Author Topic: What's the coldest you have fished in?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
What's the coldest you have fished in?
« on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:40 AM »
Though I probably will never make it that far up north to fish, I enjoy reading the posts about ice fishing in Canada. The last couple of years have been temperature wise “wimpy”. However there were times a few years ago that going fishing was almost a survival of the fittest ordeal. Out of curiosity what were some of the worst conditions some of you faced temperature and snow wise?

I remember about ten years ago fishing off oak island on Lake of the Woods when we were faced with 40 mph winds and an actual temp of –30. I am sure some of you wouldn’t even bother with long johns at this point.

Anyway looking forward to hearing some horror stories. By the way, Happy New Year!

WS

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
Re: What's the coldest you have fished in?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Last year Bay of Quinte winds of 30 to 35km the temp was -19 but with the wind ended up feeling like -25!!! I watched guys with no ice cleats get blown across the ice even seen a couple lay down to stop themselves  :o :o. Guys would get out of their one man flips and if they weren't weighted down they would pop back up and blow down the lake, I had to keep my feet on the bottom bar just to prevent it from flipping over and that was just the side wind! This was my last trip with no heater, fished for 9hrs! Had we not travelled 2.5hrs to get there and rented a motel for 4 days we wouldn't have fished!!

Offline chris383

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Last year, Ingleside ice tourney. Not sure if any other members were there, but I believe BEFORE windchill it was like -26 or something like that, and a freaking snow hurricane decided to blow in.  The organizers were saying at the end up the day the wind was gusting up to 65 km/h. And it snowed like crazy on and off.

Not sure if the storm was to blame, but only 2 walleye were weighed in, and no pike at all. Second place, 800 dollar walleye was LITERALLY .246 of a lb.  and my uncle won first place perch with just over 1.5 lbs.   

not saying its the coldest ever, but my most miserable ice fishing experience ever.

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Last Year in Chetek WI -20 temps without windchill, we had to use a torch to thaw out the water lines INSIDE the cabin so we could use the toilet. Yep THEN we went out and fished, can anybody say "eyelid freeze"

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:09 AM »
I fished in -31 with the wind ,nice in the hut with heater going but the fish shut right off, made a short day of it , my old Evinrude sled starts right up , lucky to have such a trusty beast

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:40 AM »
In haliburotn a few seasons back the temp was -45 when we hit the ice.

did some damage to our beer

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Now that does "Bite It". So sorry for your loss  >:(

WS

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Coldest I have fished with no shelter was Wind 50 below. I would pull the fish out the hole and it would (the out side) freeze almost instantly! I do almost all C&R so as I would pull the fish through the hole I would open my coat, and take the fish off the hook in side my coat! I fished that day because it was the first time that spot was safe... Dam, that was cold, but I was dressed for it!

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:19 PM »
I fished a blustery -30 day on Lake of the Woods in my home-made shack that was made with a blue tarp for walls. With the little propane heater not really doing the job, the condensation from my breath was turning to ice instantly when it hit the walls and then the wind gusts would knock it off and the snow shower down the neck was horrible!!

Yet - I was trout fishing on Wonderland on an absolutely beauty of a day. Sledded in from the road and it was -27. Sitting in the lee of a cliff, basking in the sunshine while sitting on the sled, I could not believe how comfortable it was. Having no wind was the key. Did not have to wear mitts until after getting hands wet.

The main thing I believe is that with warm feet you can last longer. My boots are rated for -100. I can fish longer out in the open in -20 than I can with lesser boots with warmer temps. If my feet get cold I am done :P

Can't wait to get out for trout and whitefish soon.

Glen

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:34 PM »
I fished in a -20 day and caught nothing,I told myself never again its just too cold(fish dont bite).

