Author Topic: Blackstrap 2019/20  (Read 67350 times)

Offline Scrunt

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Blackstrap 2019/20
« Reply #270 on: Jan 29, 2020, 03:39 PM »
I was out yesterday from 12-330 and absolutely smacked the perch. 25-30 of them. I haven’t had a day like that on the ice there in probably 8 years. And I’m sure it will be another 8 years before it happens again. It was a good way to spend a couple hours fishing outside.

Offline Cvanhouwe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #271 on: Jan 29, 2020, 05:18 PM »
As mentioned above there is no access from thode I was at thode today visiting a buddy and now someone has posted a sign at the very top of the hill going down into thode stating no access onto lake for fishing..drive the detour or move your shack (if you have one) to the north end and fish there? There’s just really no areas  even to park on Summerfeldt road. Without pissing some of the locals off.

Thanks! Thought I'd double check. We have a shack close to the launches but might move it to the north side for a quicker trip out.

Offline Uncle Yor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #272 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I talked to someone at the RM and it sounded like if a case could be made they may consider opening the access at Evans during construction. Wouldn’t hurt to let them know your thoughts if you’re interested.

Since I haven’t been since it was first closed, can a guy park where it’s chained and walk down to the shore?

Looking forward to enjoying the weather this weekend!

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #273 on: Jan 30, 2020, 06:12 PM »
I know a few letters regarding Evans road had been sent to the RM prior to tbere meeting on the  28th. So hopefully they were added to the meetings agenda and hope to hear something soon.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #274 on: Jan 31, 2020, 07:26 PM »
What a beautiful day out on the strap today.  Not much wind, sunny most of the time.  Started on the South end and caught 30 perch in the morning,
then moved to the North end.  Caught 40 perch and 1 walleye out of one hole as soon as I got there in about a hour.  They were pretty picky and light biting on the South end.  Got lucky on the North end in that one hole, as they were really aggressive and hitting hard one after the other.

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #275 on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:11 PM »
Nice to see after a little time off you are back to doing what ya do best, oh Perch Whisperer,!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #276 on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:26 PM »
 ;)

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #277 on: Feb 01, 2020, 04:59 PM »
What a beautiful day to be out. Weather was fantastic and not much for wind. Had a very reasonable day fishing too. Ended up catching about 30 perch and 2 pike.  Most went back, but kept a few for supper.

I just wanted to stay Thank You to the 3 guys this morning in a Red RAM Rebel who gave me a push!  I thought I could kick around in 2-wheel drive, but a bigger drift thought otherwise...so it was 4-wheel drive after that!  So Thanks!   ;D

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #278 on: Feb 02, 2020, 01:45 AM »
How close can you get to the bridge before its closed

Can you get to the point of accessing lake or are you detoured well before that?

Offline chezboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #279 on: Feb 02, 2020, 08:43 PM »
Can I come into blackstrap provincial park from the south to access the boat launches to get onto the ice?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #280 on: Feb 02, 2020, 09:23 PM »
Chezboy,

No quick easy route off Highway 11 if that is what you are asking. You need to get on Range Road 3040 coming up from the south. It will take you right by the park entrance to the causeway.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #281 on: Feb 03, 2020, 07:54 PM »
It was a little cool this morning and not much biting on the South side.  Stayed until 11:30, then moved to the North end.  Tried 3 spots and hammered the perch in all 3 spots.  The wind died down and it was very nice the rest of the day. 

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #282 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:39 PM »
A beautiful day today with snow, sun, cloud and most happily little wind.

We fished the north end this time and had a strong bite early on just after 9:00 am. Some very tiny perch punched well above their weight, smashing the drop hooks with abandon. For a while the contest was to see who would get the smallest. Eventually some tens and elevens
showed up, but the average for the day would have been around nine inches. We pulled up somewhere around 60 on the day and even had the rare pleasure of meeting a couple of Conservation Officers on the ice. How nice it is not to have to worry about whether all your barbs are fully pinched on your treble hooks. Good call Sask. Environment. Barbless is sporting and at times very practical, but some very well intentioned folks were experiencing needless hassle over this issue in the past

Offline Piggyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #283 on: Feb 06, 2020, 12:33 PM »
I use barbless hooks but I thought the regs changed and it’s no longer mandatory to use barbless at the strap, Bradwell, zelma, fishing, madge and a few others. I also have been told I’m crazy on a few occasions.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #284 on: Feb 06, 2020, 01:16 PM »
I use barbless hooks but I thought the regs changed and it’s no longer mandatory to use barbless at the strap, Bradwell, zelma, fishing, madge and a few others. I also have been told I’m crazy on a few occasions.

It has definitely changed. As per the 2019 angling guide.
" Barbless hooks No longer mandatory on Blackstrap, Bradwell, Brightwater, Broderick, Dellwood, Moosomin and Zelma reservoirs, as well as Fishing, Miracle and Madge lakes. This change will provide greater consistency on the regulated use of barbless hooks in the southern management zone. Reduced limits on these waters remain in effect."

