Author Topic: auger question  (Read 737 times)

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
auger question
« on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:32 AM »
Im thinking about purchasing another auger and i have a question.  I'm leaning toward a Nils but not sure what size i want.  I mostly fish for panfish but everyone knows how the biggest fish like to hit the lightest rod.  I see they offer a 4.5", 6", and an 8" .   Im interested in the 4.5 or 6" model.  What are your thoughts?  im leaning toward the 6" because i feel the 4.5" may be too much of a risk, but i like the idea of drilling smaller holes.  i fish for walleyes on and off too, and worry about having a 4.5" auger with me and not having the room to get the fish out.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: auger question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:58 AM »
i use mainly my 4" and own a 6" too.
only one time a crappei was too big (18.5") to pull thru the 4" hole. so i helped my buddy by drilling another right inside the existing hole to form a figure eight and was easy to get the fish out. if you move a lot and drill lots of holes or are drilling thru thick ice, the 4" is the way to go and you can make it bigger. i use a 24v drill and with the 4" i get more run time per battery. the 4" is lighter and takes less sled space. i have both in my van when i fish but only carry the 4". some times i take both to the ice.

Offline hntfsh09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Small augers are worth their weight in gold.  Big holes make for a lot more effort, so get the smallest you feel safe with.  I personally carry 2 (I drag a 2 man flip over, so bringing along an extra hand auger is nbd) and will use the 5" all day until I find a spot I want to stay at, then I drill an 8" hole.  Just remember that an 8" auger will have to cut way more than twice the ice of a 4" because circles are special like that.  So again, smaller the better in terms of not being sore when you get off the ice.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Just remember that an 8" auger will have to cut way more than twice the ice of a 4" because circles are special like that.  So again, smaller the better in terms of not being sore when you get off the ice.

An 8" drills almost twice as much ice as a 6" and over 4 times as much as a 4".

A 6" drills 1.5 times more ice than a 5".

Personally I use a 5" all the time unless I'm fishing with my father who has a 6". I'll use my 5" to find the fish then drill holes with the 6" to fish out of. I have no problems fishing out of a 5", but if you got a 6" on you then you might as well use it.

my 5" mora with sharp blades cuts better than his 6" lazer with sharp blades. A $40 5" strikemaster mora with SWEDISH blades is a very nice auger for the panfisherman.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline vans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Better Hurry

I ordered a 6" Nils from Reeds Supply Sunday Night, received today, was looking at their website and see they removed it- I bet they sold out

Offline ricks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:26 PM »
Nils is the only way to go . I have had a 6" for 5 years. Cuts fast with little down pressure. The blade is cupped shape and as long as you don't damage it or use in dirty / sandy ice you won't have to sharpen often

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:03 AM »
Picked up a 6" nils today. Gonna try it tomorrow.  Thanks for all the info
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:14 PM »
tried the nils this morning.  I don't know why i didnt buy one in the first place. i thought i was on thin ice it cut through so fast, but it was over 5".  thanks for the great advice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.