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:38 PM »
-24 on a day inthe adirondaks many years ago, with a windchill of -50+!! we lasted 3 hours, no shelter.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:23 PM »
-41 in a complete white out once. The wind was howling and I vowed I would never be that mad at fish again. The fear of being lost was real cause you could not see 20 feet and following your sled tracks back was out of the question cause they blew in with snow so fast. One of the guys got frostbite so bad in his chin it was 3 days before the swelling went down..I have no idea who thought it was a good idea.

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:29 PM »
coldest i have ever fished in is -38 on eagle lake in haliburton.

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:46 AM »
-70, in the North Pole for Arctic Char. Dumbell Lake near CFS Alert. Ice thickness 5Ft, Have awesome pics, if i knew how to upload them.
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline Bear58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:33 PM »
-30 -45 wind chill but the good thing we were in a bungalow ...... wind was blowing pretty hard our outfitter could only get us back by GPS  ;D ;D
OFAH ZONE F

Offline Silas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2012, 05:50 PM »
-35 last year in January on Lake of the Woods.  It was so cold I had to heat up the sunflower heater with a few matches before it would let the propane flow so I could light it and get warm.  Almost called it in that day early...

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Probably around -35, it wasn't that cold in the shack with the wood stove blazing though! ;D

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:22 PM »
2 years ago, real temp -22, wind chill around -30. No shelter, no other fools around, had a good day and iced 3 Pike. I lasted 5 hours, still thawing out my toes ;)
Born to fish...Forced to work...To pay for Fishing!!!

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:26 PM »
-30 on quinte with high winds decided i was gonna stick my hand the water with my glove on to save my first iced eye I almost lost it at the hole damn that was a cold day but it was a delicious eye
SEOO

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:07 AM »
It might have been 2 nights ago.The radio said the temp was -28c and -39c with the wind chill,wind gust were 65-70kmh.I was in my perm hut and my heater was having a hard time keeping it even close to warm.I,m sure we got wind gust on the river exceeded the forecast ,several times I thought my hut was going to flip over with me in it.
The fish were freezing as quick as they hit the ice.My second fish did not even set off the flag on my tip-up as it was frozen up too bad,I found out he was on the line when I was picking up my gear.I usually fish alone most times so to get pictures I have to set up the camera and use the timer.Within seconds of being in the wind my fingers were so cold I couldn't hardly work the buttons
I really don't think I could have done it in a portable.I know I would have never got my quickfish 3 put away.That sucker would have blown over to Quebec somewhere.Conditions last night were about the same,I never left my woodstove.A man has got to know his limits ;D :roflmao:

I did manage two decent fish but I did it the hard way

Tonight should be a little less wild :thumbsup:
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline jonah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:58 AM »
It was -47c before the windchill was factored in. up in Northern Saskatchewan on the Churchill River at Sandy Bay, where i lived and worked. its a big river and because of the dam system, its hard to tell its even a river in alot of places. the ice was about 4 feet thick that year. there werent too many people into ice fishing up there...they mustve thought i was a lunatic. i spent about 4 or 5 hours out there without a shack or anything. i  drilled about 5 or 6 holes that day. didnt catch a thing. it was great just being out for the day. you can get used to that type of cold but ya gotta dress for it.
fishing in the summer around that area was a whole other story though. it became like work at times...one after another...never seen so many fish in a day.
15 years later...i wont fish if it gets colder than -10 to -15..or in a shack. lmao.

Offline Mikey69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:20 AM »
I'm going in the Chapleau pike derby tommorow,suposed to be -34C with the wind chill.Good thing I have my hut set up.
You're bleedin man!
I ain't got time to bleed!

Offline jonah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:49 AM »
yeah...it seems like alot of ppl south of us arent getting much ice..apparently its getting worse each year. the traditional ice roads north of here are getting less all the time...and its a different kind of ice too. they cant get all their fuel in for the year and supplies. things are definately changing. whatever the reason may be.
could it be the chem trails doing this to the winter ice....and screwing up growing seasons...and the fish spawn too???
might be a bit paranoid and such...but have you looked up lately and watched the aircraft over us???
i think soon there wont be ANY ice.  AND...alot of other things as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.