The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: northern wisconsin reports  (Read 81652 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: northern wisconsin reports
« Reply #90 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Thanks for the report 52! Geez, -17, I thought Al Gore invented global warming. Where the heck is that! Glad there's not a lot of slush (me hate  :%$#!:). Nice "stripers", Gogebic rules!

Oh yeah, love the Kryptec BDs!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Thanks for the report 52.  Did you only get the 3 on Gogebic?  Would love the personal best, but to suffer through the cold and hire a guide for 3, might have me second guess that one on my bucket list.  Glad you got up there and braved the cold.  Ice thickness increase is amazing...especially with snow cover.  Good to hear.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #92 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:17 PM »
I caught 8 total. Tossed back 5, kept my two biggest and the third you guys see sacrificed himself. One of our guides only got two, another client got 5 over 12 in the first 30 minutes we were out.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:43 AM »
Cool.  Thanks again for the report.  It would be awesome to see one of those in person.

Fs

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #94 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:17 AM »
I honestly thought I caught a nice walleye when I got the first one. You don't catch many, but the chance to catch 13-14-15" fish is worth the low numbers. I'm far from a Perch jerker, I just want big ones for a mount.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #95 on: Jan 24, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Heading back up next tuesday for a really long weekend. How are you guys doing up there?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #96 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I was @ 3 Lakes last w/e. 14" of ice and no slush. Nice fishing. That said lots of water came up thru the holes I drilled and after this past snowfall I expect that will change.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #97 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:45 AM »
I was @ 3 Lakes last w/e. 14" of ice and no slush. Nice fishing. That said lots of water came up thru the holes I drilled and after this past snowfall I expect that will change.

I don't think we got the snow we could have up in Land O, but I'm sure there's gonna be a bit of slush. I'm seeing another temp drop, which sucks.

Offline jrodm13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:26 AM »
I don't think we got the snow we could have up in Land O, but I'm sure there's gonna be a bit of slush. I'm seeing another temp drop, which sucks.

Heading up to the area tonight.  I'll see if I can get on here and post some conditions while i'm up there, otherwise it may have to wait until Sunday/Monday.  Sounded as though they got 10" of snow in the last storm that went through.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #99 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:44 AM »
JR....any ice report?

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Washburn and rusk county lakes had about 6-8" inches of slow with another 3" of slush before hitting the good ice. Lake traffic wasn't bad with 4wd.
Da Pack!

Offline jrodm13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:44 AM »
JR....any ice report?

We were fishing up around the Phelps area... Plenty of ice for truck traffic.  Definitely running into pockets of slush, not too much for the truck, but it was a real pain to try walking through and hole hop.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #102 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:46 PM »
I was out around Hayward yesterday drove out on a good 15” found no slush what so ever. I think all the snow missed us. Maybe 3” - 4” of hard crusty snow. Fished about 4 hours caught 11 keeper crappie a nice meal.

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:14 PM »
OK 52..... I don’t live up that way where we keep ice/snow that long and I gotta say, that quad with the tracks is nothing short or AWESOME!!
God Bless the USA and all those who serve in her Armed Forces...

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #104 on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Well, I'm back from a week up in Land O Lakes. I gotta be honest and say I did not catch one walleye. I fished 4 days/evenings out of the 5 I was up and simply put...it was the worst fishing I've ever seen. I went to all my normal spots and a couple of new ones. Jigged up a few nice perch, but that wasn't what I was after. I thought the weather was odd over Christmas, but this was even worse. Started out at 20 on Tuesday with 20-30 mph winds and snow (1-2), Wed was 32 and 20mph winds and snow (1-3), Thursday, -3 with 30-40mph gusts, friday was 5 with a steady 10, Saturday was a snow storm with light winds (5-6) and temps about 12.

Slush conditions were iffy to start, but once we had a couple of nights of -12 and some more snow, I didn't see any slush after Wed. Ice was a good 15" with about 3-4" on top that was the frozen slush.

Played with the Helix a bunch, drilled a ton of holes with the KDrill and did some jigging with a new stick from Marc at Elk River Custom Rods....oh, and I drank a bunch of Dragon's Milk and Rocky's Revenge.

I guess that's fishing and thankfully not at work.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #105 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:46 AM »
I was out yesterday on a 900 acre lake near Hayward had 22” of ice from the bottom of ice to the water line. No slush maybe 5” of snow on top. I think the winds have blown most of the snow off. Fishing was very slow, 2 of us caught 2 crappie 10”, and 13” we only fished about 3 hours in the afternoon. The cold is still here had to fish inside a popup, highs in the single digits, lows below zero. In fact I had  minus -20* this morning. We are nearing the mid winter period, tough slow fishing, fish moving to deep water. The smaller shallow lakes are about done do to low oxygen, unless there is some type of current from creek inlet and outlet.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #106 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Game fish ends on March 4th, we have less than a month for inland lakes. Even this some of this extreme cold up north, the season is passing by pretty quickly.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #107 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:46 PM »
I get a couple/three days on Plum Lake this weekend. Back to regroup then we've got a sleeper on LBDN last weekend of the month. Probably find some tippy action for pike in a slough somewhere or tipdowns for crappies in March.

