The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: northern wisconsin reports  (Read 81650 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: northern wisconsin reports
« Reply #390 on: Dec 03, 2020, 07:25 PM »
St. Germain, Eagle River, Three Lakes: decent 2 inches most places. Some of it good enough to slide out on, chip a hole and not have water puke back up on the ice. Not great but there are some opportunities. Another week we should be at a good 4 - 6 inches!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline fish_disco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #391 on: Dec 12, 2020, 05:57 PM »
Altoona and Wissota - places with 3 inches and some places nearing 5. Recent warm weather made the ice weak but a good cold snap and we're officially in business. Some people out 100 feet from the beach on Altoona(word of mouth) and I plan on going and checking tomorrow.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #392 on: Dec 15, 2020, 11:31 AM »
Ice has been okay. Have a few spots  5+ that I have been hitting. Other spots are not so good.

Last night and today should really help build another 2-4'' in the sketchy spots.

Be safe, I was walking on 4-6 pokes of the spud and all of a sudden 1 poke. An inch of snow makes it difficult right now to indicate thinner ice.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #393 on: Dec 17, 2020, 07:31 AM »
There will be ATVs on the ice around Hayward this weekend. Saw snowmobiles on several lakes. I had 4-6" on the 3 lakes I fished yesterday. Just hope the snow holds off.
Da Pack!

Offline pdsniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #394 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:14 PM »
That's great news, thanks for the report.  I'm headed up in less than two weeks and was starting to worry.  Thanks again.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
2021 - 22 ICE SEASON CANCELLED!!!
« Reply #395 on: Dec 03, 2021, 06:28 AM »
Well, might not be any ice fishing at all this year north of 8. End of November looked promising:

Since then there's been really no more ice (was < 2") but 4 - 5" of wet heavy snow on top. Then 3 - 4 days of thawing until the whole thing became a slushy mess. This is yesterday afternoon:

Now for the disaster part. Saturday into Sunday the forecast is 6 - 8" of snow followed by not a single day above freezing for the next 5 days. AND another potential 3" of snow at the end of that.

Might be over before it starts. I have zero hope of being able to peel all that off and start over.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #396 on: Dec 03, 2021, 06:48 AM »
Not good for sure. Fortunately here in the mitten state we have not seen the big snow...yet. Apparently their future weather models have been wrong...colder than normal temps and less precipitation WAS predicted for the upper midwest/ Great Lakes regions this winter.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: 2021 - 22 ICE SEASON CANCELLED!!!
« Reply #397 on: Dec 03, 2021, 03:00 PM »
Well, might not be any ice fishing at all this year north of 8. End of November looked promising:

Since then there's been really no more ice (was < 2") but 4 - 5" of wet heavy snow on top. Then 3 - 4 days of thawing until the whole thing became a slushy mess. This is yesterday afternoon:

Now for the disaster part. Saturday into Sunday the forecast is 6 - 8" of snow followed by not a single day above freezing for the next 5 days. AND another potential 3" of snow at the end of that.

Might be over before it starts. I have zero hope of being able to peel all that off and start over.

I'm really really starting to be happy over buying a new long track sled over another ATV.

Offline justin p

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2021 - 22 ICE SEASON CANCELLED!!!
« Reply #398 on: Dec 03, 2021, 04:16 PM »

10 below up here Monday night should help some.
It'll still build ice under that.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #399 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:28 AM »
Snow, cold snap, then a warm up into the upper 30's and 40's should maybe level things back out.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #400 on: Dec 08, 2021, 04:56 PM »
Let’s hope 52.  I’m not able to get up until New Years.  I can only hope things tighten up enough for machines by then.

Fs

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #401 on: Dec 10, 2021, 05:21 AM »
Oh goody! Another 7" +/- tonight and Wednesday it'll be 51 and rain...  >:(

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #402 on: Dec 10, 2021, 06:38 AM »
Hey Drifter...how bigs that cabin?  :whistle:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline joekrz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CONSCIOUSNESS: The annoying time between fishing
« Reply #403 on: Dec 15, 2021, 10:29 AM »
I've been out 3 times already.  ~6" of ice in the areas I frequent.     A little slushy in areas after the weekend storm.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #404 on: Dec 15, 2021, 05:01 PM »
Anyone in or near the Minocqua area?  Besides the 15" snow what are we looking at?   I'll be in Harshaw Saturday just to check on my cottage and will check ice on Alva, but curious?
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline GB-Dan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #405 on: Dec 15, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Finally, back on the board after a decade long sidetrack. ;D

Used to be a Lanke Linker...but the place is over run by guys looking for hand outs and mentioning any spot gets it pounded....plus its gotten pretty PC over there from when it first started up.

Living in Harrison now, just south of Rhinelander.

Report?
havent been on ice fishing yet, the lakes i like are bigger and/or deeper water lakes.
been checking a dozen or so lakes from Lk Alice up to N.Twin.
they were just about ready to fish, then that heavy snow crushed them.
the warm up the last 3 days looks to have melted all the snow and we get a reset, starting next week.

Yes, there are (were up till this warm) places to fish, but its been pretty uneven and im not one to push out on 2 inches of ice anymore.

Lambasters Lodge Buck and Musky camp.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #406 on: Dec 19, 2021, 04:32 PM »
Three Lakes has a happy update. When I left after the second significant snow on top of barely 2" of sketchy ice I was ready to call it a season as I HATE slush. However things changed for the better. Warm weather melted most if not all the snow on the lake (at least out in front) and cold weather behind has a nice solid 6".

