New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ""NORTHERN PIKE""  (Read 5669 times)

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
""NORTHERN PIKE""
« on: Mar 13, 2011, 07:41 PM »
 I would like to see what you all think are the best Northern Pike water's in New York..
  TimberKing

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ""NORTHERN PIKE""
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2011, 07:53 PM »
The DEAD SEA thats my .2
It's close

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2011, 09:10 PM »
schroon lake has some nice pike my biggest there 48" 27#

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Holy Crap Mealworm! That's one of the biggest pike I have heard of in a long time. Got any pics of that monster? Would enjoy seeing that.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2011, 09:25 PM »
my favorite is a adk lake that the locals don't like me to mention  ;)     and mealworm   take a pic of that mount and send it to mike(jager61) he would enjoy seeing the beast  ;D :o :o
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:44 AM »
Holy Crap Mealworm! That's one of the biggest pike I have heard of in a long time. Got any pics of that monster? Would enjoy seeing that.
heres a pic of the mount i lost the origianl pics sometime after having the mount done ??? during a move,believe me...not happy
to be honest i think my ex x'ed them...glad i x'd her

the tounge and grove on the wall are 8" wide

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:10 AM »
That is a very cool looking fish .......  do the huge pike all get those vertical markings on the bottom?
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:56 AM »
st. lawrence river, or cranberry lake.

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:57 AM »
wood is good

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:37 AM »
I've seen some really nice pike come out of Lake George.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Sacadanga Reservoir holds the record I believe. 46# and change. Most of then get caught in May after ice out though..

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:09 AM »
heres a pic of the mount i lost the origianl pics sometime after having the mount done ??? during a move,believe me...not happy
to be honest i think my ex x'ed them...glad i x'd her (Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Mealworm, That's some PIKE.. I have gotten a few nice ones of of Schroon Lake.  I have been work the little lake just to the south for a few years now and it has some nice pike and walleyes
 Dwight

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:14 AM »
st. lawrence river, or cranberry lake.

My son and I used to get up to Cramberry a few times a year. I never had to much luck with Pike up there but we would hammer the Bass.  It might be time to head back up there.
 Dwight

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Holy Moly Logan you almost need to put an addition onto your LR to contain that thing! That's the nicest pike mount I have ever seen! What a prize, congrats man! It must have eaten a 36" Tiger to get those stripes on it's belly! Very cool Bro!

Mike

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2011, 10:36 AM »
to be honest i think my ex x'ed them...glad i x'd her (Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Great mount buddy..... :thumbsup: :clap: :bow:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline fishlakegeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Got this one this morning on Lake George along with Lake Trout and Perch

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Holy Moly Logan you almost need to put an addition onto your LR to contain that thing! That's the nicest pike mount I have ever seen! What a prize, congrats man! It must have eaten a 36" Tiger to get those stripes on it's belly! Very cool Bro!

Mike

thanx mike,deff the coolest markings i'v ever seen on a northern.to be honest i was fishing for lakers and salmon when i caught her.8lbs mono with a single hook,got it right in the corner of the mouth.man it was like trying to wrestle a crocodile landing that thing.i'll never ever forget that fight

Offline trapper330

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2011, 07:47 PM »
This was a overall disappointing season. Although I ended the season with over a hundred Pike, only one was a taper. She came out of Champlain.  It was a fat 41 incher that was taken on a large sucker and a chartruse pikemaster harness. The second biggest one came out of the Dead Sea on a large dead shiner in 4 feet of water. I caught another dozen or so from 36-39 inch mark. I have caught big pike on the Hudson, Mohawk, Lake George, Indian lake, and a few smaller lakes. I try to take at least one big pike on the tipups per season but failed to catch what I would consider a big pike this year. I had a big keeper on the Dead Sea, but lost it after a 25 minute battle. It wrapped me around something just outside of the mouth of Masquito Bay and that was the only real big one that I had on this season. I missed him with the gaff on the second pass to the hole.  Then it took a big run and wrapped me up. Champlain was by far the most productive lake for me. Being able to use 15 tipups is a game changer. The price of and availability of large suckers also contributed to me having one of my worst seasons. Another pattern that I have been noticing is that some of my favorite spots to fish are receiving a lot more pressure. To many people are keeping pike in the 10-14 pound range that could be trophy fish in the future. I understand keeping some for the table and some if they are hooked bad but lets not be selfish. LET THEM GROW ! 

