Author Topic: cat fish/horn pout  (Read 8101 times)

Offline smelt stalker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • eat sleep fish......
cat fish/horn pout
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:40 PM »
any body ever catch any threw the ice? never realy hear of any one catchin them in the hard water season?
if the wii had ice fishin id play it all summer....

Offline ssearah

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: cat fish/horn pout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Yes last year we caught a couple.... having a heck of a time remembering where though

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I have seen a few caught at the country pond ice derby a few years back
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:57 PM »
I did catch one nice one, but it was the only one -  and that was year's ago.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:01 PM »
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline smelt stalker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • eat sleep fish......
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:04 PM »
that is an awsome picture
if the wii had ice fishin id play it all summer....

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:08 PM »
that is an awsome picture

Thanks!  I actually caught that fish in Maine during very early ice last year.  I wasn't targeting them, but it was an interesting surprise!  That was the only one, however.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Sure ;D

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:14 PM »
We get a bunch at lake potanipo in Brookline....caught them on shiners and jigging.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:15 PM »
One of the guys I was with this weekend caught one on a tip up in about six feet of water. It sure isn't something we see all the time seems like all the time spent and number of lines out each year the numbers should be higher.

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:36 PM »
Now you guys that have caught them, is there any way to target them through the ice?
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Hounded819

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:38 PM »
we got a couple dozen last season. fishing right on the weed edges about 6 inch from the bottom with shinners. wasnt targeting them but were fun to get

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:46 PM »
We get them from time to time in the day light, but we have had good luck Ice fishing for them at night. Night crawler just off the bottom works well and I have had good luck getting a bunch jigging at night... They love glow in the dark jigs.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I don't know about through the ice but I can tell you that chicken mcnuggets in the nuclear orange buffalo sauce always puts in the boat during open water.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:14 AM »
minnow with broken tail

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:54 AM »
     They are more rare in the winter but they can be targeted.  They are nocturnal for the most part so early morning, and dusk for day fishing works best. Dark days seem to produce more.  I don't target them but catch a few every season.  On the bottom to 1' off the bottom.  Always with scented or live bait.  It is my belief thatyou have to be near them for them to move, so moving around a bit will probably get you more.  Target the same body of waters you target them in summer and spring.  Most of mine have been in 16'-24' of water, but so are most of the other fish.  You night try targeting beaver den openings also.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:21 AM »
 I've caught Brown bull heads, white cats and eels through the ice... If i were targeting Cat's.. I'd chum my holes in the morning with chicken livers or beef heart.. return at sun down with night crawlers...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:26 PM »
I've caught a few..even had one up near the top in the IS tourney...it was a few years back. Probably caught 4 total all from the same pond
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:21 PM »
I've caught Brown bull heads, white cats and eels through the ice... If i were targeting Cat's.. I'd chum my holes in the morning with chicken livers or beef heart.. return at sun down with night crawlers...

Roccus Good to see your posts.  Hope all is well.  Hope to see you on the ice soon.

OD
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Same here my friend .. hope all is well and your getting a few "odd fish"...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Relentless Pursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:54 PM »
We catch them in Maine but not real often.

Offline icefshninnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Stump field caught 2 yellow bellies on worms at dusk

Offline icemanbb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:41 AM »
I remember reading about some guys catching catfish over in Cub Pond in Danville. I think they are channels that someone put in  there. I beleive it's a pond that you have to hike into, maybe someone knows more about it. If you want to do some serious hard-water cat fishing, try southern Lake Champlain. We used to go to an ice fishing tourney at Bensons Landing and these guys would catch 5-10lb channel cats on a regular basis. We would mostly target walleyes, saugers and crappies but there were also bass, pike and the occasional laker that would wander down that far. If they still have the tourney it's worth the trip just to see all the strange fish they catch.
Where else can a simple mortal like myself walk on water?

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:59 AM »
I remember reading about some guys catching catfish over in Cub Pond in Danville. I think they are channels that someone put in  there. I beleive it's a pond that you have to hike into, maybe someone knows more about it. If you want to do some serious hard-water cat fishing, try southern Lake Champlain. We used to go to an ice fishing tourney at Bensons Landing and these guys would catch 5-10lb channel cats on a regular basis. We would mostly target walleyes, saugers and crappies but there were also bass, pike and the occasional laker that would wander down that far. If they still have the tourney it's worth the trip just to see all the strange fish they catch.

cub has record fish in it, problem is its only private access now and no one lets you in.

Offline icemanbb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Fishless, nice cat. Is that from Cub? I lived in Danville for years and every Fall I would say "this year I am going to hike into Cub Pond and fish". Needless to say I never did. Too bad it's closed off now, just like so many other hunting and fishing spots in Southern NH. Tight lines!
Where else can a simple mortal like myself walk on water?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:00 PM »
cub has record fish in it, problem is its only private access now and no one lets you in.

(Image removed from quote.)

Wicked cat man! Thanks for sharing.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:37 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
Is this really you in the picture, Doug D?? we went to school together....small world

Offline fishamusmaximus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:04 PM »
We catch them up in the local ponds in Conway in 6 feet of water with worms and shiners
They were biting great out here an hour ago but........

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Is this really you in the picture, Doug D?? we went to school together....small world
thats doug, we fished that pond for a few years. caught alot of them that size. thats probably 20 years ago. dougs over on shadow lake now

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Have caught them several times at Naticook Lake in Merrimack. Shiners just off the bottom/tops of weeds while targeting bass....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.