Author Topic: Quad Tracks  (Read 5543 times)

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
Quad Tracks
« on: Aug 14, 2012, 04:41 PM »
I am looking at Tatou 4s tracks for my Yamaha Rhino side by side.  Any comments from experience on how these run in snow?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Quad Tracks
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2012, 05:37 PM »
I played with the idea for a short time. They will go over/through any amount of snow you want them too.

The conclusion I came to.... It's cheaper to buy a nice used 2up snowmobile.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Skipper,

I can carry a passenger comfortably and all our gear in the Rhino without hauling a sled.
 Yes the tracks are $4500.00 or so. Are they worth it?  Do they work well?  I've only seen the tracks
 on a quad running on a lake so I have not knowledge how good they are.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2012, 06:12 PM »
They will go through just about anything. I gave it serious thought and played with them at a dealership. Does your utv have power steering? They are truly awesome.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2012, 06:17 PM »
I was looking at mattracks...

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2012, 06:25 PM »
Tom,
 FISHFORPIKE and rickl1968 both have tracked quads, give them a shout. They can answer a lot of questions for you.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:15 PM »
The Rhino is a side by side.  They don't have power steering.
The only  a portion of the  front track of the Tatou ride on the ice/ground for ease of turning.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Make sure you do a test ride before you pony up. The steering was brutal on the Polaris Ranger I was playing with. I know some of the Yamaha ATVs had power assist steering, I thought maybe the UTVs did too. I am 6'1'' 230 and considered freakishly strong for my size. Those tracks were a chore for me to steer after a few minutes. Like I said though, the ones I was looking at were a different brand. These may have fixed the problem.

The only downsides were price vs a snowmobile and the steering thing, otherwise, they were freaking awesome! There was NO stopping the thing!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2012, 04:38 AM »
Hey Tom,
I have a Tatou track system on my Polaris 550XP.  No experience with them on the Rhino.  I would definitely go for power steering, although I don't have it.
They are the greatest thing on snow and ice, and in mud.  Steering is tough if the going is in tight manuevering spaces, especially on bare ground.  Snow is not nearly so bad.  Still, I would not give them up on my ATV for anything.  They "stay on top" of most anything but water.  My 550 with tracks is unbelievable in deep powder snow; I don't think there is any snow condition that will stop it.  I've had it on over 3ft of fresh fluffy, dry snow and it would leave an imprint about 4" deep.  Snowmobiles were a no go that day.  I have never been stuck but am prepared with a winch, shovel and other towing straps.  The machine will be one ugly deal if it gets stuck, I'm sure.  Power is not an issue with the Tatou system either, they provide the proper gearing (drive sprokets size) for the engine size being used.
I looked at and test drove 4 different systems before settling on the Tatou system.  In my mind, they are the best all season track.  I run the tracks from October to May then switch back to the wheels and tires for the summer (I do a little trail riding with a club).
Spend some time looking at teh many videos on Youtube.  Lots of good information there and tips on proper driving techniques - Dos and Don't dos for tracks are a must know.
I'll say this - if you get a set you will be impressed with the performance and be happy.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2012, 10:30 AM »
There is no power steering on my Rhino.  The Youtube videos are great.  Great demos of the machines and wonderful scenery.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline rabcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I had them on my 2005 rhino, Had to replace all the bearing after each season. But would go any where. I am happier with my snow sled, only for the resson that I like to move a a lot and fish the chanal. I have a new 825i Gator with full heated cab and not in the market for tracks. Just my oppinion, put the 4000 in a good used 4 stroke snow sled. But U will have a lot of fun with the tracks, Max speed is about 15 mph and like it's gas . Did rise it up about 4'' , takes about 1 hour to install .  And are ruff on frozen ground . But if u are planning on towing a hard shanty or anything heavy it will do it. I towed a Kubota side x side through 2' of snow that kept getting hung up in the deep snow it had tire on it. I was towing it around like a trail groomer !!! ;D

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:25 PM »
i relly wanted tracks for my utv I was going to go with Mattracks theyre quiet a bit more then the tatu system but look alot better built and with the suspension built into them should ride and last better i decided not to order them yet though cuz the last few winters tracks have not been needed because of the lack of snow and the mattracks for my gator they said would add about 6" more clerance

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Have the Tatou 4s on Ranger 800.  Have carbide studs for slick ice.  Goes thru deep (  16" ) slush no prob.  Tows an 2000 lb. hardside like it is not even there.  Takes less than an hour to switch to the wheels.  Also the Tatou 4s do not void your warranty if run on anything but snow or ice.  Worthwhile investment.   kdcon

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2012, 05:56 PM »
santa can bring me one of them lol, nice ride there kdcon.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2012, 07:05 PM »
santa can bring me one of them lol, nice ride there kdcon.

X2!!!
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:49 AM »
 Thanks.  Really like it.  Was all done with the long range high speed sled riding and wanted something better suited for fishing and back country riding off trail.  Was worried about the tracks in slush as not much out there does slush well.  With the sled you could power up and blow thru it ( just dont stop ).  The Ranger w/ tracks has the power but not the speed.  Went into 16" of slush and the tracks just went down to hard ice and kept on going.  Plenty of room w/ bed, racks & cab to haul all the gear.  When not going to the hardside just park out of the wind, heated cab, tailgate down, cookstove on tailgate good to go.  Like a mobile hardside  ;)  kdcon

2011 Ranger 800 EPS, Tatou 4S Tracks w/ Maxigrip Studs, Dual Oydessy Batteries, Hellroaring Isolator,Universal Heater, Warn XT40 Reciever Mount Winch, Warn HIDs, Toolboxes by K&W, Polaris LED Headlite Kit, Dual LED Worklites, Alternator

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.