That warm weather did bring some pretty good wind. High gust here measured 76 mph with sustained @ 35 - 40. Did some damage too. Lots of stuff down.

Any dead branches are now on the ground:

But the highlight was the 120 foot pine that uprooted on the lakeshore:

Pretty impressive stuff.  :o Someone I know is gettin' a new boat lift  ;)2 It was so close to crushing my neighbors boat house half a dozen or so big branches were bowed up against it.

Offline joekrz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CONSCIOUSNESS: The annoying time between fishing
« Reply #407 on: Dec 20, 2021, 10:08 AM »

been checking a dozen or so lakes from Lk Alice up to N.Twin.
they were just about ready to fish, then that heavy snow crushed them.
the warm up the last 3 days looks to have melted all the snow and we get a reset, starting next week.

Lake Alice has been fishable since Thanksgiving weekend.  There was 4" of ice on it that weekend and I've been there twice after that including after the storm.  Was a little slushy after the storm, but still good solid ice under the snow.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #408 on: Dec 22, 2021, 07:04 AM »
Three Lakes has a happy update. When I left after the second significant snow on top of barely 2" of sketchy ice I was ready to call it a season as I HATE slush. However things changed for the better. Warm weather melted most if not all the snow on the lake (at least out in front) and cold weather behind has a nice solid 6".

That warm weather did bring some pretty good wind. High gust here measured 76 mph with sustained @ 35 - 40. Did some damage too. Lots of stuff down.

Any dead branches are now on the ground

But the highlight was the 120 foot pine that uprooted on the lakeshore:

Pretty impressive stuff.  :o Someone I know is gettin' a new boat lift  ;)2 It was so close to crushing my neighbors boat house half a dozen or so big branches were bowed up against it.

I was greeted with a text message from my neighbor thursday morning......then I drove up that afternoon. HWY 45 was closed 2 miles out of Three Lakes because of a "war zone" created by a microburst.
I faired ok, lost a roof vent on the cabin, but alls good with the brand new roof I had installed in October.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #409 on: Dec 22, 2021, 08:05 AM »
I had a couple lights tore off and my grill was launched almost into my driveway.  I did have to get out of my SUV to cut some trees so I could get into my driveway..Harshaw/Minocqua area from last Wednesday's 12-15 Storm.  I also decided I better go up Friday to inspect the property.  I honestly was more worried about the power being off and no heat.

actually tore the box off my fireplace

Tore the entire light off the face of the house.

The good news is.....

ICE

Offline SlabHammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #410 on: Dec 28, 2021, 09:14 PM »
Came up to Barron county for a few days. Ice is anywhere from 7 to 11 inches. Slow bite this past weekend, did good on perch today. Nothing big but good quantity. If you're close check out lake chetac. Every lake I saw has atvs on it.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #411 on: Dec 29, 2021, 07:48 AM »
Came up to Barron county for a few days. Ice is anywhere from 7 to 11 inches. Slow bite this past weekend, did good on perch today. Nothing big but good quantity. If you're close check out lake chetac. Every lake I saw has atvs on it.

Appreciate that update!  I'm heading up tomorrow or the butt crack of dawn Friday to the Minocqua area and will give a snapshot of ice depth once I get my tip-ups set  ;D :tipup:

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #412 on: Jan 04, 2022, 04:15 PM »
Fished the Cisco Chain and Lake Gogebic last week. Did ok on eyes, mostly really small guys. Perch on Gogebic were not chasing wigglers. We marked a ton of fish on the LiveScope, but only managed a pair of 13"+.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #413 on: Nov 23, 2022, 05:08 PM »
Anyone able to get out yet?  I want to live vicariously for a couple more weeks.  Winterizing the boat next week, and looks like starting Dec 1, we’ll be making some ice that will hopefully stay.

Fs

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #414 on: Nov 24, 2022, 03:46 PM »
I'm sure guys are out up north.  Someone was out in La Crosse already as the spot I checked on tuesday had holes drilled.  Would be going tomorrow but this warm snap has us boned us.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #415 on: Nov 26, 2022, 03:40 PM »

They have to be let the cat out of the bag N. W.     

Offline Cleared4Takeoff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #416 on: Nov 27, 2022, 09:41 AM »
From a southern wisco-nite, need to hear these good ice stories to tide me over.  :tipup: :tipup:
Contact Departure

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #417 on: Nov 30, 2022, 04:51 PM »
Had a pretty good change over night. At Three Lakes we got barely a dusting of snow (which is good) following a few days of melting from 40s/50s. Shoreline here was breaking up yesterday. Now windy and getting colder by the minute. Wake up temp was the high of the day at 20F, now 17F with a wake up temp tomorrow in the low single digits. Back up to low 30s on Friday but back to 20s and low teens over night for the next week.

I believe they got more snow, certainly west and north. I heard up to six inches. Not a deal breaking slush maker (yet) but I like a good base of great ice before the big snows come.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #418 on: Dec 15, 2022, 04:21 PM »
I was out on the Cisco Chain this past weekend. Fishing was slow, but the conditions were amazing. 6-8" of ice. Got a couple of eyes and an accidental, but quickly released, Musky. Marked a ton of fish with my buddy's LiveScope.

Offline btwildfood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #419 on: Dec 16, 2022, 11:36 AM »
The Holcombe flowage and surrounding region has had walkable ice since deer hunting(2022) in some spots; most areas now, and the panfishing was good in late Nov to early Dec. We got over a foot of heavy wet snow in the last few days, so getting around won't be easy. The ice isn't thick enough to drive on yet, but the colder temps are starting now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.