Author Topic: Wethersfield cove  (Read 9052 times)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Re: Wethersfield cove
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:34 AM »
You guys got that text from me, lol!  You were with Hogan, right? 

Offline Getbent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:46 AM »
It was a 10’ ladder.  Might need a 30’ or bigger now!

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:03 AM »
You guys got that text from me, lol!  You were with Hogan, right?

Yes I was. Lol. I would have so much rather fished there than bantam. Slowest day I've ever had there
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2019, 03:03 PM »
In case anybody was wondering there's still 7 inches of good ice out there. The channel is open out to the markers and the edges were a little soft but no plank needed. The morning was crazy hot. Couldn't even set up all my tips for at least an hour because I kept catching fish on the first couple. Slowed down by 10 but was rewarded with some awesome fish. Ended up with half a bucket of jumbo perch and crappie, my buddy got a nice 3.5lb bass, I got my biggest bass through the ice at 5lb even and then later in the day when it seemed dead I set the hook on a 9lb cat. The hook ended up breaking pulling it out with my hands so I could have lost it at any second. Awesome day to be out. I love that place

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2019, 03:29 PM »
That there, right there, is known as a Holstein Largemouth. Nice fish, drove around a bit in central CT today, so weird what is gone and what is still fishable. Saw one lake that was solid across, looked very fishable, where a lake in the same watershed, less than a half mile away was half open water.

And by "looking fishable," I mean I fished it a week and a half ago, and have been fishing it for decades, and it looses ice  fast. If it has dry snow on top all across, it is walkable.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Well thanks Ravo. Just when I felt good about yesterday’s catch of 20 Largemouth Bass and over 80 Bluegill with my buddy, you have to post those two monsters. Those are awesome fish, congrats to you.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Yeah it's another weird year for ice. But the last time I was able to fish the cove was in 2015 according pictures on my phone. We've had terrible luck the is few years so it felt so good to be out there. By far my favorite place to fish in the winter. You just never know what you're going to get. Ended up with 7 species : bluegill, perch, crappie, bass, catfish, a massive fallfish and even some emerald shiners

-Ryan-

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2019, 08:12 PM »
Those are spottail shiners in there no Emerald shiners in the Connecticut River that I know of
Go big or go home

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:09 PM »
Those are spottail shiners in there no Emerald shiners in the Connecticut River that I know of

That's what I thought too but none of them had any black dots.

-Ryan-

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:27 PM »

I have caught both Spottail and Emerald shiners in Wethersfield Cove and another popular ice fishing spot on the river north of Springfield.

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2019, 01:56 PM »
In case anybody was wondering there's still 7 inches of good ice out there. The channel is open out to the markers and the edges were a little soft but no plank needed. The morning was crazy hot. Couldn't even set up all my tips for at least an hour because I kept catching fish on the first couple. Slowed down by 10 but was rewarded with some awesome fish. Ended up with half a bucket of jumbo perch and crappie, my buddy got a nice 3.5lb bass, I got my biggest bass through the ice at 5lb even and then later in the day when it seemed dead I set the hook on a 9lb cat. The hook ended up breaking pulling it out with my hands so I could have lost it at any second. Awesome day to be out. I love that place

Sounds like a great time. What are your thoughts this weekend?

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Sounds like a great time. What are your thoughts this weekend?

I think I'll be there on Sunday

-Ryan-

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 05, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Great place to fish, I have even got stripers through the ice there, never know what will be on the other end of the line. Best of luck and be safe!

Offline Hammertime-IceCube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Danbury Fish & Game Association
« Reply #43 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:23 PM »
I drove by there Sunday 3/3 on I91 11am southbound returning From Maine ice fishing Sebago Lake.... Wethersfield cove was packed with people especially on the north side

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #44 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:25 AM »
Hammertime. How was sebago??
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:19 AM »
How many inches were there Ravo?

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:11 PM »
7 where I was

-Ryan-

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:03 PM »
I drove by there Sunday 3/3 on I91 11am southbound returning From Maine ice fishing Sebago Lake.... Wethersfield cove was packed with people especially on the north side

Hey I was on Sebago 3/2 and 3/3 also, how did you do? Good ice there for sure.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Did a little night jigging. 8"of solid ice with 1"of frozen slush on top. Was singing the whole time

-Ryan-

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Anyone trying again this weekend?

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:09 AM »
I'll be there afternoon into dark again. Falling pressure after 2 days off high should get them in a feeding frenzy. I'll report what I find for ice but I'm gonna guess it won't be fishable after tomorrow. They're expecting the river to rise 4 feet with the rain so getting on probably won't be possible

-Ryan-

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Hey Ravo what time you getting on tonight? I get out of work at 5. How much ice is over there?

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:46 PM »
I just did a mini scouting mission on my lunch break. Unfortunately, I left my mucks at home so I didn't get on the ice   :%$#!: However, I did see 7 or 8 different groups of people out there. Channel opened up quite a bit. Where I was fishing last weekend is now open water. The edges didn't look to bad. I didn't see a plank, maybe they were using the dock to get on and off. Good luck out there. I am gonna pass and avoid falling in back to back years on the last trip of the year.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:17 PM »
We were able to pretty much just hop right on in the right spot. Had about 7"of fair ice when we got there. Was hoping to get into a pile of crappie. Well the night turned for the better. Got 8 species: perch, white perch, blue gill, crappie, shiners, white cat, channel cat and yellow bullhead. Oh yeah we ended up with 13 cats, 10 of which were on jigs with 4lb test on light rods. They loved the glow jigs. Ended up with a 9lb 11oz that took my buddy 10 minutes to land. Revived her for a bit and back down the hole.

Awesome last night at the cove. Lost almost 2"of ice in a few hours. We had to run across floating ice chunks to get off. Didn't get wet but close. So unless you plan to use the dock I don't think anybody else is getting on it for the rest of the year. It's not worth it

-Ryan-

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Mar 15, 2019, 05:23 AM »
Nice work.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Crazy thing is they were acting just like crappie. They were mostly all suspended and would hit going up. Very subtle. Super exciting

-Ryan-

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Happened to me the other night in Mass but with bullhead.  Things were suspended or right under the ice.  Couldn't complain!

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Very impressive. Nice pics, must have been fun catching those cats on light tackle. we were there on tues. and had plenty of  fish bending my jig rod, nothing that size, hats off to you for landing them. never no whats gonna come thru the ice there. glad to see you guys made it off the ice safe,

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #58 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Way to get out!  I almost went myself.  Not ready for night ice, yet though.  Next year.  Nice job.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:12 PM »
Those are some good looking cats. And I think this will be the end with todays temps in the 50's and rain will raise the water levels breaking up the ice. Sad to say!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.