Author Topic: Wethersfield cove  (Read 9053 times)

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wethersfield cove
« on: Jan 13, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Anybody happen to drive by and see if it's locked up yet? I know it's not safe yet but with all this cold we've had and that's coming there's actually hope to fish it this year. I don't think I was able to get on the past 2 years
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline thejamespowell

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wethersfield cove
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:14 AM »
Just some skim around the edges when I drove past the other day. I drive past it on my way to work so I will give an update later this morning.

Offline thejamespowell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Definitely looked to be locked up but I didn't have time to stop and spud. Might be worth a look if you live nearby though!

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:57 AM »
That's good news! I'm guessing if it was mostly open end of last week it still needs some time but the extended forecast looks good for making ice so maybe this weekend

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

groggyfrog

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:24 PM »
Sorry for obvious & sad news. WIDE OPEN.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:23 PM »
I drive by every day, it was locked up but it just froze so I don’t think it would be good for a few days at least. It was windy so it took forever to lock.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:35 AM »
Well after the snow this weekend were supposed to get some negative temps maybe and Monday is single digits. So fingers crossed

-Ryan-

groggyfrog

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:46 PM »
Drove by today. Stay off tidal coves. Be safe

Offline palmerjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Walked out from the launch ramp this morning on my way to work.  The cove is locked and ice quality is good but only about ~3 inches.  I didn't walk out very far because I was alone and had minimal safety gear.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Hopefully the snow doesn't mess it up too bad

-Ryan-

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Drove to the DMV side after work. Edges were wet but found a spot to get on. Seemed good enough at first. Took 3 hits with the Spud to break through. Started walking and I started punching through with just 2. A lot of people were checking it out from the launch. I'm sure there will be people out tomorrow but I won't be one of them. Chopped a chunk of ice out to see how thick. I'll say 3-3.5"but it wasn't super great ice.

-Ryan-

Offline CaptainMike69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Any updates on the cove especially after this weather? I saw a few guys out there on Friday but edges were still wet and most of the middle did not look safe either.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Luckily we didn't get as much snow as expected. We're expecting single digits through Tuesday so that should really help out.

-Ryan-

Offline palmerjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:21 AM »
With the rain in the forecast I'm not too hopeful.  I'll keep checking it though...

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:40 AM »
How much ice is there now?  I would think at least 6"?  This rain will just melt all of the the snow on top then re-freeze everything from Thursday night on.  I don't think we will lose too much ice.  Will have to watch the shorelines, though.  I will be checking Friday night after work.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:59 AM »
Might not be able to get on for a couple days, I'm sure the river is going to go up pretty good. But as for the ice I'm sure it will survive

-Ryan-

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Anybody know how thick it is now before the storm? I heard last week it was only 3" and even less further out.

Offline paul82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Ice is ok now (fishin today on other cove) but I think will be unfishable after rain for few days due high water level

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Ice is ok now (fishin today on other cove) but I think will be unfishable after rain for few days due high water level

If that forecast holds true all the river coves will be tough to get on. 

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Anybody been down to check the launch? Last I heard it was under water but the river has come down and is still dropping

-Ryan-

Offline palmerjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Checked it out last night - there is ice covering most of the parking lot.  With these low temps I'm not sure what to expect will happen as the water goes down...

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Thanks for the update. I plan on checking it later in the week. Just wasn't sure on parking situation

-Ryan-

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:04 PM »
I checked it on Friday night and there was 100 yards of open water at the launch.  Be careful!  The water was very high, though.  Way back into the woods on the other side.

Offline palmerjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Walked out to the first buoy that marks the mooring field.  Took 20 hits with the spud and my estimate is about 4-5 inches.  Edges were a little soft.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:29 PM »
How's the parking lot? Accessible? Thanks for the update

-Ryan-

Offline palmerjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Yup.  :tipup:

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:41 PM »
You're the man! I'll be out at sunrise Saturday morning

-Ryan-

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2019, 04:33 PM »
Was about to head to the cove when I got a text this morning that the river came up a couple feet and there's a lot of open water between shore and ice. Might be another year without fishing the cove for me with this coming weather

-Ryan-

Offline palmerjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Saw some groups on yesterday.  When I went by this morning there was one group on and 20 feet of open water to the ice...rough year. This should have been the weekend...

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Yeah I heard guys were using a 30ft extension ladder

-Ryan-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.