Author Topic: fellow sportsman in need  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
fellow sportsman in need
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:18 PM »
Hey guys, I just wanted to throw an idea out there and see what you all thought of it. My dad, who throughout my life has taught me to hunt, fish and has been my best friend since I can remember became very sick last may. He underwent 4 brain surgery's in a very short time. He beat the odds when they were all against him. All of this came about because of an infection in his tooth that spread to his brain.  One day in may changed my families lives forever. My dad was admitted into the hospital and did not leave for 4 months. Throughout this time he had many painful procedures and lost partial vision in his left eye. He is also struggling with short term memory loss. My family and I spent every waking moment with him. We never left his side. To make matters worse both my parents lost their jobs. They had been working at the same company for over 55 years combined and were relieved of their jobs just like that. Now, with the bills piling up and me helping as much as I can every day is still a struggle for my family. So, I was thinking of having an charity ice fishing tournament and hope that all of us can help by joining in. Open to suggestions on species or where to have this tournament. For further information go to www.davesfund.com.
Thanks again
Jason

Offline Exile

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cooking a Litlle Venie
Re: fellow sportsman in need
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:27 PM »
Good Luck with you Tourney..
Only in the U.P.  (You can take man out of the U.P. but can't take the U.P. out of the Man)

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:44 PM »
i was thinking about having it for bass sense there never any Derby's for them catch and release on a southern NH lake like onway or pawtuckaway or pleasant for cash prizes but any suggestions would be great

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:50 PM »
Make sure you contact Fish and Game first.  They may have some suggestions for you regarding species, bodies of water, etc.  Good luck with this.  If you get it up and running, I'm sure you would have a lot of support from the folks on here.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:53 PM »
i was thinking about having it for bass sense there never any Derby's for them catch and release on a southern NH lake like onway or pawtuckaway or pleasant for cash prizes but any suggestions would be great

I am not at home right now. But I have all the paperwork needed to file before any derby can be held. To be honest, I think it might be too late in the year to hold a derby with any kind of success. What you might be able to pull of is  a "game dinner." I know that there are not many around anymore (not like when I was a kid) and you can get donations.  I know I could front some bear meat and roadkill venison. I am also sure that there are a few folks here that would be willing to donate food or their time to lend a hand.

Let me know if I can help.

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Hey guys, I just wanted to throw an idea out there and see what you all thought of it. My dad, who throughout my life has taught me to hunt, fish and has been my best friend since I can remember became very sick last may. He underwent 4 brain surgery's in a very short time. He beat the odds when they were all against him. All of this came about because of an infection in his tooth that spread to his brain.  One day in may changed my families lives forever. My dad was admitted into the hospital and did not leave for 4 months. Throughout this time he had many painful procedures and lost partial vision in his left eye. He is also struggling with short term memory loss. My family and I spent every waking moment with him. We never left his side. To make matters worse both my parents lost their jobs. They had been working at the same company for over 55 years combined and were relieved of their jobs just like that. Now, with the bills piling up and me helping as much as I can every day is still a struggle for my family. So, I was thinking of having an charity ice fishing tournament and hope that all of us can help by joining in. Open to suggestions on species or where to have this tournament. For further information go to www.davesfund.com.
Thanks again
Jason

We have somewhat of a similar situation down this way with 2 fallin friends...one is the Josh P. Snyder derby, which is a huge success, and it is for Josh P. Snyder was killed in a car accident 2 weeks before he was due to attend college.  The other is in memory of our friend Tommy wren, whom died a few years ago from brain cancer.....both situations are terrible but they have positive outcomes.  I'm not sure what the laws are in your town, about having to register but its well worth a try and hif you dont have time, make sure you do it next year and annually.  Sorry about your dad.

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:04 PM »
i cant just get a bunch of guys together and have a Private tourney ?

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:10 PM »
I don't think you can when there is $$$$ involved.  I'm sure DD will have more info.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline tundra1965

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:14 PM »
If get this up and running wil be glad to join and help out if can just let me know.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:23 PM »
I don't think you can when there is $$$$ involved.  I'm sure DD will have more info.

Negative.........There are big fines including the loss of licenses of the participants. You have to register with the state no less than 30 days before the tourney AND the F&G Dept has to approve the body of water and the species being sought. There is a paperwork trail but it is not bad. Like I said, there is not enough time this year to hold a decent, money making tourney.

I think the game supper is more what you would be looking for as far as a decent fundraiser.

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:47 PM »
what is a game dinner

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:17 PM »
I would love to paricipate in something like this if you can get it approved and would also help promote it (Spread the word )

I know that you do have to file the proper paperwork for a derby and I'm pretty sure it cannot target bass ( check NHF&G rulebook )

If you have the time, maybe you could call the department in Concord and get the paperwork done ASAP and get this thing going?

Either way good luck and Best wishes to your Father and Family.

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:07 AM »
thank you im going to call f&g today and see what we can get going

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2008, 08:57 AM »
what is a game dinner

a game dinner is just what the name says. People donate game and it gets cooked. All different kinds of game too. Then people buy the tickets and come in and eat it.

Offline WetlinesNCocktails

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaaaaaaaaag!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:05 AM »
Sounds like you'll have plenty of help and support.  Good luck!
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."   - Benjamin Franklin

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2008, 10:48 AM »
just a heads up for you. after you finalize all your plans, be sure to notify Scott: aka "iceshanty" with all the information so he can give you the go ahead with posting it on iceshanty. I would hate to see all your hard work deleted from this site because of not following the iceshanty rules. I hope this helps and good luck to you with your endeavour.

HIMO
                                    Wisconsin Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.