Author Topic: TB Quiverstick  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
TB Quiverstick
« on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:42 AM »
Anyone usin' this beauty?  :P How do the Recoil guides perform on ice? I have a Cabela's spinning rod that uses them & they've never frozen up...

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/thorne/quiverstick.html
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: TB Quiverstick
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Would metals or ceramics cause water to freeze up faster?

I'd say metals...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:15 AM »
Would metals or ceramics cause water to freeze up faster?

I'd say metals...

Depends on the metal; Titanium is super slick... for example titanium nitride roller guides on reels have yet to ice up on me

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:38 AM »
The Quiverstick has a SiC tip guide on a titanium wire frame.

It's not pure titanium.  It's merely titanuim deposition usually on a nickel alloy.  I have ice freeze on my titanium nitride line rollers.  Not sure of what metal is underneath that.

Even ceramics are made of aluminum oxides.  Some metals along with the silicates that make up the ceramic material.

When I see Recoil guides as a metal looped into a ring and there's space for water to set in, that's just red flags for potential for ice buildup.  If it were fly line guides either S guides or standard rings made of titanium nitride coating, it would be better.

You can always coat your line guides with a water repellent silicone.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:24 PM »
I'm curious why TB would fit their premier ice stick w/ Recoil guides if they collected ice  ??? Hardloy guides have iced up on me tho'...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2009, 04:43 AM »
Recoil titanium line guides can take a lot more abuse than ceramics can.  They're much lighter too.  Those are the features of the Quiverstick.  Most people would fish inside a heated shelter anyway.  If I were to custom my Quiverstick.  I'd go with titanium frame line guides with SiC ring inserts.  You would get the benefit of lightness and the smoothness of ceramics.  Of course this would push the price of the rod over $100 easy.

Besides there are a lot of ice rods with just stainless steel line guides.  Way easy to freeze.  Still those line guides are lighter than standard aluminum oxides ceramic line guides.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2009, 09:53 AM »
I do prefer to fish from a shelter;  Sic guides on a ice rod would be sweet.

Gotta save my pennies for a Quiverstick  :)

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2009, 03:53 PM »
they put the recoils on to shave some weight, if you wanted you could have them make one up with the fuji guides and probly save yourself some pennies but i believe it might alter the action of the rod and change the balance of it? am i right? i have this rod and it is sweet but its one of those rods you have to baby, kinda thinking i shoulda got a couple JM rods and saved a little ching!
EK

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:22 AM »
they put the recoils on to shave some weight, if you wanted you could have them make one up with the fuji guides and probly save yourself some pennies but i believe it might alter the action of the rod and change the balance of it? am i right? i have this rod and it is sweet but its one of those rods you have to baby, kinda thinking i shoulda got a couple JM rods and saved a little ching!
EK

So do the Recoil's ice up? How's the sensitivity?  ???

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:29 AM »
i have not had them ice up yet but i have only been out a few times and i have been in the shanty...... and i think the sensitivity on this rod is top notch for a panfish rod.... mine is set up with 1 pound suffix and super tiny jigs at all times!

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:27 PM »
 I`ve fished with the Quiver Stick for almost a year now and it`s the best finesse panfish rod I have ever used. All guides will freeze up sooner or later while fishing outside in windy cold conditions. The only thing that reduces some of the freezing is using larger diameter guides. I`ve used the QS outside a few times, but IMO it`s a rod better suited for inside fishing due to the smaller diameter tip top. I just received a Power Noodle outside rod with the recoil guides, but with the weather conditions and family functions I have not used it, but it feels like a fish catching machine though. You can`t go wrong buying a QS.

Bob   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.