New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Barge Canal: Herkimer little falls area  (Read 4472 times)

Offline lewisr993

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Barge Canal: Herkimer little falls area
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:50 AM »
i was across the humane society about 2 weeks ago and I had 14 inches. all ice, no snow or slush great walking.  The warm period was a blessing!
Flyin' Ryan

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:20 PM »
fished by the humaine society 2nite from 3 till 6. 3 other groups out but didnt see them catching anything. I must of been in the right spot because i caught 3 smallmouth 3 perch 1 white bass 1 rock bass and 1 17" walleye that i gave to an older man with a cane and his son that had been out for 3 hours and didnt even get a flag. Found out they didnt have sinkers on there tip-ups so minnows were most likely staying on top. Also let them use my auger because there blades were so bad it must of took 15 min to drill a hole. Water was real cloudy so i was surprised to catch as many fish.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:36 PM »
how much ice across from the humane society?

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:06 PM »
i would say anywhere from 12 to 18". Maybe 5" of clear ice on bottom. I wouldnt go near where either creek comes in because there was open water there after the warm days. Ice looks good there just dont no if i would trust it. Just follow the tracks if you go there

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:32 PM »
another good day then nmadness. no eyes for me this year so could use some tips there. nice variety of fish ur catchin. kinda funny how the right spot can change over the months/years. been focussing on finessing the panfish(or just tryin) moreso this year than previous and dont think i ve ever jigged up a keeper eye. got myself a digital scale and $30 of jigs etc tonite at gander . was hoping to get the claw type but had to settle for the hook. lil more accuracy for catch and release etc. looks like a trip to nhampshire(kids ski trip) will delay my ny fishing till sunday. of course i m takin my stuff. i m about 10 min from my fishin spot in marcy. many flags and tite lines.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:50 AM »
huntnfishz- only have caught 4 walleye this year. The one yesterday was on a tip-up with medium shiner. I no there is a lot of walleye in there cause i catch them in the summer. Havent tried the night fishing so that might be what im doing wrong. Went out for couple hours this morning but only had 2 flags with no takers. Managed to jig up 2 sunnies 1 rock bass and 1 perch. Oh well. Was better then sitting home

Offline lewisr993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Damn, most I caught down there was 2 perch!  I'm likely done with the canal for a while. I got a job in Massachusettes in a hatchery so I'll be moving.  Word has it fishing sucks out there, and I believe it. We're spoiled in new york with all the lakes and rivers.  I'm going to miss it for sure. Fishing the Cobleskill area, possibly Otsego Saturday.
Flyin' Ryan

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:24 PM »
hope you find a good spot to fish in mass lewis. Sorry you couldnt get into the fish on the canal. There hit and miss but usually start hitting good this time of year.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 26, 2011, 10:50 AM »
is anyone going out on the canal today? thinking of going out but havent fished there on the ice just looking for some advice or direction.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:26 AM »
wont be out this weekend but it dont really matter where you fish. Not really much structure. Water is only 7' deep by humaine society and 10' deep by lock 18.  I myself prefer to fish along the north bank. Good luck

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:22 PM »
up here in marcy 9-12 ft of water is good. no electronics so not sure on the structure but i always search for drop offs. hey nmadness important business? weather looks great winds light. poked some holes in the conn. river ystrday. interesting to fish w current. not a bite out there so back out tom. for a few fish

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:34 PM »
well my brother and i were finally able to fish across from the humane society a couple times this week. one time early afternoon and once late afternoon until well after dark. the early afternoon day we cought a 2 pound small mouth 4 perch and 6 crappie and tonight was the after dark day and all we cought was i bluegill. i was wondering is the bite generaly better in the morning? i figured after dark would be good for waleye but nothing tonight.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Only fished dark one time this year. Caught 1 walleye and 1 perch. Good luck with them walleye. I no they are there but there just hard to find

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:43 PM »
nice day up in marcy. fished 3-dark. got pick-21" and a perch on tip ups. jigging-18" pick, 14" lg mouth and kept 2 perch, few sm perch tossed back. had 2 tip ups stripped and one go off 6 times. think i got into the small perch today. no set pattern w the jigs. gold castmaster w minnow head, bloodworm jig w maggott, and blue fish shaped with min tail all caught fish but none was hot. 3 steel leader set ups produced nothing. walkin was a lil tougher today, had the dog-who is now snoring on the couch-haul w me a ways. watch those creeks running in.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Feb 28, 2011, 05:27 AM »
Fished at the pull off on Saturday and stayed till it was dark and didnt mark or catch a thing... >:(
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 28, 2011, 07:36 PM »
rdacker i ve noticed a bit of a pattern of having more success around my tip ups. compared to the two other guys i was with. i use scent and dont smoke. now i m sure there s some people spit tobacco juice on their lures and do just fine. just mho. i m down to drillin two holes at a time, its tough but i keep movin too. been skunked at oneida 2x not even a nibble.

