Author Topic: The positives about the derby...  (Read 1562 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
The positives about the derby...
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:43 PM »
And this might go for all ice fishing in general but I ran into and talked to quite a few ice fisherman from Friday through Sunday. Names did not matter, where they were from did not matter, what they were fishing for did not matter, but all of us were out having fun doing what we all enjoy - ice fishing! :)

So all and all I thought it was pretty cool to meet you whoever you were and hope you had as much fun as I did just getting out and fishing for a whole entire weekend.

-Brian

Offline Cadoda

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The positives about the derby...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2008, 12:24 AM »
Thanks for posting a possitive message.  My group didn't catch any fish, but I can say we probably had more fun than most. 
Fried food,
snowmobile
good beverage
potatoe cannons
and the list goes on

Cadoda

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:10 AM »
cadoda, were you the guys shooting the cannons off state's landing or was that another potato cannon group?
>))))))>

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:20 AM »

Got to meet many many people as I was the first shanty as they walk on the bay, people just curious as to what ice fishing was all about and amazed that it did not really matter if we did not catch a fish but just being out on the ice enjoying nature and meeting people. I treated many of them with a bowl of venison stew and a cup of hot chocolate. Even my pharmicist and his wife happened by and had some eats and drinks and loved it.  My brother-in-law who only has been out a few times, looked like he was teaching "ice fishing 101 class" at times with a whole family gathered around him as they ask questions, he loved it and is now hooked. I know we can alwayss find things to bi**ch about but there is usually many more positive things and rewarding things that come out of a day on the ice.

Offline mosred

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bucktails
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:28 AM »
So tru Riverrat, That is what it is all about.  Good company, good food & drinks and teaching those the great things that mother nature has to offer.  I'd rather be on a bucket with a jig pole during the winter than slumped on a couch working on my winter muscle.
Gone fishin, be back at dark-thirty!

Offline Rob F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishing!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:37 AM »
Yeah it was a fun weekend, except maybe NOT for the owners of the 5 trucks and 3 (or more) quads that went thru the ice this weekend. Yikes!!

Bman, where did you fish? This was my first time doing the Derby.. Fished Winnisquam the first part of the day on Sat and then went and joined a few Bubbas at their "Lodge" in Merideth Bay.

RF

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Three positive things came out of this derby for me:
1. I know Patricks Pub has some good food.
2. I will never fish in those conditions again.
3. No matter how much planning and analizying you do to pick the perfect fishing spot you can bet that someone else has come up with the same plan and spot. It's difficult to get away from the crowds. Chances are if you di it's probably not a place you really want to be fishing, lol.

Better luck next year everyone.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Sunday got there a little late and couple guys moved in on me and used all my old holes from day before. So we are sitting in the shanty surrounded by other peoples traps. Go figure.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2008, 10:08 PM »
I started early Friday scoping out spots and it got limited with the amount of slush preventing my runs from public access points. Then come derby time I (still with a serious poker face) hit the lakes early with a steadfast plan to catch the winning fish. By sunday afternoon I realized that I had fun without winning. So ya, it was fun and next year I'm going to focus on that more and try to get more people out to share in the fun.

Riverat, wished I knew it was you. I passed by you several times.

Hey Rob, started at Waukewan then Alton and Wolfeboro.

-Brian

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.