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:40 PM »
To many people are keeping pike in the 10-14 pound range that could be trophy fish in the future. I understand keeping some for the table and some if they are hooked bad but lets not be selfish. LET THEM GROW ! 
i agree 100%

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2011, 03:03 AM »
Awesome pike mealworm, love the color and stripes on the belly.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2011, 04:24 AM »
This was a overall disappointing season. Although I ended the season with over a hundred Pike, only one was a taper. She came out of Champlain.  It was a fat 41 incher that was taken on a large sucker and a chartruse pikemaster harness. The second biggest one came out of the Dead Sea on a large dead shiner in 4 feet of water. I caught another dozen or so from 36-39 inch mark. I have caught big pike on the Hudson, Mohawk, Lake George, Indian lake, and a few smaller lakes. I try to take at least one big pike on the tipups per season but failed to catch what I would consider a big pike this year. I had a big keeper on the Dead Sea, but lost it after a 25 minute battle. It wrapped me around something just outside of the mouth of Masquito Bay and that was the only real big one that I had on this season. I missed him with the gaff on the second pass to the hole.  Then it took a big run and wrapped me up. Champlain was by far the most productive lake for me. Being able to use 15 tipups is a game changer. The price of and availability of large suckers also contributed to me having one of my worst seasons. Another pattern that I have been noticing is that some of my favorite spots to fish are receiving a lot more pressure. To many people are keeping pike in the 10-14 pound range that could be trophy fish in the future. I understand keeping some for the table and some if they are hooked bad but lets not be selfish. LET THEM GROW ! 

I guess I have to ask ,just how big does a pike have to be if a 41 inch fish is not a big fish in youreyes.not saying you have to keep it ,that would be your choice,but it must have been 20 +,unless it was anorexic.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2011, 06:30 AM »
i agree a 41 inch pike isnt big? :cookoo:  another at 40  a dozen at 36 to 39   ?      my pb is 36 out of champlain        let them grow?    how big is big then?   to each there own i guess 
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Surprised by the nice Northerns that come out of the Hudson River.  Four years ago I got a 38" one while fishing Spier Falls (first cove) using large suckers off the far side point.  Went to leave after taking in the tip-ups there was another fisherman getting into his pick-up truck with a Northern even larger from the upper cove at Spier Falls.
Have also caught some nice Northerns out of Lake Lonely and there was a beauty caught on opening day last year.  The picture of that one is at the Lake Lonely Bait Shop and was returned to the lake right at the bait shop after the picture was taken.
Nice Northerns/Tiger Muskies in Putnam Pond and my buddies from Whitehall and I make a trip up there each winter.  Road in is a little rough and fishing once the ice goes out is tough because of all the weeds.  Also has some hugh largemouths.
Sacandaga use to be great for Northerns, but IMO has gone downhill lately for pike.  However the brown/rainbow trout population has really improved since I lived over there back in the 90s.

Eagle Ed

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Sounds like Ed knows where to find the big ones.  You all right though ,,need to put them back.  I have kept some 34-36'' range . but most of the time just take pic and send them on their way.
  Are any of you guys retired?

Dwight

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Sacandaga  is king for the pike in ny..... We had 8-10, 30-35 inchers. 4 at 40-42 inches just out of the hobbit hut alone this year,we broke off at least one whopper a week... Ross's tournament smallest pike was 42in...
Dont't catch um all

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2011, 01:38 PM »
Congratulations on great season you guys have had.  I'm only going on what I have experienced with friends from Gloversville, Northville, Mayfield and Broadalbin in the past few years and they now refer to Sacandaga as the "Dead Sea".  However, I and most others are really impressed with the improved fishing for rainbows and browns.  This past winter we were out and when we went to take in our tip-ups around 6:15pm we had five tip-ups with walleyes on them that didn't even set the flags off.
We fish mainly near Fish House Road/near I Go Inn and on Mayfield side near the big farmhouse and haven't had as much luck lately.  Thanks for your input.

Eagle Ed

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Got a 15lb last year on champlain,pictures then back down the hole,let them grow.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2011, 02:21 PM »
My Experiences with big pike

The Hudson from Waterford to Glens Falls was definetly the number one place for big pike until they made it legal to fish (opened it to C&R)

Big pike waters for ice fishing?

Well I would put Sacandaga Reservoir, Schroon Lake, and Lake George at the top - all together.  I've seen pretty much similar numbers of 40"+ pike come out of those places in the last 10 years.   For ultimate size, I think Schroon Lake would take it.

Two somewhat unknown monster pike producers are Paradox and Eagle Lake.    They have VERY LARGE pike in them.

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2011, 03:56 PM »
   I have been out on the Great Sacandaga a few time but only down around North Broadalbin. I know there are a couple bridges up near Northville and Batchellerville.  Can you get the boat under them?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2011, 04:05 PM »
    Can you get the boat under them?

easily :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.