Author Topic: Sullivan Tip Down  (Read 8884 times)

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sullivan Tip Down
« on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:12 PM »
I just watched a video on photobucket of a battery operated tip down (Sullivan Tip Down).  I have to assume that it was made by one of the members here... Anyone want to claim this device or knows who made it ?  I want one..or two..

I should have saved the link as now I can't find it !!  :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sullivan Tip Down
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:13 PM »

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Very interesting design, but I doubt it would survive very long out on the ice.  Not to mention the expense of the batteries you would undoubtedly go through.

Very ingenious though!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:39 PM »
?Is this it?

http://www.outdoorlogictv.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7

I thought STD's were something to be avoided, ha.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:41 PM »
?Is this it?

Yes, that is the one...  But at $60.. I'll make my own    Thank You for finding it !!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:44 PM »

Modified.

?Is this it?

I thought STD's were something to be avoided, ha.

Offline STD Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Hi
      I'm James Sullivan I invented the Sullivan Tip Down, and would like to reply to your concerns involving the survival on the ice,this is made with a LB electric fitting and pvc pipe sealed to the weather.The battery life is 24 to 30 hours on one D cell battery the rod holder has been redesigned for this since the video you viewed.It is a very durable unit and the more people that get them the more that want them.We sold the first one at the St Paul Ice expo and sales are pretty good,these are made in the USA by real life legal citizens in Minnesota and Wisconsin, not some imported junk that drops on the ice once and dies.

http://www.sullivantipdown.com

Offline tboarder2602

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:56 PM »
James,

Cool invention.  Best part is the STD name and the "its catchy" slogan!  Good luck with sales and marketing.

-Tom

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2010, 03:47 PM »
i like tip ups better

Offline nonamers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2010, 04:11 PM »
best idea i have seen in a while. will buy 4 and let you know. how do you know you don't like something until you try. go fishing and have fun.

Offline STD Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:24 AM »
James,

Cool invention.  Best part is the STD name and the "its catchy" slogan!  Good luck with sales and marketing.

-Tom
The Slogan is              STD, you'll never know how you caught it you just did

Offline STD Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:26 AM »
best idea i have seen in a while. will buy 4 and let you know. how do you know you don't like something until you try. go fishing and have fun.

I can't wait for some feedback. Are you buying for the shack or on the ice?

Offline nonamers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:56 AM »
i will try both in and out. other than the batteries it looks great. i can remember posting on another site about the glow paint on demons and some of the responces were not so good and now everyone uses it. you don't learn by not trying it. try it and give a report good or bad. go fishing and have fun.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Nice idea but to me more of a auto jigger than a tip down.  A tip down has a balance point  and tips very easy from roughly a 75 degree angle to a point around 0 degrees where it free falls.  Just my opinion but it is way more than I want to mess with or pack out on the ice.

The other Tip Down that is a manual is more of just a rod holder that allows the rod to slightly piviot similar to the Jigger totter, or Mr. Jigger

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2012, 02:03 PM »
What would be deadly for a real tip down is some devise that would jig it about a foot down not quite to over the balance point, and let it raise back up naturally with the weight of the rod, just like how I manually jig my tip downs. But only jig it down about once a minute, they don't always want a jigging motion.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2012, 02:23 PM »
What would be deadly for a real tip down is some devise that would jig it about a foot down not quite to over the balance point, and let it raise back up naturally with the weight of the rod, just like how I manually jig my tip downs. But only jig it down about once a minute, they don't always want a jigging motion.

That would be a perfect add, just how to make it free fall would be the hard part.  I like to clean the holes often and manually raise or lower the minnow.  I would bet I catch 50% of my fish right after doing that.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2012, 01:51 PM »
@ Crappie guy I know you have your own Tip Downs but you obviously haven't tried the Sullivan Tip Down or the Sullivan Tip Drop , if you'd like to go fishing together and try my Sullivan Tip Downs and Sullivan Tip Drops. I would welcome you to try them, but don't be describing them wrong in this forum. The Sullivan Tip Down Jigs and tips down this is the latest on you tube for the powered and non powered paste the links and watch the videos

I'm not bashing your design at all, just like how mine work better.

On your tip drop video you state that a Tip Down does not stay tipped down, once mine pass the balance point, just above horizontal, they free fall and stay in the Tipped Down position.  The travel distance is much further on mine than your's giving the fish more distance to travel with the bait and time for you to get there before they spit the minnow.  This is because they sit at roughly a 75 degree angle not horizontal like yours. 

I tried to do the Keep it Simple idea on mine, they fold flat, setup easy no fiddling with balancing points, and come with the rod included ready to fish.

Would love to get together some time and we can both see the how the other one works.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:06 PM »
i did use these this past winter and caught a lot of crappie and perch. works very well and battery lasts a long time. did not use them this winter as no ice. used them in summertime and caught walleye,perch,crappie and one hugh carp. don't knock them until you try them.

Offline STD Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Nice idea but to me more of a auto jigger than a tip down.  A tip down has a balance point  and tips very easy from roughly a 75 degree angle to a point around 0 degrees where it free falls.  Just my opinion but it is way more than I want to mess with or pack out on the ice.

The other Tip Down that is a manual is more of just a rod holder that allows the rod to slightly piviot similar to the Jigger totter, or Mr. Jigger

Offline STD Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:45 AM »

If you open this link you will be able to see how many of these you can carry and set up on the ice in a 1 1/2 minutes

Sully

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:00 AM »
@ Crappie guy I know you have your own Tip Downs but you obviously haven't tried the Sullivan Tip Down or the Sullivan Tip Drop , if you'd like to go fishing together and try my Sullivan Tip Downs and Sullivan Tip Drops. I would welcome you to try them, but don't be describing them wrong in this forum. The Sullivan Tip Down Jigs and tips down this is the latest on you tube for the powered and non powered paste the links and watch the videos

A cool video and product but you 're not quite on the mark with what a normal tip down is.

A normal tip down stays down once it has hit the free fall point. The rod tip will be close to pointing straight up in the air, the tiniest pull by a fish will make the rod tip free fall, point straight down at the hole and gives the fish two or three feet of slack. One it tips down, it stays down.

What you are showing is a tip-down/rocker hybrid. You are depending in the weight of the fish to pull the rod from horizontal to almost pointing down the hole before it trips. Your product doesn't rely on gravity to pull it down all the way, you rely on the fish to pull it down all the way with the fish feeling resistance the entire time.

Again, nice product but not really a real tip down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.