Author Topic: tip downs  (Read 5603 times)

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
tip downs
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 08:47 PM »
Does anybody know a good place to get tip downs?  I would like to try one ou this year and don't know where to get one.  I don't really feel like making one either.
t'pup!

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:tip downs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:30 AM »
Cabelas sells one. i don't know of any others, except for the rock-n-reel and they are hard to get.  You really should try making your own.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline hbs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:31 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a tip down and how
would you go about making one?

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2003, 11:57 AM »
ff, I have made several and they are fun to play with.  It takes about 5' of 1/2" PVC pipe, 2 90 degree joints, 2 Ts, and 4 end caps.  Cut 4 pcs. about 10" to 12" long, 1 pcs. 5" long, and 1 pcs. 2" long.  Take 1 of the 10" to 12" pcs. and cut it in half, glue one end of each half pcs. into 1 of the T fittings.  This will give you a long pcs. of PVC with a T joint in the middle.  Glue a 90 degree joint on each end of this pcs.,( NOTE:  Make sure the 90 degree joints are positioned so they both face in the same direction and it is at a right angle to  the T joint with the opening pointing up ) and then glue one of the 10" to 12" long pcs. into the other side of each of the 90 degree joints. Glue end caps to the end of each long pcs. you just glued into the 90 degree fittings.  If you hold the unit in your left hand with the last pcs. facing to the right it should look like the letter "C" with a joint in the vertical.  This is the base for the dead stick or tip down rod.  Take the last 10" to 12" pcs. of PVC and glue one end into the T joint in the middle of the first pcs. of PVC you cut in half.  On the other end of this PVC pipe glue the last T with the center opening facing the same direction as the leg supports  you glued into the 90 degree joints.  Into the other end of the T fitting glue one end of the 2" pcs. of pvc and to this glue an end cap.  Now about 2" down from the top of the stand is the center opening of the T joint, this opening should be pointing to the right as you look down from the top.  Glue the 5" pcs. of pvc into the opening in the T joint and the end cap to the other end of the 5" pcs.  

You should have a C shaped base with a vertical leg and a small arm sticking out of it.  You can balance your ice fishing rod on this little arm and it will tip down when a fish takes the bait.  You can move your ice fishing rod around until you get it balanced just how you like it.

If you worry about a fish pulling the rod in, take a cord and tie a loop in the end and hang it on the back of the rod handle and secure the other end.  This will keep the rod from tipping too far and the stand will hold it in place.
I pour enough sand in my stands to fill the bottom support, before I glue on the top end cap.

The best tip in building these is to cut the pcs. of PVC and dry fit them together before glueing.  You can adjust the length of the base legs and any of the lengths of the rod supports or vertical supports.  Have fun and experiment.

Pop

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2003, 12:10 PM »
I have made my own out of scrap lumber, all you need is 4 pieces of 3/4 inch square wood, 2 - 16" long and 2 - 18" long, 12 - 1/2" drywall screws, 3 pieces of 1/4" plywood that are 2 1/2" x 5 1/2", and 2 - 2" x 1/4" carrige bolts with 2 wing nuts.  They fold up to about the size of a standard tipup.  You can email me for instructions and a diagram on how to make them if you want.  We make them in about 10 minutes each.  The only other thing that you need is one of the cheap jig poles with the plastic reels with a 5" x 1/4" threaded rod through the handle. \

[email protected]

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2003, 12:42 PM »

These  are the ones I build, they work great and cheap to build.
  Shark
How's the ice

Offline hbs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2003, 01:47 PM »
Thanks for the instructions and picture.  I have never heard of these, let alone seen one.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:04 PM »
Check the thread RG's Tip Down Design on the New York board. You might have to go back a few pages but it contains pics, materials list and directions for what looks like a very neat tip down.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2003, 02:01 PM »
i made one and can't wait to try it out....got the materials for 4 more but figured i'd do one and if it came out the way i thought then i finish up the others
BUD

GregSfishing

« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2003, 09:39 AM »
i just found some that you can buy in an in-fisherman magazine. it is on www.glacierco.com and are 15 bucks. looks easy to build a replica and you wouldn't have to spend as much money.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2003, 12:32 PM »
just finishing mine up......poly.  then off to try them tomorrow if the weather stays decent.
BUD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.