Author Topic: which fish finder to get  (Read 1016 times)

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
which fish finder to get
« on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Heys guys was interested in a little feed back on fish finders from those who have them or can sugest one. I was wondering if anybody has fished with marcums, i am interested in the ice troller hand held with optional case. Money is a bit of an issue, dont want to spend 500$ . something easy to use and tote arround.
walking on water, just like the big man!!!

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
Re: which fish finder to get
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:02 PM »
well I have a marcum lx-5 and I love it it cost me $415.00. I dont know what I did with out one all these years lol

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:09 PM »
I love my Vexilar fl-18.  Easily under $500.  Remember, you get what you pay for.  As someone I know says "Don't ask what it cost, ask what is it worth?".  Do your homework by looking at fishing with electronics on this forum.  Keep in mind that everyone has there own opinion.  I don't bash people who use other products or the products they used.  In fact, one think I liked about the Marcums is that the readout is clear and you can easily distinguish between the colors.  In my opinion, this is a one time purchase, so buy something that you're going to be happy with in the long run, however, no fish finder is worth bankruptcy or a divorce.  You also might consider going out on the ice and talking with different guys who have finders to get their input and see how they work.  Most of us are more than happy to show off our finders and help someone who is considering on.  Tight lines.  5watchman5.

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Ive watched endless videos on different brands, the vexlar is up there in my top two picks, would i be correct in saying that you can detect a hit easier on a vexlar than a marcum? I'm gonna hit up the ice tomorrow with a couple of iceshanty guys, so I'm sure there will be some models to look at then. i gotta do more running and gunning, Last year i was lazy just going to my sweet spot and chilling. Well got some bass pro gift certificates burning a hole in pocket and with all my advice I'm getting, put some more fish on the ice. Thanks guys

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Dont just look at 'flashers', lowrance x67c gives way more bang for your buck and has more options than even the most expensive flashers out there, plus you can use it as your summer fishfinder, and if you really need to look at a whirling circle for nostalgia, it has a flasher mode too. All that for $300 or less.

The Hummingbird 345 and 385 also look very good. They have the dual beam transducer unlike the x67c. Apparently you can have a split display of wide angle beam and narrow beam too. If i did not already own the x67c i would be buying a Hummingbird for sure.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Seeing as how you are in Toronto, go to Radioworld on Steeles at Norfinch, east side of the 400,  radioworld.ca for prices.  And, they have people there that know what they're talking about compare to some of those dolts in the big store north of there.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Dont just look at 'flashers', lowrance x67c gives way more bang for your buck and has more options than even the most expensive flashers out there, plus you can use it as your summer fishfinder, and if you really need to look at a whirling circle for nostalgia, it has a flasher mode too. All that for $300 or less.

DITTO!!!

... this guy kills the fish with his x67c all year long!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Redclam

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Anything outdoors is on the agenda
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2010, 02:40 AM »
We have 5 guys in our group and this year the last of the 5 got his x67. For the money its the best buy.

Redclam 8)

Fishing? When? Where? I'm there.

Offline peddletothemeddle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:27 PM »
X67C  used mine for the first time on Thursday.  Will now be selling my vex.

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:46 AM »
When I was at Radioworld two weeks ago to buy my LX-5 they recommended it over all the Vex and Birds if you have $500.00 to spend.  There is no way you could say a hit is easier to see/feel on any of them (Marcum has the best target separation) you feel that in the rod! Any good flasher will do the job and for a first timer I think a mid-range model is good enough.  I just upgraded after 5 years with the LX-3, the best ones do what the others do slightly better, more features.

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Sweet thanks guys, gonna hit up radio world. x67c sounds like a frontrunner. Went out yesterday we brought in some nice eyes, and the biggest rock bass i have ever seen!!! Cant wait to see the little *****s on a screen and get more on the ice, thanks for all the advice. J :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.