Author Topic: Need help picking a hut  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Moretto

• IceShanty Rookie
Need help picking a hut
« on: Aug 10, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Hey guys I’m looking into a new ice hut. I’m a walker and usually have a buddy with me. I’m drawn between the Jason Mitchell thermal x and the Eskimo siera! I can’t decide if I want less weight or more space. What would you guys recommend? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Also if u know where I could possibly find one around this time of year. I’m from Toronto Ontario.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Need help picking a hut
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2018, 10:16 AM »
a pop up or a pull over? In a hub style a big thing I have found with many is the windows are to high when sitting down and you cant see out of it. Where I am we are allowed 5 traps so 3 or 4 are outside and I hate not being able to se them while sitting. Still can't figure out why they would be built this way, obviously not made by fisherman.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2018, 11:34 AM »
As a walker myself, I would most defiantly go for less weight. Too heavy of a hut and you will not want to drag it out. Less work, more fishing has been my mantra. Less weight also means “safer” ice. I have a Shappell WideHouse 5500 for going on 7-8 seasons and love it.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2018, 12:51 PM »
The Shappell Wide 5500 or 6500 has ideal height when sitting on 5 gallon or 6 gallon bucket inside.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2018, 11:51 AM »
If you use a smitty sled you can drag your car out with no problem. Go for what you want and quality and don't worry about weight...just build a smitty sled.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Hey guys I’m looking into a new ice hut. I’m a walker and usually have a buddy with me. I’m drawn between the Jason Mitchell thermal x and the Eskimo siera! I can’t decide if I want less weight or more space. What would you guys recommend? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Also if u know where I could possibly find one around this time of year. I’m from Toronto Ontario.

I'd say Eskimo....mainly because it seems Eskimo has quality control measures and puts out a solid product for the most part......Clam/Jason Mitchell not so much. Seems like with clam it gets to be a craps shoot on if something is wrong with it or not.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2018, 05:32 PM »
I agree I think Eskimo has best customer service

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2018, 08:40 PM »
I would say Clam Jason Mitchell.  I had nothing but crap service from Eskimo while Clam has treated me well.  The extra weight with the clam is not that big of a deal.  My Eskimo was a pain to load by myself even though it was lighter than my Clam.  Both are well made and I did like the seats of the Eskimo better.
Just my opinion

Offline Moretto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:02 AM »
Thank you everyone for the input

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:24 AM »
I went big and heavy. I had this grand vision of how nice it would be. Now when the ice is thick enough for a machine and a friend is with you its a great set up. Lets just say I had to spend more money on a lighter set up as well because I went to heavy. I have a clam x2 thermal, all my gear, and a 20 lb propane tank. I bet i'm dragging 220lbs if not more. I have dragged it by hand when I didn't feel comfortable taking the machine out, its doable but when you hit the snow drifts it kicks your but. I have almost gotten to the point of enjoying wearing my striker float suit and sitting out in the elements. I just cant wait to get back out on the ice again.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2018, 06:52 PM »
I went big and heavy. I had this grand vision of how nice it would be. Now when the ice is thick enough for a machine and a friend is with you its a great set up. Lets just say I had to spend more money on a lighter set up as well because I went to heavy. I have a clam x2 thermal, all my gear, and a 20 lb propane tank. I bet i'm dragging 220lbs if not more. I have dragged it by hand when I didn't feel comfortable taking the machine out, its doable but when you hit the snow drifts it kicks your but. I have almost gotten to the point of enjoying wearing my striker float suit and sitting out in the elements. I just cant wait to get back out on the ice again.

Lol that's when you hope early ice is completely clear ice with no snow and the sled glides on the ice.

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2018, 02:37 AM »
i recommend a shappell fx100 flip ...lightest your gonna find  40lbs,, relatively inexpensive, heavyweight fabric and can use as windbreak half up.  drags easy and i actually like the bench seat it has.  4 gallon square buckets fit perfect beneath it

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2018, 05:40 AM »
Moretto what ever your choice maybe think about building a smitty it does make a huge difference, your annual average snow fall in your area is only 48” , which isn’t much , snow is not your friend when dragging
 At my age and an annual snowfall of 143”s I try and fish smarter not harder 

Offline Lamar84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 2018, 04:29 PM »
I have a two man Eskimo. It’s great in the wind and pretty light. I have hit the ceiling more than once on hook sets. The stuff sack it comes in sucks. When it’s cold and windy getting your shelter back in there is a process. I don’t know why they didn’t make it a little over sized and put a zipper down the middle. My buddy had a 4 man clam. The door zipper broke the second season but man is that thing easy to get back in the bag and off the ice. Something to consider.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Lighter the better.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2018, 01:19 PM »
I have a two man Eskimo. It’s great in the wind and pretty light. I have hit the ceiling more than once on hook sets. The stuff sack it comes in sucks. When it’s cold and windy getting your shelter back in there is a process. I don’t know why they didn’t make it a little over sized and put a zipper down the middle. My buddy had a 4 man clam. The door zipper broke the second season but man is that thing easy to get back in the bag and off the ice. Something to consider.
Some of the artificial Christmas tree storage bags work for transporting popup shelters.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2018, 04:05 PM »
I have the eskimo i949 hub insulated and absolutely love it.  Once you figure out how to fold it up so it fits in the bag tightly it goes up and down with no issues.  We usually fish 2 adults and 2 kids with plenty of room.  3 adults can easily fish leaving room for walk way out.  If it gets windy is the only issue.  Then you have to stake it down at every hub.  If your looking for size and $ this is the best I have seen. 

Nephew has a portable otter.  It is about the same size of a portable as the eskimo.  It is warmer than the eskimo but it has issues when it gets really cold out.  The hubs over expand stretching out the material too much then the zippers no longer function as there is too much pressure on them. 

Offline Lamar84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2018, 10:38 PM »
Some of the artificial Christmas tree storage bags work for transporting popup shelters.

That’s a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2018, 10:44 PM »
The key is to put a strap around the middle.  Replace the Velcro they give you with a cheap cinch strap or a piece of paracord and you should have no trouble getting it in the bag.  I've setup and put away a 949i plenty of times by myself.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 24, 2018, 04:40 PM »
If you're walker who wants to move a lot, stay away from a hub.  You'll waste too much time during setup and tear down.  If on the other hand you stay in one place more often than not, it makes all the sense in the world to anchor your tent and carry stuff inside to get all set up...unless you end up fishing alone a lot, in which case a light flip over is a great way to go.  You're mobile and can move easily and avoid the set up and tear down chores.  If you think about it, though, it doesn't hurt to have both options ready to go as the season is brief, and you only live once.

Offline MimiCat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Aug 26, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Have an EVO1, but usually just 2 kids along for the trip. If you want more room, like for 2 adults, EVO2 might work.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 26, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Have an EVO1, but usually just 2 kids along for the trip. If you want more room, like for 2 adults, EVO2 might work.
Please update your profile with your location. Thanks in advance and tight lines this upcoming season! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 23, 2018, 10:01 PM »
Tough call. I have three huts now and each has its own purpose. The first one I got was a pop up clam, this one gets used the least, it is requires a sled and then you have to pack chair and all kinds of other stuff. The second was an otter lodge xt650, by far my favorite shack, if I had a quad or ranger to pull it regularly its is all I would ever use. Last year I got a shappell fx100 one man shack. Cheap, fairly well made, and LIGHT! I prefer otter flip overs and clam/otter popups. Shappell does make a two man flip as well, it's light and gets the job done, nothing sexy but would get you started. Get what you want to get its your life though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.