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:34 PM »
got out of work early and heded to marcy. put out 5 tip ups and jigged hard into the nite. 2 flags 2 fish. nothin jigging. slow but nice nite and it was nt raining  :) found 5" of white ice where a creek runs in. few seeps opening up along the edges. ice was dry(no slush pockets) all the way down that helped drillin. the main ice will be there for awhile just keep an eye out for the exceptions. ice was smooth w patches of snow that were melting. prob b slick tomorrow. dont always trust the weatherman look at the radar and  make ur own decision. electronics won tonite he jigged up 4. slowest day of year for all that were out there. but for me still a good day. prob try different ice tomorrow. doin anything down that way nmadness

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2011, 11:24 AM »
went out yesterday and got 1 nice walleye with a few perch and a few white bass. Went out this morning and got another walleye a few more perch a rock bass and a few white bass. Was good from 7 till 8:30 then shut off. Lots of guys at the pull off by humaine society on my way back through. Ice was good. Getting a few puddles on shore but not doing any damage yet. No one at lock 18 but me and my uncle past 2 days. Surprised i havnt seen anyone there

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 05, 2011, 09:07 PM »
well ur still hittin them down there nmadness. gone a bit south up here by lock 20. fished 2-6 today. sheltered from the wind and a very brief shower-weather was nice. 3 perch 1 sm pick. was slow. perch defn preferred sm minnows. long thin ones in their bellies. some bugs were hatchin out there black w wings. some went down the holes as the water was running good down in. ice was different by nine mile. 6-8 in of white ice, 6" of slush then 5" of black ice. i got about 150 yds from where 9 mile dumps in and drilled down thru the first layer and heard a crack. did nt finish the hole. there seemed to be more water on it in that spot. later back the other way and near north edge i heard a softer crack when i punched thru.  relieving pressure? the ice and snow were melting like it was raining. its sayin 48 here now w a good south wind. the ice wont be be gone tom but they ll be some big drain holes. bring some picks if venture out. nice to meet u out there rob and ur friend

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:37 PM »
went out tonite just to check the ice. parked at the oriskany pull off(which was full saturday) and walked-on land-to where 9 mile dumps in. ice was fine to walk on and there was one fisherman down in the bay. bout 4" of snow with just a bit of slush. prob be a lil sticky dragging a sled. wont take much for the snow to melt. once it is it ll be easier to read the ice. u ll need snowshoes if u wanna break trail. if u have nt been to the lock 20 area bring a spud

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:40 PM »
not so sure about down here. Water level came up at least 2'. Not sure how that shore ice is. And we got 20" in that storm. Kinda makes me nervous

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:06 PM »
heded out tom pm. soon as i can scoot out of wk. bringin an umbrella. because of the spillways on either side the ice/water fluctuates less above lock 20. but it does feel like we re runnin out of time. a friend up in adrndacks says its easy walkin to jump on either caroga

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:06 PM »
i would like to try the caroga tourny this sunday. But got a feeling weather isnt gonna let that happen. Havnt been out since saturday. And since i have to replace a power stearing line in my truck 2maro i might not get out again this year. Just hope once it goes it goes. Then i can get the boat out.

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:39 PM »
went out last thursday 3-10 and today. pretty slow both days. the 2 crappie were 12-13. but 2 fish for 3 guys jigging and a bunch of tip ups out is slow. water was pretty cloudy and lots of holes from last weekend were open. canal has only gone up n down few inches. water needs to clear up or u can search for it. broken up all the way across where creek flows to the spillway. access from 49 still ok. still nice to get out weather was good and dogs had fun. heard there s fair amt of slush(12 in) up in adirondacks. 

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:53 PM »
if you had some long planks you would be ok here. But i prefer to not do that so i have not been out for a week and am proly done. Maybe as the years go on and i become more addicted to our fine sport maybe i will become a little more careless in the conditions in which i fish

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2011, 10:29 PM »
went out today where the barges r above lock 20. had to try one more time. got out about 15 feet and the 4" of slush got me too nervous. sink down pretty good on each step. also had the long pole w me. noticed w the late ice a long pole can keep u away from thin ice. seems to be over on this stretch of the canal. not much open water either. on to the next season.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Mar 18, 2011, 01:07 PM »
Just drove past the pull off and a lot of open water there....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.