Author Topic: Broke my auger first trip out  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Smokenmirrors1

• IceShanty Rookie
Broke my auger first trip out
« on: Jan 26, 2013, 03:29 PM »
 Hit Silver Lake Madison for the first time with my 10 inch Ice King. Two holes drilled and disaster struck! Snapped the auger at the tip.Hoping it can be welded but not too sure how strong it will be. Real drag because it was running like a champ. Anyone know where parts are available?  Did , however, get 2 16 inch rainbows..Son caught one and I got the other. Family had a great time. Next time food on the ice. If anyone loves Silver Lake like I do a d you need some company, please drop me a line.  Regards, Smokemirrors
In glacie oportet verum

Offline fishamusmaximus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Broke my auger first trip out
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Check Dag's in Auburn, ME. They have parts for Eskimo and  Jifffy. They sponsor on the Maine community pages
They were biting great out here an hour ago but........

Offline Lakertaker101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:43 PM »
yeah i broke my auger last week. i have an eskimo and i hate how they are made with all kind of little welds that dont hold up. ive re welded one side of it last year and now the other side broke!  when i called eskimo to ask why it breaks so easy. the woman replied , "that this can happen when the ice forms uneven therefore its do to mother nature and not manufacturing defect". and i calmly replied then its def. a engineering design flaw. my next auger will def be a jiffy.

Offline fishamusmaximus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:23 AM »
ok my auger last week. i have an eskimo and i hate how they are made with all kind of little welds that dont hold up. ive re welded one side of it last year and now the other side broke!  when i called eskimo to ask why it breaks so easy. the woman replied , "that this can happen when the ice forms uneven therefore its do to mother nature and not manufacturing defect". and i calmly replied then its def. a engineering design flaw. my next auger will def be a jiffy.

From what my brother tells me(he works for LL Bean) the employee store is loaded with the augers you are going to buy next time. They get returned in droves because they are not made well. This post will probably get pulled because they "can't handle the truth". I have an 8"eskimo and the only problem is the fuel eats up the fuel system lines and bulbs .

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:51 AM »
From what my brother tells me(he works for LL Bean) the employee store is loaded with the augers you are going to buy next time. They get returned in droves because they are not made well. This post will probably get pulled because they "can't handle the truth". I have an 8"eskimo and the only problem is the fuel eats up the fuel system lines and bulbs .

Who is it that you refer to as in " They can't handle the truth" ? ???

The truth is, I've had a Jiffy for ten years now, and it's never ate a bulb or a fuel line... In fact I've never had any major problems with it! My next auger will be another Jiffy for sure, after hearing about your Eskimo problems! ;)

The truth is not all of those augers returned to beans have something wrong with them. Lots of people buy augers on Fri use them all weekend, and return them on Mon. There's many reasons, And excuses why people return augers to beans. Mostly because of their lenient return policy.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:10 AM »
I agree James...I bought a jiffy stealth 3 hp 12 years Go and she still purrs...she will probably break down next week...hsha
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline fishamusmaximus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:15 PM »
Older jiffys  are fine beware of new ones. A thread in the Maine ice fishing was pulled for discussing the same subject a week ago. I didn't post it but contributed to the discussion. It was pulled because some jiffy owner had a new one that bogged down after 2 holes and died. It came with packing peanuts in the oil sump (I guess the new ones are 4 cycle) I have a USCG chief engineers license for any horsepower ship (Motor/Steam/Gas Turbine) and 32 year experience with engines. I still like my Eskimo engine. My brother who works at beans has an old jiffy which is a warhorse. It was my fathers. Don't tell me about engines.

Offline Smokenmirrors1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Update: My auger is back in business. Was able to weld the point back on so I'm good to go for the weekend.
I'm a firm believer in karma. Went to Silver Lake on Sunday and gave a dozen shiners to some guys fishing with a young boy.
Chatting with an acquaintance on Monday and td him about the broken auger. He gave me a Strikemaster 10 inch he was throwing away. Told me he had it in a scrap pile and was going to trash it. Clean fuel and drained the carb and Voila! Started third pull. Nice to have a spare. Fishing Sat and Sun. Good luck everyone and Tight Lines.
In glacie oportet verum

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:50 PM »
can't beat that. glad to hear it.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Update: My auger is back in business. Was able to weld the point back on so I'm good to go for the weekend.
I'm a firm believer in karma. Went to Silver Lake on Sunday and gave a dozen shiners to some guys fishing with a young boy.
Chatting with an acquaintance on Monday and td him about the broken auger. He gave me a Strikemaster 10 inch he was throwing away. Told me he had it in a scrap pile and was going to trash it. Clean fuel and drained the carb and Voila! Started third pull. Nice to have a spare. Fishing Sat and Sun. Good luck everyone and Tight Lines.

:thumbsup:
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.