Author Topic: Polars & eyes  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Polars & eyes
« on: Oct 28, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Anyone have success catching walleyes on HT polar tip ups ? And if so what is your set up as far as trip setting ?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Polars & eyes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2019, 05:19 PM »
I do. Set 'em light. On Polars there's kind of an infinite range if you tinker a bit. See diagrams below:

Fig. 1

Fig.2

The first options in Fig. 1 depend on which way your line is spooled. Basically if the cross member turns toward the top of the flag it has to push the spring down just a bit before it trips making it more difficult. Conversely, if it turns toward the base of the flag it's sliding down a bit of a decline and the pressure of the spring helps it trip more easily.

In the Fig.2, tilting the entire shaft accentuates those basic settings. Tilt toward the front of the flag = more difficult, rear of the flag = easier. A minor amount of tinkering will get you exactly the trip you are looking for.

The one down side: Those springs on those flags are very robust and the bases so light that often the tippy will rock or move somewhat when the flag pops. Some guys say that spooks fish. You don't get that with boards because of their base weight. If I think it's gonna be a factor I save a little ice slush from the hole or pack some snow around the base to keep it still.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Very good , thank you. I ask because I catch my largest walleyes on tip downs but the polars are so much less to carry & set up , faster also. My largest bass have all come on polars though. I’m going to keep experimenting with the lightest settings on the polars & maybe lighter running line

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2019, 06:13 PM »
I love my Polars. Cheap and effective. I don’t fish for walleye (never caught one actually) but I do like to rig them for pike. In my experience, the lighter you set the Polars, they are more prone to wind-trips. Keeping the flag pointed downwind helps quite a bit but I suppose that can be the case for any tip-up.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline KUBES90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hog Livin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Polars are the only way to go IMO. See the video, this is why i love them. Sorry for the language...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7POgvqF1BL/?igshid=boeaul156g3q
"And I'll be catching them northern pike like on a 10 pound test"- Kid Rock

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.