'm ordering.   A lot of research goes into each order. 

I make an effort to purchase from non-restocking fee vendors, but if I have to Im very specific and a PITA about things.    I'm obviously referring to large ticket items.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2010, 06:19 AM »
Any way they can make a $ they will with the restocking fee=Like most said i've bought a lot of things that didn't cut the mustard. Better to look at it first hand and then shop around for prices and then order.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2010, 07:21 AM »
That would be good to have that option. Unfortunately the selection where I am isn't that great.
Same boat here! :'(
Fish on!

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2010, 07:48 AM »
just tell us the name
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor