Author Topic: First Real Ice Fishing Rod...Wanna do it Right...Suggestions Plz  (Read 873 times)

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
Haven't did much jigging as of now. Just purchased a 13 Fishing Wicked Ice, 28 in Medium Light. Gonna throw 4 lb Trilene Fluro.  Planning on throwing a snap swivel to quick change lures.  Should I run a leader? Should I not run a snap swivel?

Targeting Bass, Perch, Crappie, Pickerel (because they always bite)  Any Suggestions would be helpful
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
If you are running flouro then you do not need a leader. I would ditch the snap swivel to present the lure on its own. One thing you can do is run a swivel a bit higher to prevent line twist but I never do this either.
Just add water.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
I run braid then snap swivel then a 6 ft leader then all my fixings at the end. Seems kind of redundant but I also connect with a slip loop at the lure. Seems a bit kludgey but keeps the swivel on the line but off my gear. If I want to bottom fish, I'll throw a rubber core above the swivel lets me have a little action off the bottom If I fish live bait off the bottom. Changing out lures and hooks in the REALLY cold can be challenging but if you want quick selection, You can always affix leaders to you favorites to save your hands buy swapping at the swivel not the lure/hook. Quick Tip for snarly mono/braid. Go buy a very small crochet hook and throw in it your lure box helps get those snug knots out quicker.
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
sounds good...Thx for the Suggestions
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
There's no "one size fits all" solution, especially if pickerel are part of your equation. Perch and crappies can be a very light rig with bass (depending on average size) a little more stout.

I get the sense that fish with teeth may not be your primary target but more a happy (or unhappy especially with 4# line) coincidence. Learn to live with the occasional bite-off if not taking adequate precautions. Of course, that usually works less well for pannies and bass. It's a trade-off.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
 esox_xtm is very on point there is no one size fits all what you got is plenty good enough for most around here because you can use heavier line or go lighter 2lb with a spring bobber spend some time watching videos find what you think you might like try  I carry as rule 4 to 5 rods with me when ice fish and run and gun as a rule most of the time I dont even set tips because they slow me down

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
Line and swivel . And get a Vexilar or other brand . Makes a world of difference seeing something coming in and chasing your lure . I won’t waste my time jigging without my Vexilar . I’ll try a hole for a minute and move to the next if I don’t see any interest there.
How are the edges ?

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
I use a snap swivel too unless it’s a really small jig, something like 1/16 ounce I’ll tie on directly. Otherwise I like the swivel to prevent line twist.

A flasher is also a game changer. It helps with jigging as well as setting tip ups if you’re trying for a certain depth.
Marking anything?

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
as my friend frank says I would rather fish without hooks than fish without my vexilar

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.