Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536781 times)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
North Idaho Ice
« on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:02 AM »
Fished Round Lake yesterday.  5" of good ice.  Caught 5 trout 12 - 14" and a dozen perch.    No one fishing Cocolalla yet.  Its frozen over but not quite safe.   They are fishing upper Twin and Lower Twin.  Lower Twin has pretty skimpy ice.  Ill wait a bit to try that one.   

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:37 PM »
I drive past Cocalla every day and have yet to see anyone on it yet.  I drove out to Hauser yesterday and people have been on it but there wasnt anyone there yesterday.  Kelso had a couple ofguys on it a week or so ago and they said the ice was about 2 1/2 in. thick.  Not enough for me.  I hear upper twin has about 5 on it.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:38 PM »
oh and the little area next to the long bridge had some dude out on it this morning.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Fished Lower Twin New Years Day morning.   5" of ice and the fishing was slow.  Blue backs were running about 10".  Couldn't get a perch to bite.   Upper Twin has 6" of good ice and they are catching small perch.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:33 PM »
I fished Kelso on Monday with no bites.  There is plenty of good ice there. 8 maybe 10 inches.  Last friday there where a few people on Coccalala. And again this morning.  So there must be enough ice there. 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Fished Round lake yesterday and caught 5 trout and 12 nice perch.  Pretty slow but steady.  One trout was 17".   Stopped by and talked to a guy fishing on Cocolalla and there was 5 to 6 inches of ice but fishing was slow.

Offline TastySalmon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2008, 11:50 AM »
Anyone know if there's safe ice in any of the bays of Priest Lake? I was thinking about slaughtering some lakers next weekend, but I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone from up there.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:47 AM »
There is 8 to 10" of ice on Cocolalla and Round lake now.   Fished Cocolalla yesterday and caught a 14" Brown a smaller Brooky and a bunch of Perch.  I culled the perch to 8" and bigger and took 35  home with me.  Fished Round lake the day befor and caught a  limit of Rainbows, but it was slow fishing.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Hey If your fishing Cocalla and and you hook a fish with an ugly stick ice rod attached to it , I would like to have it back.  it got sucked down the hole last weekend.   :o

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Ill keep an eye out for your rod.   Me and a buddy fished Cocolalla again yesterday and really slammed the perch.  We kept over 80 with nothing under 8" and the bigger ones going 9"+ .   We thru back more then we kept. 

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Does anyone have any luck fishing for Crappies or Chanel cats in North Idaho?   Hauser has some real nice ones and I hear so does Cocallala , and Fernan but you never hear of anyone ice fishing for them.  Where do they all go in the winter?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I caught a small 2 pound Channel Cat last year on Hauser thru the ice just jigging on the bottom for perch.  I saw another guy do the same the year befor.   I don't think anyone intentionally targerts cats around here in the winter.  Cocolalla, Jewel, Fernan and Hauser all have Channel Cats.  I fished Cocolalla today and caught a nice mess of perch.  The ice is about a foot thick now.........

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:37 PM »
Fished the Condo's today near the long bridge in Sand Point.   Slow fishing but ended up with about 30 perch.  6 of them went 10 inches.   

Offline MetalMurf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2008, 02:35 AM »
fished Hauser today, for 2 hours around lunch time, zero fish although they were on the sonar. good 10 inches of ice.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:42 AM »
I heard Fernan is pretty slow too.   Cocolalla seems to be the best action for  7-9" perch and a few trout.  The Condo's look like the best place to pick up some perch just a little bigger.   Some of the 10 inchers I got yesterday went 3/4 of a pound.  That last ince of two makes a lot of difference.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:15 PM »
How much of ice is there by the bridge? and how deep is the water?  How far out do you go?  And have you caught my rod at cocalalla yet ?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:57 PM »
I agree the condos produce bigger than cocolala, buddy and I brought home 100 in an afternoon, threw quite a few back. Water depth is about 4-6' and ice is foot+ I reckon. Fished Priest Lake yesterday and got two Macks 20". Went to Hill's resort and entered there, 6" of good solid ice there. Going back Sat to find some more.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:28 AM »
I haven't caught that rod yet.  Actually haven't been on the ice since the big snows.  Drove around and checked out the lakes tho...   The day I went (tues) the access to park anywhere near the condos was tough.  There was about 18" of snow on the ice.  Tough slogging.  Thought Id give the younger guys time to break trail.  Might get out there tomorrow.

