Author Topic: Crappie Afternoon!  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
Crappie Afternoon!
« on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:23 PM »
Today was my first day of Christmas vacation & what a start! Between coaching hockey & home renovations fishing had to take a back seat for a few months. The initial plan was to jig for some BOQ walleye but after several debates my buddy said let's go fish a back lake for some Gators, Gills & Crappie. I'm all in!
Unsure of the ice levels we decided to head out in the light & hope for safe ice. After an 1.5hr drive through the backwoods we arrived at the little lake to find 5" of solid black ice covered in 2" of snow. We set up in 20-26' of water, the flashers were glowing as soon as the transducer hit the water. It wasn't long before we easily iced 50 Gills some true brutes along with 10 OOS Largies! Around 3:30pm we decided to head shallower & search for some Crappies my buddy E already had 4 giants in a bag with about 20 giant Gills. Again the same thing as soon as the transducer hit the water it was covered in blobs. From first drop till the last drop we pounded Crappie 46 between 2 of us in about 2.5hrs, I've never experienced so much Crappie action with such size. We ended having one hell of a Crappie afternoon!
Green frosted glow jigs tipped with Gulp alive minnows frys was the winning combo!

The only gator of the day

E Man with a couple Slobo Slabs

Me with a couple,

My half of the of the haul,

Best early Christmas present in awhile!
MERRY CHRISTMAS to All!

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Crappie Afternoon!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:28 PM »
NICE  i heard them fish might have some fungus that can make you sick.  the only way to tell for sure if they are ok to eat is if you ship them to me and i fry them up and let you know if i get sick.  i will send you my shipping info shortly. 

Offline MotoJoe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Play Safe
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:32 PM »
Wow! It's nice. Wish we have good ice in Scugog soon. Merry Christmas to you too.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2016, 01:16 PM »
Nice early ice action there Wingthing! Congrats!
Tight lines

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2016, 01:28 PM »
Nice job guys...real good haul there. They will taste delicious. Merry Christmas and happy fishing
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2016, 12:24 PM »
Very nice fish. Like the bills hat to

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:17 PM »
I am Soooo jealous,  :clap:

Offline randaller

• IceShanty Rookie