By the second week in April I'll be in the boat lookin for walleyes on the Wolf. First Saturday in May it's game on for everything if you know where to go...

Still, it does go fast.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #108 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:48 PM »
Im heading back up in two weeks for a long weekend, one day we're going back to Gogebic, then hopefully back up again March 13 through the 15th to close Michigans game fish on the Cisco Chain.

Depending on the ice, Im considering a panfish trip on Palmer early April as well. Then, it'll be the opener. I used to do a lot of DePere and the Wolf river fishing, but got soured on the crowds.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #109 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Unless we get a real big warm up looks like we will be ice fishing here well into April. We already have surpassed the ice thickness of last winter and it is only beginning of February. I better start looking for my auger extension. Minus -13* again this morning.

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:37 PM »
Big warm up is on the way, at least for West Michigan's lower peninsula
I will be up in northern Wisconsin weekend of March 10th
Hopefully ice will hold out.
Till then - Cheers

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #111 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Heading back up on Thurs am. Looks like good weather...upper 20's, low 30's, light winds and not much in the way of snow. But that could all change by tomorrow am

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #112 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:30 AM »
So much for Weather.com. Got up to Land O Lakes on thursday morning. Temps were cool, but it was sunny and made it to about 30. Had no issues with slush, fishing was slow, but we did get a few nice Perch on tip-ups and jigging. Ice was about 24", KDrills had no issues. Thursday night we picked up a pizza at Bent's Camp, by the time we got it home about 9:00, it was starting to snow. Got up at 5:30 to head up to Gogebic and it was a blizzard. Ended up with about 8", Bergland MI got about 12". Perch were slow up there with each of the 4 guys in my party only coming up with a 13" as the largest. Temps up there made it into the low 30's on friday. Nobody is driving out on Gogebic and ATVs without tracks are having a hard time. plenty of slush and heaves, be careful out there.

Went back to the Cisco Chain on Saturday, warm temps, about 36, but got very windy. We got to Perch over 12" on flags, 4 eyes all over 16 and a total of about 16 flags. As the winds picked up we checked the forecast.....WINTER WEATHER WARNING FOR VILAS. Great, more snow. Woke up Sunday to come home and found another 6" with gusts up to 40. Slush became a bit of a problem after getting that 6-8 on friday morning.

Went home via Madison and hit the fishing show. Overall, not great, but not bad. Driving out of Vilas/Oneida Cos two hours takes you totally out of winter. Plenty of ice up there to keep guys fishing till at least the end of March. Planning a panfish trip now the first week in April for pre-spawn Perch I think.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #113 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:19 AM »
We got back to back snow storms here and now a auger extension is just about mandatory unless you want to shovel out each spot you want to drill. Truck and atv’s are going to have a major problem trying to get out unless someone plows a ice road. Now calling for some mid day temps near 40* things are going to really get sloppy, and a royal pain in the ass trying to walk in it. Thank god I have a snowmobile with a good tow behind sled. Even with the snowmobile I think I am still going to have to blast a trail out first before hauling all the stuff out. The only good thing is it will keep a lot of people off the ice, should have most lakes to myself. I just pray the slush doesn’t get to bad.
6 more days of walleye season left ends March 4th. Then looking forward to a nice long late ice panfish season.
Btw my friend from Chicago said the same thing, it is like a different world up here he said they are in full spring mode and we are still in mid winters grip.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #114 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Not WI but spent the w/e near Escanaba MI. 24" ice with truck travel all over LBDN. Got the big blow Sat pm with ice and 7 - 8" snow. Got off the lake OK but dicey in spots with the fresh drifts of wet/heavy. Get around Green Bay and for sure by Oshkosh it's like spring. Still plenty of winter North.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #115 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:19 AM »
I went to the fishing show in Madison on Sunday and the Boulder Junction Tourism people were really pushing ice fishing/snowmobiling hard in their booth. At 43°, not many folks were listening.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #116 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:30 AM »
I understand the anticipation of warm weather and open water, but this coming late ice panfish season is hard to beat for fish size and numbers. Really my favorite time ice fishing besides first ice walleye. Travel on the ice can be difficult and sloppy but the warmer temps, and longer days are really nice. The sun was still up yesterday at 5:00pm I can go ice fishing now right after work and still get in 2 good hours.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #117 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:56 AM »
After having a sorta successful Perch season, I'm stoked for late season, pre-spawn, Perch.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #118 on: Mar 03, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I was out yesterday had 25” top 4” was white ice bottom 21” still good hard ice. Had a little trouble driving out f150 got stuck twice in deep snow drift had to shovel out. 2 of us caught 20 nice crappie in about 2-1/2 hours.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #119 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Just when the snow has gone down enough to drive out on the lakes again we are expecting 5” - 8” of snow late this afternoon. If we do get that much it is really going to be a mess trying to get back out on the lakes. The slush in spots was already bad. I didn’t need them yet but I brought  2 big wooden pallets in the back of my truck to stand on if the slush water was bad. That deep of snow with slush underneath is hard even with a snowmobile. The only salvation is that it is going to get cold again for 3 or 4 days after the snow, Tuesday night back down near zero here. If I beat down some trails with the snowmobile they should freeze up good. I hope.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.