Offline castmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:21 AM »
Hey guys any of you head out this weekend? Went up to Cocollala Saterday absolutly slaughtered the perch and two nice bows, none of the perch had any size to em'. However it was nice to get into some fish after the major drought of bites in hayden, avondale, and fernan. You keep talkin about the "condos" where is that I'm guessing its on Pend Oreille? Where do you acess them from?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Castmaster... How big were your perch running?    I have hit Cocolalla a couple of times this year and came home with lots of 8 to 9" perch.   Probably culled out the smaller ones 1 for every 2 caught.   If your into perch smaller then that move.  Seems I caught the best perch in 25 to 30' of water.......  How was the snow on top?  Tough to get around in?   Ill be hitting the lakes pretty good this week.

Offline castmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:36 PM »
They werent running 8 to 9 for sure more like 6 to 7, but hey you cant complain when you can bring home a bucket full to eat, (until the hundreth fillet anyways... haha). Sounds like some good advice to move to some deeper water we were only fishin around 12-15. On top the snow is more than a foot deep with about 4'' of water on top of the ice, its tough gettin out there with all the gear, but once you set up shop out there its not bad. Whats the report on Pend Oreille?

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I agree if your not catching bigger fish move because someone has mostliky caught the fat girls out of that area.  I fished Cocallala yesterday and it was miserable, the fishing wasnt bad, I brought home 15 or so that where 9 or better and a 3 lb Rainbow.  But the slush is ruthless. There must be at least 5 inches of slush on the ice.  The walking sucked.  I didnt move around too much I just went right to where I was catching them last weekend.  I stopped up on hte high way and unloaded to start walking down to the lake, but then a guy was on his way up and said there was alot of water and slush on the ice.  I thanked him and shot the bull for a couple of min. and decided to drive over to the launch where the walking would be easier. I wasnt going to tramp down the hill and then slop around is slush just to fish.  I went out to where the water is about 25 ft deep or so. It was kind of tough to get many hat where good size I prolly kept one for every 6 caught. Normaly I would have kept moving till I found the big ones but not in those conditions.  Still have caught my rod. I guess its gone for good . 

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Hey castmaster what are you fishing for on Hayden?  Pike ?  Whats the ice like out there?  Have you seenmany pike coming out of there yet ?  How many imes have you been out there?

Offline castmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Went out on hayden just one day. We were sent out there by some idiot who said the perch fishing was phenomenal. This guy obviously hadent been out there himself cause there wasnt a fish to be got. However there were quite a few pike fisherman out there they dident seem to be doing to bad talked to a few guys who had about three of them on the ice. Went out before the big snows and the ice was perfect around 10-12''

Offline MetalMurf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:50 PM »
I went to Spirit Lake yesterday, not much room to park at the boat launch. 2 feet of snow on 8" of water/slush on the ice. Damn near had a heart attack dragging the sled out 200 feet. Conditions on the ice were terrible, maybe thats why I was the only idiot out there. I fished for only 15 minutes because i didnt like standing in the water. A friend showed up with a snowmobile. We attached the sled, got on board and promptly got stuck. Spent 2 hours there for nothing.  >:(

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Slush fishing makes me mad!!!! Went to Preist Lake yesterday, 1 19" and 1 that got away, oh yeah, broke 2 reels. Guess I'll just load up on the Perch on the Pend. Any body no where two get big rainbows? I heard Antelope?

Offline castmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:40 PM »
Where is the best place to fish for perch on th Pend?

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2008, 10:17 AM »
Anybody here ever ice fish Rose Lake in Shoshone Cty ? I used to hear of big Crappie through the ice there years ago, but I can't find anyone whos tried it recently.
A buddy & I drug the gear in on a sled behind a snowmobile on to freeman lake (near oldtown) two days ago, and caught a limit of nice trout, and some small bass and bluegill. There was enough snow on top of the slush, that you could stay dry with snow shoes.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:08 AM »
Anyone fishing in north Idaho?  I tried to go last Sat.  but with the water and slush made it a mess so I didn't even try....  Any lakes still firm on top?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Well blueduck, tried preist lake again and it was sketchy, won't do that again until it gets super cold. There was a guy by the condo's today, looked like you could stand without falling through. I might try tomorrow, ate all my perch already.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.