Author Topic: Best 9" auger?  (Read 572 times)

Offline pugh

• IceShanty Rookie
Best 9" auger?
« on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:30 PM »
I am looking at purchasing a new auger and was thinking of going with a 9 inch bit.  75% of my fishing will be from a wheel house with other 25% run and gun, so weight is of some concern, as is smoke and fumes inside the shack.  If the ion came in a 9 inch model that would be my first choice, but it doesnt.  Anyone got any first hand experience with different models? 

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best 9" auger?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:49 PM »
I think Jiffy's the only company still making a 9" auger. 

Offline RussW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Aaaaaa!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:37 PM »
So why a 9" auger?   There are a lot that make a 8"  And you can pull a huge fish from a 8"   And if you buy a Nils 8" power auger you get a hand crank handle as well.  Its not cheap but as said on many a thread....Nils is the best.  I have a handcrank 8" nils, I can drill 12" ice with no issues.   Also I dont know where you are from and regulations on lakes by you but I am from upstate New York """The King of all STUPID Regulations and laws""" and a hand crank is all you can use on some lakes.  Yup....no gas motors in the summer, means no gas augers in the winter!!   So My vote is for a 8" Nils Power if you got the $$$ or a hand crank for the exercise.
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day... Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime!  

Who needs a boat when you can walk on water!!

Offline pugh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:44 PM »
I was thinking a 9 because I wanted a little bigger then the 8 for pulling fish thru and always using a vex, but don't like the idea of a 10 because frabill thermal tip ups wont work with them and my foot will fit through a 10. 

I pulled a 27 inch walleye thru a 8 inch hole last weekend and it took three times to get his head started through, each missed opportunity is a chance for failure with them bigger fish. 

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:14 AM »
I was thinking a 9 because I wanted a little bigger then the 8 for pulling fish thru and always using a vex, but don't like the idea of a 10 because frabill thermal tip ups wont work with them and my foot will fit through a 10. 

I pulled a 27 inch walleye thru a 8 inch hole last weekend and it took three times to get his head started through, each missed opportunity is a chance for failure with them bigger fish.

I lost a large walleye recently as well, trying to get it started up a 9 inch hole. This was with two feet of ice. Thicker ice does makes it somewhat more difficult to get large or very active fish aligned into and up the hole.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.