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #285 on: Feb 06, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Two of us were out on the North end today.  Pretty cool weather wise and fishing wise.  Had to break out the hand warmers.  We tried 4 spots and had a few good runs, but slow in between runs.  We ended up landing 50 perch, 3 pike, and 3 walleye.  Kept 10 perch, and 1 walleye for a feed.

Think we will try the South end in a couple days.

For those that haven't been out in a while the entrance at the North end has average ruts, but getting on is a breeze as well as driving around the lake.  There is more snow on the North end then the South end.  Was on the South end Monday and both launches are rut free and excellent for getting on and off.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #286 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:03 PM »
I was just wondering what everyones thought is on the water color on the North end VS the South end.  This year I have noticed the North ends water is very brownish/yellow, while the South end is crystal clear.

Offline uofshuskies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #287 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:32 PM »
I've seen the same, CR. The water in the south end, particularly closer to the boat launches I find quite clear. You can see the bottom very well. In the north it's pretty murky. I found it clears up a bit as you go further south, which makes sense. I wonder if there was/is a higher weed concentration in the north end for some reason?

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #288 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:05 PM »
Maybe ran some water through canal in fall which comes in the S end????

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #289 on: Feb 08, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Yesterday was a pretty slow day for us. The north end where we started so strongly two days previous was not very productive. Moving down the lake provided more marks, but very few eager fish. Plenty of stare downs with pouty big red marks that went on and on and on.
I was playing Sergio Leone spaghetti western music in my head. When the battle finally started, a good sized pike emerged the hero after destroying my buddy's perch rig.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #290 on: Feb 08, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Two of us fished the South end today, and had real good action from when we started at 9:20 until about 1:30, landing well over 60 perch.  Lot's of small ones, but were able to take home 5 nice ones each.  Probably could of kept another 10, but 5 each is all we wanted.  Talked to the C.O.'s and they said we were doing better then most people they checked.  The bite did stop after 1:30, so we stayed until 2:15 and called her a day.

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #291 on: Feb 08, 2020, 07:06 PM »
Fished the northside of evans road today from 9:30 to noon, landed 1 perch, had a few nibbles, otherwise quiet outting.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #292 on: Feb 08, 2020, 07:56 PM »
Cholo, the C.O. told me he was talking to you toady, and that you were threatening to break out the dynamite.......now I know why :)

Offline Hard Waterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #293 on: Feb 09, 2020, 12:20 PM »
Yesterday was on fire for us. Perch wise that is. Lost count at 75 and 1 jack. Kept 8 for a catch and cook on the ice. Released the rest. Fun day out there.

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #294 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:11 PM »
Baratrauma..,...Look it up.
My concerns are how many of these fish are suffering Baratrauma. That's when the swim bladder pops out and into their mouths. From the studies that have been written,shows that very few on these fish survive being tossed back into the water. We have all seen this. I'm fortunate to have a camera in order to play keep away from the small fish who want my offerings. If I end up with one,it is added to my catch limit. Our lakes and fish deserve proper care.

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #295 on: Feb 10, 2020, 06:59 AM »
My concerns are how many of these fish are suffering Baratrauma. That's when the swim bladder pops out and into their mouths. From the studies that have been written,shows that very few on these fish survive being tossed back into the water. We have all seen this. I'm fortunate to have a camera in order to play keep away from the small fish who want my offerings. If I end up with one,it is added to my catch limit. Our lakes and fish deserve proper care.

Catching them in less than 30' they will be fine.
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #296 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:44 AM »

So what are you suggesting?

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #297 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:09 AM »
Catching them in less than 30' they will be fine.

I disagree. I’ve caught them in 23 feet of water at this lake and they have suffered barotrauma
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #298 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:40 AM »
Twisted made the following comment:  Our lakes and fish deserve the proper care.

That is why there are limits on our lakes and rivers, and in some cases reduced limits along with spawning areas closed to fishing until the end
of May, with some areas closed until June 15th.  I don't always agree with fish biologists, but in whole they are doing a good job.

I have mentioned this before that fish mortality on released fish is taken into account when limits are implemented on that body of water.  That is why
there are different limits for different bodies of water.  In some cases were there is only catch and release (more so in Alberta), that is so you can catch and release the fish......they don't say you can't fish that body of water because some fish are going to die when you release them.

Look at the fishing pressure Blackstrap receives.  And I am sure there will be lots of people that agree with me that the fishing on the Strap is well
above average (I would go as far as to say excellent for myself).  We all have been saying every year that there are a ton of small perch, so the future
years are in fine shape.

Our lakes/rivers and fish are getting the proper care they deserve............... ...................... ........go ahead and throw back that small fish

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #299 on: Feb 10, 2020, 11:02 AM »
I've seen barotrauma as shallow as 22ft.  Very dependant on how quickly you horse the fish up.  I will keep smaller fish if they spit the bladder.  There's meat to be had on a 7" perch if ya cook it whole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.