Author Topic: Stagecoach conditions  (Read 841 times)

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Stagecoach conditions
« on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:40 PM »
Planning my first trip to stagecoach next week an taking a friend that's never been ice fishing. Wanted to target some of those pike in there anyone have any tips threw the ice there? Baits , depth of water , or particular structure I should keep my eyes peeled for there would be deeply appreciated thanks
Dont be Skunked

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Stagecoach conditions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2011, 12:29 AM »
Lots of pike in stagecoach, I live right next to the res., but always target trout when i fish there but at least every other trip I get into a few pike jigging, always a fun ride when I dont get broke off.   I dont realy have any first hand pike tips for you but if I were to target them Id set up near the inlets in any of the bays, less than 10FOW.  If you stop by montgomerys in yampa they have a pretty nice topo map of the lake made by fishnmaps, the maps have a lot of suggestions for where to fish and very accurate contour lines, in addition the map shows weeds, river channels, and sumberged brush.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Good to know thanks so much timk for the information! I'll keep you posted on what happens . If they break ur off ur line alot then a steel leader might be a good choice? I've fished for muskie before but never pike so similar baits an rigs for pike? Or are they finicky when it comes to line an lure size/color/baits? An is there a particular time of day that they become more active there? Thanks again
Dont be Skunked

Offline Booppr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Me and a buddy just got into pike fishing under the ice. We used tip ups last year and an automatic fisherman. I really liked the automatic fisherman because you get to use a rod and reel to fight the fish but hand lining is a rush too. We started with whole suckers in the 4 to 8 inch range with a quick strike rig which is 2 treble hooks on a steel leader and didn't get any bites. Then we wnt to a fluorocarbon leader and go a few flags. After that we tried a single circle hook, I forget what size and that has worked great so far, we caught 4 pike this year that were all over 28 inches and 9 plus pounds. When we were getting the most bites it was early in the morning or later afternoon. I haven't fished stagecoach, but tarryall and rifle gap are the only places I have tried for them. Haven't tried targeting them by jigging yet but would love to try it. Every time we go pike fishing I learn something new and get better and better. Weed lines seem to be a great place to start, if you can see bottom, we put the bait half way between the ice and bottom, it seems to cover the whole water colum that way

Offline kamala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:44 PM »
I am curious what size of circle hook you use and did you stick with 4 to 8 inch suckers with this rig?  Good info people, Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.